PDA

View Full Version : 29gallon setup...let me know what you think

nofr1ends
05/20/2014, 02:49 AM
Hey guys.. a friend of mine from work gave me a 29gallon bowfront that I want to setup. Id like to put mostly corals in there, some fish.

I think I have my lighting figured out.. Im going to go with a Dimmable Onyx by Rapid LED (unless you guys have a different recommendation).

Do I need to have a skimmer if Im going to keep my livestock low?

Eventually I would like to run a sump and a skimmer but I don't really like the look of the hob skimmers and funds don't permit for a insump skimmer at this time.

How much rock should I put in there? 30 lbs?
What about sand? 15 lbs?

Im sure this has been beaten to death but Im a newb :deadhorse1:

What about powerheads?

nofr1ends
05/21/2014, 02:17 AM
nobody? mkay. haha.

PinkPunisher
05/21/2014, 10:08 AM
Skimmer is optional on smaller tanks, I will personally just be doing 10% weekly water changes on my 20L when its up and running. Rock amount is also a personal choice, I prefer minimalistic tanks so I'll be trying to use around 10lbs or so. I will be going for a shallow sand bed (0.75") I won't be keeping anything that needs a deeper sand bed. In regards to powerheads its dependent on what you want to keep in terms of corals, if you want SPS then you want high flow and it to be random flow. LPS same thing would be ideal just with less flow, and with softies you can as a rule get away with just a cheap powerhead blasting in one direction the whole time. I will personally be running a WP10 on my 20L, its about $60 and has lots of option in terms of flow patterns.

The reason why you haven't receive much response is likely because your asking questions about setting up your system in an equipment forum. You'd be best browsing through the nano forum & beginner forum and doing lots of reading. Don't rush into anything, especially equipment, that is how you make poor choices that you later regret when you decide you need to buy something different. Also as a rule, you get what you pay for, buying the cheapest parts will give poor results.

Amoore311
05/21/2014, 10:14 AM
I have a 28 Gallon Biocube. Different layout but same system volume.

I change 1 gallon of water M/W/F. Haven't had any issues at all. I have roughly 20-30 lbs of rock in the tank, and no sand at all. The size water change takes me 10 minutes at the most. So the frequency isn't exactly a strain on my day to day schedule lol.

The amount of sand you put in is your discretion. Deep Sand Beds need to be maintained though. If you just want it for aesthetics go for a depth of around 1" give or take.

15-20 Lbs should be fine.

Can you set up a refugium in the sump? That will go a long way to promote biodiversity and nitrate filtration in a nano. Further lessening the need for a protein skimmer.

nofr1ends
05/24/2014, 01:54 AM
Skimmer is optional on smaller tanks, I will personally just be doing 10% weekly water changes on my 20L when its up and running. Rock amount is also a personal choice, I prefer minimalistic tanks so I'll be trying to use around 10lbs or so. I will be going for a shallow sand bed (0.75") I won't be keeping anything that needs a deeper sand bed. In regards to powerheads its dependent on what you want to keep in terms of corals, if you want SPS then you want high flow and it to be random flow. LPS same thing would be ideal just with less flow, and with softies you can as a rule get away with just a cheap powerhead blasting in one direction the whole time. I will personally be running a WP10 on my 20L, its about $60 and has lots of option in terms of flow patterns.

The reason why you haven't receive much response is likely because your asking questions about setting up your system in an equipment forum. You'd be best browsing through the nano forum & beginner forum and doing lots of reading. Don't rush into anything, especially equipment, that is how you make poor choices that you later regret when you decide you need to buy something different. Also as a rule, you get what you pay for, buying the cheapest parts will give poor results.

ill post something in the nano forum or something.. what are you running for lighting, or is your light built in?

nofr1ends
05/24/2014, 01:56 AM
I have a 28 Gallon Biocube. Different layout but same system volume.

I change 1 gallon of water M/W/F. Haven't had any issues at all. I have roughly 20-30 lbs of rock in the tank, and no sand at all. The size water change takes me 10 minutes at the most. So the frequency isn't exactly a strain on my day to day schedule lol.

The amount of sand you put in is your discretion. Deep Sand Beds need to be maintained though. If you just want it for aesthetics go for a depth of around 1" give or take.

15-20 Lbs should be fine.

Can you set up a refugium in the sump? That will go a long way to promote biodiversity and nitrate filtration in a nano. Further lessening the need for a protein skimmer.

are you not running a skimmer? I guess I could setup a sump but without a skimmer. It all just comes down to money which sucks but that's life. lol.