PDA

View Full Version : Introducing to tank: anemone first, clownfish first, or simultaneously?

csammis
05/21/2014, 01:02 PM
I'm planning out the stocking schedule for a 93g cube which has recently finished cycling and is starting to receive the first fish out of QT. Coming up on my stocking list I'd like to get a pair of clowns and an anemone (probably a BTA). I've never kept either before so I had a question about introduction order. Would it be most beneficial to:

Introduce the clowns first and then the anemone
Introduce the anemone first, let it find a place it likes, then the clowns
Introduce them both simultaneously having QTed in separate tanks

I'm looking to get a bonded pair of clowns (these (http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=226926) if they're still available when I'm ready to purchase) if that makes a difference.

Any ideas? As I said I'm new to keeping these varieties and I'm reading up as much as I can so whatever information you could provide would be much appreciated. Thank you!

hobbzz
05/21/2014, 01:18 PM
I would do #2. You want the anemone to be settled in case the clowns take to it immediately.

hypnoj
05/21/2014, 01:50 PM
I would do #2. You want the anemone to be settled in case the clowns take to it immediately.

I agree. Anemone first.

Toddrtrex
05/21/2014, 02:01 PM
Since your tank just finished cycling, I would either get the clowns first, wait 5-7 months, and then get the anemone. Or, wait 5-7 months, get the anemone and then add the clowns.

In this case, I would not add the anemone to a newly cycled tank.

csammis
05/21/2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I had read that adding an anemone to a recently cycled tank is a bad idea - why is that, just to help guarantee tank stability or is there something about a more mature tank environment that nems prefer?

I didn't know what a good timeframe might be...5-7 months sounds good, thanks for the numbers Toddrtex. I'm definitely trying to plan for the future here and not scramble for tomorrow. The clowns I linked are quite nice but the Divers Den giveth and the Divers Den taketh away - if not this pair, there'll be others :)

Azedenkae
05/21/2014, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I had read that adding an anemone to a recently cycled tank is a bad idea - why is that, just to help guarantee tank stability or is there something about a more mature tank environment that nems prefer?

I didn't know what a good timeframe might be...5-7 months sounds good, thanks for the numbers Toddrtex. I'm definitely trying to plan for the future here and not scramble for tomorrow. The clowns I linked are quite nice but the Divers Den giveth and the Divers Den taketh away - if not this pair, there'll be others :)

It's just to guarantee tank stability. Adding any life in after a cycle can, well, dirty the water and if your tank filtration is not 'mature' enough, then it won't be able to quickly cleanse the water. Fish don't care as much, but nems do.

BTA are quite hardy though. I personally wouldn't wait five months. :P I'd chuck in a dead prawn or something to hasten the cycle and prolly get some life in there quickly. If your tank has finished 'cycling', I don't see much difference with waiting another half a year.

SwampyBill
05/21/2014, 05:05 PM
Since your tank just finished cycling, I would either get the clowns first, wait 5-7 months, and then get the anemone. Or, wait 5-7 months, get the anemone and then add the clowns.

+1,000 on what Toddrtrex says. His knowledge of anemones is extensive & has helped me many times over the last 4 yrs.

ALH
05/21/2014, 05:06 PM
I've always wondered about the 6 month recommendation for anemones, especially for BTAs. If the tank parameters are spot on and the caregiver is experienced at marine husbandry there should be no problem.

hobbzz
05/21/2014, 06:58 PM

I agree. I missed the part about the initial cycle just ending. You really want your parameters to be stable, even with easy anemones like bta's.

Azedenkae
05/21/2014, 07:33 PM
I agree. I missed the part about the initial cycle just ending. You really want your parameters to be stable, even with easy anemones like bta's.

That is true, you'd want your parameters to be stable. But there's stable because the microbes are taking up all the waste, and stable because well, nothing is going on. My experience is that you wait for too long and all those microbes that you built up would simply starve and die.

I think it's better to keep on promoting the growth of microbes and well, macro-organisms by adding life to the tank early and keep at it, rather than just let everything go flat first.

TinManx
05/21/2014, 08:13 PM
How long you wait really depends on the method that is used to start the tank. My last gigantea (in my care for several years) was added to a week old tank. I have "cycled" many tanks with BTA residents, and most recently even with a S. gigantea. The issue is stability, and making a new tank stable takes some effort, but is possible.

In the end, if you bought fresh live rock from the store and threw it in your tank I agree with 6 months to a year for a newbie, maybe half for an experienced reefer....

neontreefrog5
05/23/2014, 01:23 PM
issues of tank readiness and stability aside, adding the anemone first is definitely what you want to do. from experience, every time ive seen a clown added after an anemone has been, it took to it immediately. in such cases, if the nem was just added, it could very likely get sick or die from the stress of being added to a new tank and the added stress of a fish rubbing itself all over it.

with that being said, let the anemone settle in and give it some time to find a place in your setup. when its been secure in one spot for a while, thats a sign its found a comfortable spot. when that happens, i believe then it is ready to handle the stress of a host fish taking to it.