PDA

View Full Version : Cuttlefish bones for calcium?

Vilas
05/22/2014, 12:20 PM
Call me crazy.
I find cuttlefish bones nearly daily on my fishing trips to the beach. I live on a pristine beach of the Indian Ocean, where corals and anemones grow on the rocks. Would putting these into my tank help buffer the calcium? Can I use them in any way? My tank will be locally collected, I'd love to be able to provide calcium from local sources as well.
Thanks!
Charlotte

ravenmore
05/22/2014, 12:44 PM
I don't know but I REALLY envy your location. :D

disc1
05/22/2014, 12:59 PM
Bones are full of calcium yes, but also phosphate. The calcium that is there isn't going to be very soluble unless you first dissolve them in strong acid. I wouldn't put bones in my tank.

Vilas
05/23/2014, 07:45 AM
Gotcha, I'll skip it. I got the idea after reading that if can levels are too low, your snails shells start to dissolve, and figured I'd rather have other sources of calcium. Didn't think about phosphates!

andrewkw
05/23/2014, 07:51 AM
You could probably use them for calcium reactor media?

anbosu
05/23/2014, 07:56 AM
Gotcha, I'll skip it. I got the idea after reading that if can levels are too low, your snails shells start to dissolve, and figured I'd rather have other sources of calcium. Didn't think about phosphates!

If you are doing water changes and you don't have a ton of corals you should be fine on the calcium front.

disc1
05/23/2014, 08:15 AM
You could probably use them for calcium reactor media?

Again, you wouldn't want to do that because those bones are full of phosphate. You want to use calcium carbonate in your calcium reactor.