PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a mantis shrimp tank.

sharkfrog98
05/19/2014, 05:52 PM
I have always been interested in the ocean and in the past couple mouth I have decided to get a mantis shrimp. I have only ever owned fresh water tanks and I was needing some help figuring out where to start and what I needed. I know that for this specific specie of mantis shrimp (gonodactylus chiragra) I need at least a 20 gallon acrylic tank. I was hoping to get some more information on what other things I need like heater.

Kharn
05/20/2014, 02:01 AM
I don't want to burst your bubble or anything but when first getting into Stomatopods 1 thing I learned early was, you don't get what you always want, you get what's available.

Check out the sticky threads in the top of this sub forum on Mantis Shrimp for the details on keeping them in Aquariums, they will likely answer most of your questions, but also likely create some...so after reading them, question them and ask us :D.

FishInABarrel
05/20/2014, 07:33 AM
+1 to what Kharn said. See what species you can get and then go from there. It sounds like they are usually rock hitchhikers and not actually caught to be imported and sold. Someone may correct me on this as I haven't had saltwater tanks that long.

stepho
05/20/2014, 11:46 AM
+1 to what Kharn said. See what species you can get and then go from there. It sounds like they are usually rock hitchhikers and not actually caught to be imported and sold. Someone may correct me on this as I haven't had saltwater tanks that long.

It's probably easier to get one from a collector as most people not interested in keeping them just kill it rather than finding it a new home.

sharkfrog98
05/20/2014, 02:14 PM
When I started looking the first thing I did whats look for available species and the gonodactylus chirgara is the one I have found a location near me that sales them.

I don't want the above statement to sound rude I do appreciate the advice about the collectors and sticky threads and will have to look into that.

Calappidae
05/20/2014, 03:46 PM
When I started looking the first thing I did whats look for available species and the gonodactylus chirgara is the one I have found a location near me that sales them.

I don't want the above statement to sound rude I do appreciate the advice about the collectors and sticky threads and will have to look into that.

Most LFS and online stores know the difference between species as good as a dollar and a penny..

If the mantis is ugley.. they usually just call it a chiragra.. if it's pretty they call it a peacock. That's basic LFS and online store logic to consiture.

That location that has it may or may not even be a chiragra unless you can id it perfectly. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=g_chiragra
Or post an image here for us to ID.

sharkfrog98
05/20/2014, 05:23 PM
278482 Here is best of the images I have.

Islandoftiki
05/20/2014, 06:03 PM

What is this, a picture for ants?

sharkfrog98
05/20/2014, 06:22 PM
Sorry it is the only one that is not bleary.

Fartin'Gary
05/20/2014, 06:35 PM
What is this, a picture for ants?

It's going to need to be at least three times this big. :lol:

sharkfrog98
05/20/2014, 07:20 PM
I will see about getting a better image.

Islandoftiki
05/20/2014, 07:47 PM
I will see about getting a better image.

The image looks good, it's just the size of a postage stamp on my screen. Do you have something bigger than 200 pixels square?

Calappidae
05/21/2014, 09:21 AM

Noo... that's the image from thatpetplace you do not know if they have chiragra that's just one specimen they had.. no body can say that specimen will be the same one. It's a representative photo not an EXACT specimen photo. Liveaquaria has an image of an O. scyllarus on their website.. not a single member on here recieved an O. scyllarus when ordering from them... heck some people recieved a chiragra from liveaquaria when ordering a "Clown mantis" when the picture clearly shows a peacock.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/chiragra-mantis-shrimp-gonodactylus-chiragra

Scunch
05/22/2014, 03:48 PM
You probably don't want a chiragra, friend. They're notoriously seclusive and inactive. You might catch a glimpse of it on occasion or see it peering out of its' hole, but for the most part you'll only know it's there because you can hear it smashing out it's home in your liverock and see the cracked shells of any snails or hermit crabs you leave in there.