PDA

View Full Version : Blue face angelfish swimming upside down or laying on bottom

OSTguy
05/20/2014, 09:45 PM
I have had this fish in my 240 and in my care for over 5 years, 8 total. My skimmer cup had a week or 2 worth of black and it flowed into my tank. I cleaned up the foam and cleaned the cup. 2 days later the angel was swimming like it was in the death spin. Then laying on the floor. Still alive today in the same situation. I am thinking the swim bladder. Cup overflow was Thursday. Gone on a trip Thursday evening until Sunday. My daughter filmed the fish Saturday and emailed it to me. Did a 220 gallon or so change on my system. Took all of the water out I could from DT and sump. Any other suggestions?

QT and antibiotics? If so, what type?

HumbleFish
05/20/2014, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a water quality issue that the 220 gal WC should ultimately fix. But if he isn't showing signs of improvement, I would place him in a QT with freshly mixed s/w. Just get him out of that tank altogether for now. Are any of your other fish having similar problems? Have you tested water parameters? Specifically; pH & ammonia?

OSTguy
05/21/2014, 12:15 AM
pH is 8.3, didn't check ammonia. I did put in new carbon right before the skimmer spill over. Rest of the fish seem fine. What made he suspect ammonia as well were the cloudy, slightly cloudy, eyes of my big emp angel. Flame angel, pbt, naso are fine. Clown trigger had been sluggish, but was so a bit before this. Tomorrow will tell me more. I will check the ammonia as well.

OSTguy
05/28/2014, 12:50 PM
Fish is back to normal and eating. Didn't move it or treat it. Just the big water change. I have seen in this hobby before that overreacting is worse than not reacting in most instances where you are not sure of the exact issue.