PDA

View Full Version : Strange growth on my Powder Brown Tang in my QT

ojonas81
05/23/2014, 02:11 PM
The Powder Brown tang in the QT has some weird growth on the right side of his nose. Looks like a big bogey. Anyone knows what it can be? Fish looks health otherwise. Sorry for the dirty QT.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-g99zrep1vkk/U3-p-ibESTI/AAAAAAAAC44/iIiw1RQIz4c/s1024/_MG_2136.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--TXGbQz44zU/U3-qApXPA_I/AAAAAAAAC5A/NxJTkDYpWPI/s1024/_MG_2142.jpg

HumbleFish
05/23/2014, 02:28 PM
What color is it (can't be certain from the pics)?

Almost looks like a tumor, or Lymphocystis will sometimes look like that.

SDguy
05/23/2014, 05:36 PM
Does sort of look like lypho. Is it spongy to the touch? I'd consider scraping it off, and doing a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment after.

ojonas81
05/23/2014, 07:25 PM
What color is it (can't be certain from the pics)?

Almost looks like a tumor, or Lymphocystis will sometimes look like that.

The color is light transparent red/brown almost. Hard to tell.

Does sort of look like lypho. Is it spongy to the touch? I'd consider scraping it off, and doing a broad spectrum antibiotic treatment after.

I have not been able to touch it. Any tips on how to do that? Guess I should wear gloves right? Tips on scraping it off?

Will it infect the other fish in the same QT or stay with this one?

MrTuskfish
05/24/2014, 09:30 AM

I agree. Hold it firmly with a WET towel and use whatever it takes to remove it. I've used a cuticle scissors on things like this several times (successfully, most of the time). I doubt if any of us can positively ID the growth or if its dangerous or not. Likely not contagious, though. I'd dab it with Mercurochrome before returning it to the QT and dosing the antibiotic.

ojonas81
06/09/2014, 12:33 PM
Thought I would give a short update on the progress. I have been on vacation in Europe over the last two weeks. Let the QT run by itself with automatic food dosing and ATO. Kept the copper concentration at a therapeutic level all the time. When I got back two days ago the growth was completely gone and all the fish in QT looked very healthy. Planning to move them all to the main DT tonight unless there are any compelling reasons not to?