PDA

View Full Version : Tang aggression help

FishN00b83
05/19/2014, 05:11 PM
so I put two new tangs in my 125 last Monday (small powder blue and a medium kole tang). I have a yellow tang that's been in for a good 6 months. the YT doesn't give a crap about the kole, but really doesn't like the PB at all. it's no constant harassment, but it's enough to rip a fin and split the tail.

I tried putting a mirror on the glass for two days, but the YT didn't care. all the other fish were stuck to the glass, but the YT couldn't care less. what else can I try to alleviate some of the aggression? I always make sure I have nori in the tank and my feeder drops pellets in the tank 3 times a day. I know food isn't a factor....what can I try?

Dmorty217
05/19/2014, 05:41 PM
Other than catching and reacclimating the tangs and rearranging rock work, nothing. The aggression is only going to get worse with the tangs getting bigger in a 125g.

ca1ore
05/19/2014, 05:47 PM
If you can catch the powder blue and put it into an acclimation box that may help. What are the relative sizes of the yellow and powder blue? Did you QT the PB? If not, you'll probably be catching it shortly anyhow.

FishN00b83
05/19/2014, 06:38 PM
Other than catching and reacclimating the tangs and rearranging rock work, nothing. The aggression is only going to get worse with the tangs getting bigger in a 125g.

how would I reacclimate them?

If you can catch the powder blue and put it into an acclimation box that may help. What are the relative sizes of the yellow and powder blue? Did you QT the PB? If not, you'll probably be catching it shortly anyhow.

what size acclimation box would I need? the yellow is about 5.5 inches, PB is about 4 and the kole is around 4.5. I made sure to QT both the new tangs for 6 weeks. I did TT, prazi, and 2 cycles of metro. how would I use the box at this point being the YT isn't happy?

ca1ore
05/19/2014, 07:15 PM
what size acclimation box would I need? the yellow is about 5.5 inches, PB is about 4 and the kole is around 4.5. I made sure to QT both the new tangs for 6 weeks. I did TT, prazi, and 2 cycles of metro. how would I use the box at this point being the YT isn't happy?

If you can catch it, putting the yellow into an acclimation box would likely be best. Good sized fish at over 5 inches so size, as you surmise, could be a problem. I made my own box because the commercial ones were too small - doesn't help you much unless you plan to be in CT in which case you can borrow it.

FishN00b83
05/19/2014, 07:21 PM
If you can catch it, putting the yellow into an acclimation box would likely be best. Good sized fish at over 5 inches so size, as you surmise, could be a problem. I made my own box because the commercial ones were too small - doesn't help you much unless you plan to be in CT in which case you can borrow it.

damn I don't have any acrylic skills AT ALL. do you think putting the YT in QT for a week help at all? I know where he sleeps and I can get em pretty easy if I go late night. I can put the nori up towards the surface and scoop em up too. I've done that before.

ca1ore
05/19/2014, 07:27 PM
damn I don't have any acrylic skills AT ALL.

Hah! Well mine are rudimentary at best. Fortunately an acclimation box is a temporary thing so doesn't matter all that much what it looks like.

Do you think putting the YT in QT for a week help at all? I know where he sleeps and I can get em pretty easy if I go late night. I can put the nori up towards the surface and scoop em up too. I've done that before.

You know what, I should have thought to suggest that; it probably would help - and certainly couldn't hurt!

FishN00b83
05/19/2014, 07:30 PM
Hah! Well mine are rudimentary at best. Fortunately an acclimation box is a temporary thing so doesn't matter all that much what it looks like.

You know what, I should have thought to suggest that; it probably would help - and certainly couldn't hurt!

yeah I'm watching them now and the YT is brutal during sunset time. I'm going to pull him and try him again in a week. it's either that or I just get rid of him and get one a little smaller.

M Woodhill
05/19/2014, 07:56 PM
rearrangement of rockwork works for me

FishN00b83
05/19/2014, 08:01 PM
yeah I'm not real happy with my rockwork right now, but with the tank I have (125g long with 2 megaflow overflows on the back wall). I'm not sure what else I can do aside from the rockwall.

CedzAquAddictio
05/20/2014, 11:10 AM
yeah I'm watching them now and the YT is brutal during sunset time. I'm going to pull him and try him again in a week. it's either that or I just get rid of him and get one a little smaller.

IME, this is because this is when they are the most territorial. It may be due to them not wanting to share their sleeping spot with any other tangs...

Did you manage to pull the YT? Honestly, you may always have aggression issues in 125g with a YT and PBT. Different body styles, but still relatively aggressive in their own rights. That PBT will be a brute in a 125g when it gets larger.

If you decide to keep all three, your best bet is to pull the YT, re-arrange the rock-work, and re-introduce it after a few weeks (and another minor re-arrangement of the rockwork. The PBT will be territorial by this time). Another thing that gave me good results was to set up the QT right next to the DT so the fish could see, but not harm eachother. By the time the QT period was over, the YT had raised all of the hell it was going to raise by seeing the new fish, and aggression was very minimal upon introduction. In your case, an acclimation box in addition to the aforementioned is probably in order...

slgcmg
05/20/2014, 11:08 PM
I saw someone literally tape a cut out picture of a yellow tang on his glass and his yellow tang stopped messing with his new purple tang instantly.

FishN00b83
05/21/2014, 03:56 AM
IME, this is because this is when they are the most territorial. It may be due to them not wanting to share their sleeping spot with any other tangs...

Did you manage to pull the YT? Honestly, you may always have aggression issues in 125g with a YT and PBT. Different body styles, but still relatively aggressive in their own rights. That PBT will be a brute in a 125g when it gets larger.

If you decide to keep all three, your best bet is to pull the YT, re-arrange the rock-work, and re-introduce it after a few weeks (and another minor re-arrangement of the rockwork. The PBT will be territorial by this time). Another thing that gave me good results was to set up the QT right next to the DT so the fish could see, but not harm eachother. By the time the QT period was over, the YT had raised all of the hell it was going to raise by seeing the new fish, and aggression was very minimal upon introduction. In your case, an acclimation box in addition to the aforementioned is probably in order...

I'll be pulling the yellow tang out tonight. I had to buy a bigger net because he grew out of the old one I had. my QT tank is setup right next to the tank, but it didn't seem to work. the mirror on the glass didn't seem to do anything either. I think I'll keep the YT out for a week and try to come up with another rock arrangement, but it'll be hard with the tank I have. I think the only option I have is the rock wall. anyone have any ideas for the rocks? I have a 6' 125 with duel megaflow overflows on the back wall. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Curtispants
05/21/2014, 11:50 AM
I'll be pulling the yellow tang out tonight. I had to buy a bigger net because he grew out of the old one I had. my QT tank is setup right next to the tank, but it didn't seem to work. the mirror on the glass didn't seem to do anything either. I think I'll keep the YT out for a week and try to come up with another rock arrangement, but it'll be hard with the tank I have. I think the only option I have is the rock wall. anyone have any ideas for the rocks? I have a 6' 125 with duel megaflow overflows on the back wall. I'm not sure what else I can do.

The rock wall isn't your only option, you can get rid of one of the tangs. As everyone else is trying to tell you, even if you get them to get along as buddies NOW, eventually you're going to be dealing with the same problems down the road. Also, netting your yellow tang isn't the best idea in the world. I'd never net a tang. Try to catch him with a Tupperware container or something along those lines.

FishN00b83
05/21/2014, 11:57 AM
The rock wall isn't your only option, you can get rid of one of the tangs. As everyone else is trying to tell you, even if you get them to get along as buddies NOW, eventually you're going to be dealing with the same problems down the road. Also, netting your yellow tang isn't the best idea in the world. I'd never net a tang. Try to catch him with a Tupperware container or something along those lines.

you're right. I'll try to pull it and reintroduce. if it doesn't work I'll just bring em to the LFS. I will try the Tupperware container before the net too.

Curtispants
05/21/2014, 12:58 PM
I've even used plastic bowls to catch tangs. The last thing you want to do is get it caught up in the net and injure it.

pontiac
05/21/2014, 05:14 PM
I agree with dmorty, 125 is to small for even the pbt imo, I would remove the pbt , tempers will only get worse if u don't and sumone will meet their end.

FishN00b83
05/22/2014, 05:27 AM
everywhere I've seen, including this community says a 6' 125 is ok for a PBT. now if that's wrong, I'll have to sell it, but all the information I've read, and I've read a lot, says a 6' tank is ok. I'll start with the YT and see what happens.

gnorman
05/22/2014, 08:20 PM
did you try re doing the aquascape? I hope it worked, it always did for me

sandwi54
05/22/2014, 09:41 PM
everywhere I've seen, including this community says a 6' 125 is ok for a PBT. now if that's wrong, I'll have to sell it, but all the information I've read, and I've read a lot, says a 6' tank is ok. I'll start with the YT and see what happens.

While a 6' tank is ok to keep a PBT, a 125g is too small to keep multiple tangs together long term. A 180g instead will most likely be ok to keep a PBT and YT together with minimal aggression.

FishN00b83
05/23/2014, 03:41 AM
did you try re doing the aquascape? I hope it worked, it always did for me

I pulled the YT and it's in QT. Ill leave it out for a week or maybe even 2, then rework the rocks. hopefully that does something.

FishN00b83
06/06/2014, 06:16 AM
so I put a rock in the yellow tangs sleeping cave and put em back in. they seem to be tolerating each other a lot better. the PBT swims all around the tank and doesn't swim away from the YT. eating from the same clip doesn't seem to be a problem either. I think everyone is ok for now, hopefully it stays that way. thanks for the help/info....much appreciated.

Triggerfish
06/06/2014, 09:13 AM
kept a PB few years back in a 125..real nice..but just began to get too territorial . no other tangs in the tank. tough decision but i ended up taking it out. wasnt something i cared to watch while looking at tank.

CoralsAddiction
06/06/2014, 09:22 AM
Honestly, you may always have aggression issues in 125g with a YT and PBT. Different body styles, but still relatively aggressive in their own rights. That PBT will be a brute in a 125g when it gets larger.

I agree. Having only one tang in there is probably the most ideal. There are so many other beautiful fish out there that can add movement and color. But that's just me.