PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Zoas missing

thedasher
05/19/2014, 05:57 PM
I need some help figuring out what happens to my corals. I have a few different types if zoas and last week my yellow zoas disappear off the rock and today my tubb blues were gone. The fish I have are platinum clowns, green chromis, pajama cardinal, engineer goby, diamond goby, and a niger trigger. Do think one of them ate it?

ReeferBill
05/23/2014, 02:14 PM
Your Trigger is pulling the trigger on your corals!

thedasher
05/23/2014, 02:30 PM
Your Trigger is pulling the trigger on your corals!

Do you think that amphipods might of ate them because I heard that sometimes big amphipods will eat zoas. I also noticed a few huge amphipods in the tank.

thedasher
05/26/2014, 09:08 PM
Caught the trigger with the easiest way. Just put the net in the tank, waited till he was near the glass and shut off the light and quickly moves the net right on him. Turned on the light and scooped him out into the sump.

thedasher
05/27/2014, 05:18 AM
Just looked at the tank and more zoas are gone. Do you think hermit crabs might of ate them.

ca1ore
05/27/2014, 06:33 AM
Some pictures would help. Either something is eating them or they are dying off.

thedasher
05/27/2014, 06:58 AM
The zoas are completely eaten off the frag plug. Now there's just the super glue on the plug.

MacWilliams
05/27/2014, 07:40 AM
I would say its the Trigger since its not reef safe at all. Other than that there could be a parasite in the tank. Pods or hermits would not eat zoas but hermits could have knocked them off the glue. I have hermits in my tank with plenty of zoas and have no issues.

thedasher
05/27/2014, 07:50 AM
I took the trigger out last night and these zoanthids are disappearing fast. About 10 polyps gone overnight. Can a parasite eat them that fast?

reefwars
05/27/2014, 06:12 PM
I took the trigger out last night and these zoanthids are disappearing fast. About 10 polyps gone overnight. Can a parasite eat them that fast?

check the zoanthids at night for pests mainly nudis or spiders, these cant consume 10 polyps at one time though unless population numbers are fairly high. but if you have hermits more than likely if they are freshly glued frags then they are removing them from the plugs as they walk over them , the same happens with large snails.

while the niger isnt considered reef safe its not because they eat zoanthids its more for small crustaceans and inverts. if anything your niger is one of the more safe triggers in a reef right up there with the blue throats and crosshatch.

thedasher
05/27/2014, 06:34 PM
check the zoanthids at night for pests mainly nudis or spiders, these cant consume 10 polyps at one time though unless population numbers are fairly high. but if you have hermits more than likely if they are freshly glued frags then they are removing them from the plugs as they walk over them , the same happens with large snails.

while the niger isnt considered reef safe its not because they eat zoanthids its more for small crustaceans and inverts. if anything your niger is one of the more safe triggers in a reef right up there with the blue throats and crosshatch.

I'm almost positive its not a parasite, I think its the pj cardinal because my dad said he saw it nip at a zoa. So I'll see if anything changes if I take him out of the tank. Thanks

degibson84
05/27/2014, 06:43 PM
Triggers won't eat corals. I know of plenty of niger triggers being in a reef with no issues. The only thing they will go after are the inverts. Shrimp crabs and snails

cynbob
05/27/2014, 08:00 PM
maybe its the cardinal??just a though

thedasher
05/27/2014, 08:44 PM
I think I found the killer. There's one hermit crab that wasn't a blue leg hermit. It has greenish/brownish legs.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/28/7evy2e8e.jpg

Tiki God
05/27/2014, 09:44 PM
Hopefully that's him! What are the casualties (zoa wise)?