PDA

View Full Version : Progress with pics..

WhiteTang
05/18/2014, 11:58 AM
Hello everyone!

I have a couple questions to ask so I'll start with what I have done so far..

This is my first ever marine tank! (http://cl.ly/image/0q3o3S1c0p2f)

It's a IM Nuvo 16G nano tank. I started cycling (http://cl.ly/image/1g3u0L1K1O3p) with live rock and live sand.

A month later and after rearranging the aquascape and the MP10 position this is how it looks. (http://cl.ly/image/2N2L3N210U2i)

Yesterday I added my first clown fish and 2 trochus snails. I also turned on the lights, I have been cycling without lights. One of the snails has been very active on a part of the live rock. The other one climbed on the top right corner and stayed there since. The clown is really small and hangs out also on the right side of the tank. He still hasen't been exploring the rest of the tank. Is that normal? Do they stay just on a real small area? Also...I gave him some frozen mysis shrimp that I thawed in aquarium water. He would put it in his mouth and spit it. I then tried feeding NYOS Goldpods, he ate some but also did that thing where he would swallow it and spit it out back.. Is that a normal behaviour?

The other thing that I noted is small green hair/grass like algae (http://cl.ly/image/2i3z001j1t08) growing on my glass.

Am I about to experience an algae bloom? Note: I have been using ONLY RO/DI water, no tap, not RO either, just RO/DI.

The other stuff that I noticed was this stain like algae (brownish) (http://cl.ly/image/2u2d2x3R442F)growing on the back of the tank. What is that?

whosurcaddie
05/18/2014, 12:49 PM
Nice looking tank. I love the nuvo's.

Firstly if the clownfish is small it might have a hard time eating larger pieces of food. That's why it takes it into its mouth and then spits it out. Maybe look into getting some cyclopeeze. I wouldn't worry about this though its normal.

Do you have test kits? 4 weeks is a really short time for a cycle? The brown algea is diatoms and it is normal. its also normal have a little algae in a reef tank but you need to make sure your P04(phosphate) doesn't get out of control. Regular water changes will help with this. I would do 10% a week. 10% on a tank that size is cake.

I would watch the clown close if your cycle isn't completely finished it could have some problems. But the behavior its showing is normal.

Good luck and enjoy the tank!

WhiteTang
05/18/2014, 12:52 PM
Nice looking tank. I love the nuvo's.

Firstly if the clownfish is small it might have a hard time eating larger pieces of food. That's why it takes it into its mouth and then spits it out. Maybe look into getting some cyclopeeze. I wouldn't worry about this though its normal.

Do you have test kits? 4 weeks is a really short time for a cycle? The brown algea is diatoms and it is normal. its also normal have a little algae in a reef tank but you need to make sure your P04(phosphate) doesn't get out of control. Regular water changes will help with this. I would do 10% a week. 10% on a tank that size is cake.

I would watch the clown close if your cycle isn't completely finished it could have some problems. But the behavior its showing is normal.

Good luck and enjoy the tank!

Thanks for the reply!
I have repeatedly tested my water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates with Red Sea test kit. I get 0 on ammonia and nitrates. I had some high nitrates (50) but after a couple 20% water changes I got them to 25. I also added some chaeto to further help with the nitrates and added some purigen too which is supposed to keep them from rising higher (not lower them). I am planning on weekly 20% water changes. I know the tank is far from stable but I'm keeping a close eye on everything right now.
Also PH is stable at 8.

scott3569
05/18/2014, 01:27 PM
Also since you did not qt, you will probably end up with ich your your display

WhiteTang
05/18/2014, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the reply :) I will let you know if I do.

Jmunk
05/18/2014, 02:19 PM
This is just simply not true.

Just because you don't QT new additions does not AUTOMATICALLY mean you're going to have an ich infestation in your tank.

whosurcaddie
05/18/2014, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the reply!
I have repeatedly tested my water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates with Red Sea test kit. I get 0 on ammonia and nitrates. I had some high nitrates (50) but after a couple 20% water changes I got them to 25. I also added some chaeto to further help with the nitrates and added some purigen too which is supposed to keep them from rising higher (not lower them). I am planning on weekly 20% water changes. I know the tank is far from stable but I'm keeping a close eye on everything right now.
Also PH is stable at 8.

25 is fine don't get too obsessed with lowering nitrate anything in the 25 or lower range is fine. Phosphate is much more important to get under control. I don't know the layout of the nuvo's but I would look into getting some GFO and putting it where the purigen is.

rlm2005
05/18/2014, 04:48 PM

Maybe, maybe not. I never qt'd with my first tanks and I never experienced ich. At one point I had 4 separate tanks thriving. I qt now but I still don't medicate unless I see signs of illness. My cupramine and prazi pro remain unopened and unused. No ich in my tank. I'm not advocating not QTing your purchases, I think it's a good practice but it's a little much to make a declaration that you will have ich in your tank because you didn't do it.

scott3569
05/18/2014, 04:55 PM
I did say probably, I mean with all the issues out there the likely hood is pretty high, if thats a chance you want to take or anyone else than cool..But IMHO, it's not something I want to start out dealing with..I have put in to much time and money, just like everyone else..to then have to deal with ich in the tank or brook or velvet for that matter..I just want to be clear that I didn't say he WOULD get ich, I said he PROBABLY would