PDA

View Full Version : Giving Venustus a shot

aquaph8
05/23/2014, 03:30 PM
Got a pair of Venustus angels coming tomorrow, please share any experience you have so I might be more successful.

ca1ore
05/23/2014, 03:33 PM
Never tried them, but good luck. Pictures are the cost of advice :)

Ambition
05/23/2014, 03:38 PM
Where are you getting them from, Brett?

My advice is keeping some mature live rock in the QT tank with them. From there, I recommend trying lots of foods to see what they'll take to and working your way through getting them on to what you want. My male multibar eats brine and mysis with gusto and samples flakes, nori/Sea Veggies, and most other foods (oddly enough he won't touch clam on the shell). After they are eating, it will be imperative to feed them 5+ times a day for a couple of weeks so they can recover from capture and shipping.

aquaph8
05/23/2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks Kyle, They're coming from NYA. I was thinking the same thing about adding some rock. They have a long trip ahead of them, hopefully they do OK.

humaguy
05/23/2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks Kyle, They're coming from NYA. I was thinking the same thing about adding some rock. They have a long trip ahead of them, hopefully they do OK.

Brett- dude, don't overthink it....give lots of spir brine, lrf, and maybe some minced fresh clam...leave the lights off for a few days, then go to moons, actinics, and only light up the tank if you are in front of it...they are not overly difficult fish to keep...lemme know when you get them...they were eating brine and mysis when I saw them.

humaguy
05/23/2014, 04:20 PM

ps..I tossed up a video of the jocs in my thread...was very tempted to grab the tiny one today but didn't...

Rea17
05/23/2014, 04:28 PM
Can't wait to see pictures! Venusta are one of my favorite dwarf angels.

I think they are just one of those fish where you need to start with a healthy specimen that's been handled well. I'm waiting for the next batch to come through DD for that reason. Aside from that, just low light/minimal stress and lots of feedings, good luck!

aquaph8
05/23/2014, 07:01 PM
Ted, I'll try my best haha, I tend to over think just about everything :) they'll be here tomorrow. If they'll eat mysis for me that'll take all the stress off real fast. I didn't fare so well with the multibar pair I tried, I couldn't get them to eat a thing.

Ami, thanks for the good luck man. I love to get DD fish but venustus isn't one you see too often. I'm pretty happy when someone like Michael posts a video of them eating. The only real downside I get from NYA is the distance they are from me, shipping that far is never easy on fish.

Rea17
05/23/2014, 07:18 PM
The video linked on the site is from 2011 :( or was there a new one I didn't see? They are a good price, I'm debating on ordering one or two myself. I'm even farther away than you are though, so shipping would probably be rough.

aquaph8
05/23/2014, 07:31 PM
Your right, good call. I think he only has one more but I could be mistaken.

the808state
05/23/2014, 10:33 PM
where are their origins?

paka
05/24/2014, 02:11 AM
Hey Brett, I'm excited that you're getting venusta!
I agree with low light levels through QT. I had them in dark blue barrels with black ABS fitting to hide in. They can be flighty at first and I think having a secure feeling in a hiding place is important for them.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to photos when they settle in.

aquaph8
05/24/2014, 11:07 AM
where are their origins?

I'm not sure.

Hey Brett, I'm excited that you're getting venusta!
I agree with low light levels through QT. I had them in dark blue barrels with black ABS fitting to hide in. They can be flighty at first and I think having a secure feeling in a hiding place is important for them.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to photos when they settle in.

Thanks Karen, they should be here any time now. I'm trying to wait patiently :) thanks for the tips, they're really appreciated.

Ambition
05/24/2014, 11:59 AM
where are their origins?

It is very likely that they are from the Philippines.

Brett, I can't wait to hear when they arrive!

caribfan
05/24/2014, 12:01 PM
One of my favorite fish, i'm looking forward to pictures. Did you mention size?

sc50964
05/24/2014, 01:02 PM
One of my favorite fish, i'm looking forward to pictures. Did you mention size?

Only 2 to 3 inches. I was thinking about buying too.

aquaph8
05/24/2014, 02:13 PM
They are here along with the tiniest little yellow tail tamarin Ive ever seen. Everybody seems really healthy and is settling in nicely. Ill get some pics up in a couple days after they settle in.

The two angels are getting along fine so far and havent really left each others side. The smaller one is about 2" and the larger about 1/2" bigger. They're just kinda hanging out in the corner and picking at the floor of the QT which has a bunch of pods cause I havent had a fish in there for a few weeks. Hopefully in the next few days I can get them eating something else, I dropped a little mysis in there a few minutes ago and they didnt seem interested. Ill give them some space and let them get settled for now.

humaguy
05/24/2014, 03:54 PM
They are here along with the tiniest little yellow tail tamarin Ive ever seen. Everybody seems really healthy and is settling in nicely. Ill get some pics up in a couple days after they settle in.

The two angels are getting along fine so far and havent really left each others side. The smaller one is about 2" and the larger about 1/2" bigger. They're just kinda hanging out in the corner and picking at the floor of the QT which has a bunch of pods cause I havent had a fish in there for a few weeks. Hopefully in the next few days I can get them eating something else, I dropped a little mysis in there a few minutes ago and they didnt seem interested. Ill give them some space and let them get settled for now.

Outstanding! Lights off and feed the heck out of 'em!! Looking forward to pics..they were eating spir brine and Mysis when I saw them...

caribfan
05/24/2014, 09:56 PM
Can't wait for some pics, hope they start eating soon for you.

aquaph8
05/25/2014, 05:03 PM
Can't wait for some pics, hope they start eating soon for you.

Thanks Matt, no eating yet. They seem to be getting more comfortable and exploring more and seem interested when food goes in but I haven't seen any real bites yet. Hopefully they'll come around soon, it drives me crazy waiting for fish to eat. I closed all the blinds in the room to make it darker and they seem to like that.

aquaph8
05/26/2014, 09:46 AM
The smaller of the two doesn't look so hot this morning, he's swimming kinda sideways. The larger one is getting more bold and exploring the QT more. He still prefers to stay hidden like expected of this species, hopefully he'll eat for us today.

sc50964
05/26/2014, 11:15 AM
Hi aquaph8, how big is your QT? Maybe it's not big enough so one is stressing out the other?

Ambition
05/26/2014, 11:20 AM
Is it swimming sideways in a manner that looks like it is struggling? The Paracentropyge complex swim in various ways, almost like assessors. My multibars have swam sideways the through the PVC.

aquaph8
05/26/2014, 11:49 AM
You both could easily be right at this point or I could be worried about nothing. I'll keep a close eye on things and report back. Either way I'll do a waterchange today and hope he's OK.

sc50964
05/26/2014, 12:06 PM
Maybe you can get some eggcrates and put up a divider.

aquaph8
05/26/2014, 12:27 PM
I haven't seen any aggression at all from them but I'm prepared if I see anything.

aquaph8
05/26/2014, 02:55 PM
After watching them, the smaller one has problems for sure but I don't think it had anything to do with aggression. She went from fine to the wobble swim overnight. All I can do now is hope for the best from the other one.

Ambition
05/26/2014, 09:19 PM
Sorry to hear, Brett. Have you done any water changes yet?

wayne in norway
05/27/2014, 04:29 AM
Others might have found Paracentropyge easy, but I didn't. My multibar didn't touch floating prepared food for a full 6 months, so lots of live rock, prefereably nice and hairy would be my advice.
If you want a benchmark, regal angels are pretty easy in my book

aquaph8
05/27/2014, 06:34 AM
Sorry to hear, Brett. Have you done any water changes yet?

Yeah I went ahead and did a water change yesterday. The other two fish were scratching all over the place last night too, no fun but I'll continue to do my best with this one. On a positive note, he does seem more comfortable and is exploring the tank a lot more.

Others might have found Paracentropyge easy, but I didn't. My multibar didn't touch floating prepared food for a full 6 months, so lots of live rock, prefereably nice and hairy would be my advice.
If you want a benchmark, regal angels are pretty easy in my book

Thanks for your thoughts Wayne. I have Regal in my display and while she was easy, the one I had before her was just like the Venustus.

humaguy
05/27/2014, 11:10 AM
can you post some pics of the smaller one?

aquaph8
05/27/2014, 03:00 PM
can you post some pics of the smaller one?

Sorry, I would but he passed yesterday and I didn't save the body. He looked perfect though, no bites or anything like that. The smaller was actually the bolder of the two.

Crimson
05/27/2014, 08:20 PM
Any meds in QT?

HPark
05/27/2014, 08:32 PM
Bummer...hope the other one works out for you.

aquaph8
05/27/2014, 08:45 PM
Any meds in QT?

Not yet, Im getting real close to adding cupermine slowly after a water change tonight but I hate to. Id feel a lot better about it if he was eating even a little.

Bummer...hope the other one works out for you.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Ill give it my best shot.

Rea17
05/27/2014, 08:48 PM
Really sorry to hear about the loss.. Did you happen to FW dip the body? If the other fish are flashing and you don't see visible signs of ich I would try to rule out flukes, especially since NYA is so known for them. Good luck with the other one.

aquaph8
05/27/2014, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the tip Ami, might not have been too bad an idea. Maybe prazi would be a better first choice

jjk_reef00
05/27/2014, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear Brett, for what it is worth the venustus I had a while ago made it through 4 weeks cupramine no problem, just never ate anything at all. He died after a few months in my DT from starvation. If you think it is ich I'd go with cupramine.

albano
05/28/2014, 05:23 AM
... I would try to rule out flukes, especially since NYA is so known for them...
I don't recall seeing this before, any links to that 'discussion'

Crimson
05/28/2014, 05:27 AM
I owned two and have given up. First one made it through qt and lived in dt for 6 months then died due to a tank crash. Second one also made it though qt but less healthier imo then the first. He picked up in health after I moved him into DT but then died during the tank move in March.

Note: Both came from bluezoo.

humaguy
05/28/2014, 06:28 AM
I don't recall seeing this before, any links to that 'discussion'

I have never heard this before and have never had a problem with flukes over the roughly 10 years I have been buying fish from Michael..

Crimson
05/28/2014, 07:32 AM
Michael treats his fish with prazi from what he told me. TBH, it's always possible for any fish no matter where it comes from to have flukes (unless tank breed in self contained area with no cross contamination with other fish).

ORA fish I would consider to be pest free that is until the fish enters into gen pop aka LFS or any mixed holding area.

Rea17
05/28/2014, 07:57 AM
Not trying to start another NYA debate, but check out the disease forum. There have been several lately.

sc50964
05/28/2014, 09:25 AM
Venustus is a hard fish to begin with. Thus what's happening to OP could be completely independent from NYA. Doesn't NYA offer some sort of livestock guarantee? I seem to recall that from my one purchase (4" blueline angel) from them. It made its way from NYC to CA. I had venustus once and it loved my SPS at the time.

sc50964
05/28/2014, 09:40 AM
I just thought that there needed to be more solid proof that NYA mishandled the venustus before this gets turned into a NYA bashing thread.

Rea17
05/28/2014, 10:07 AM
I wasn't trying to make this about NYA, just suggesting the OP rule out flukes due to several reviews/posts I've read recently, and then this post of his.

The other two fish were scratching all over the place last night too, no fun but I'll continue to do my best with this one.

Let's get the thread back on topic, I'd really like to see this venustus do well. Hope he starts eating for you soon.

aquaph8
05/28/2014, 02:13 PM
Holy crap, I go into work and come back to craziness. I honestly use LADD every chance I get but but with fish like Venustus they're pretty slim pickings. Their fish and customer service is unmatched not only in this industry but from a retail standpoint in general. NYA does a good job getting in the stuff that others don't. Unfortunately the Venustus aren't covered under warranty and it knew that when I ordered them. It always sucks to deal with sickness with fish already tricky to feed but all I can do at this point is deal with it and do my best. I used to get mad at vendors and fish stores when fish died of disease but now I just remember I have a choice of who I deal with and I do keep note of good and bad situations. I'm getting better and better with meds and QT over all these years and while I do lose some I also do save some. I've been around long enough that I am drawn to the trickier species and don't expect them all to make it but I do put a lot of effort into doing what is best for them. That's really why I started this thread, to learn what might help me get this guy ready for the display one day not give feedback on vendors. There's a whole forum for that if I need it.

The Venustus continues on his hunger strike but was out this morning swimming around. I'll try to feed again when I get to the house and report back. Bear with me on the pics, he's in my QT with lights off which makes pics pretty difficult. I did add prazi last night, hopefully I can stop whatever is causing the scratching. I figured prazi would be a good place to start and would be gentler considering I haven't seen any other symptoms. Thanks for all the well wishes. I hope he hangs in there to one day nip at my SPS. Well, not too much :)

caribfan
05/28/2014, 02:18 PM
First off, sorry to hear about the lost venustus, is the surviving fish eating yet?

I feel the need to chime in here since the thread referenced before was actually my thread.

In regards to NYA being a fluke ridden establishment... Even though I lost two Venustus from there, I would not say that I believe it to be from Flukes. FWIW, I have a small regal that I got from there at the same time and I don't recal that it displayed signs of flukes nor produced flukes during a FW dip and it is currently healthy as an ox.

It is my opinion that venustus are notoriously bad shippers and overly sensitive to ammonia poisoning. I plan to order Venustus again, and when I do, I have every intention of treating the acclimation vessel with an ammonia neutralizing product such as prime and adding methylene blue to help counteract any potential ammonia burning of the gills.

Having said that, when I do order a Venustus again, it won't be from NYA. I think the fish in his store are probably fine and healthy, (though i've never been there), but based on my experience in the past, I think a fish that needs extraordinary shipping precautions are best left purchased from DD. The packaging of the few fish that I have ordered from DD surpasssed the ones purchased from NYA by leaps and bounds.

Not saying his livestock is bad or that he doesn't know how to ship fish, rather that when it comes to the ultra sensitive and finicky species, I'll spend the extra $50 bucks and get it from Kevin.

Now back to the surviving Venustus.

I would agree with the water change and I would also continue to limit the light exposure for some time.

Have you given us any details about the quarantine system? Is the biological filtration pretty strong? Is there good flow in the tank? I have seen feeding responses from increasing or decreasing flow on certain fish.

Hopefully he starts eating soon, I assume the current foods being offered include brine and finely minced mysis. You might try live black worms if they are available, I hear they work wonders.

Good Luck!

aquaph8
05/28/2014, 02:52 PM
My QT is a 20 long. Just PVC pipes and an Aqua clear 70 with a very seeded sponge. I'd say it's pretty strong, it handled my Copperband, foxface and Regal all together. It has a small powerhead but I don't normally use it for anything other than small anthias so I can keep tiny foods suspended. The AC 70 gives the tank quite a bit of flow. I also have an air driven sponge filter in the opposite corner and do small waterchanges often.

I've tried feeding spirulina brine, hikari mysis, some angel mix, clams and assortment of pellets. Every time I think he's gonna take a bite it's like he gets grossed out and has to go scratch against something. Hopefully the prazi I added last night will help with that.

caribfan
05/28/2014, 04:39 PM
aquaph8, maybe try some fresh grated shrimp. That has been a winner for me in the past when other things have failed.

Sounds like the QT is solid, just like to make sure the bases are covered. I should have figured with 5000+ posts that was a given though.

If there is a lot of scratching, perhaps consider a FW dip. It would only take a few minutes to determine if the fish has flukes. I think I'd be inclined to try that.

Crimson
05/28/2014, 04:51 PM
I would cut all meds, do a water change and get him eating first. Prazi been known to be an appetite inhibitor.

o2manyfish
05/28/2014, 08:43 PM
My experience with multi-bar and venustus was that they wanted to hunt to survive before ever considering prepared foods. My Venustus went a couple of months before taking prepared foods.

My pair of multi-bar went 5+ months hunting off the rockwork before they would take any kinds of prepared foods.

Both fish are very shy, so they need lots of hiding places to feel comfortable.

They will definitely swim inverted, sideways, backwards - when healthy and feeding well.

If you can make it over the initial hump of them adjusting to captivity they are very rewarding. My experience is that you need a ton of mature liverock covered in pods, algae and sponge to get them started eating in a captive environment.

Dave B

Ambition
05/28/2014, 10:57 PM
I wish I knew what Kevin Kohen and his team do to get these fish eating well so fast. I've decided to take Kevin up on his offer for the juvie replacement multibar, and she's only been in captivity for three weeks when he told me about her last week. She eats like a pig, and will have been in captivity for 5 weeks when I get her next week. I would say keep throwing foods into the tank until the fish at least shows interest in something. The whole time, being sure that plenty of established LR is present for grazing if need be.

HPark
05/29/2014, 12:06 AM
Is hatching brine shrimp an option to get finicky angels to eat? Just curious for future reference.

caribfan
05/29/2014, 05:19 AM
I actually tried that with the two Venustus I tried last year. I built the little brine shrimp feeder that Paul B has provided for us. They didn't seem interested, but I think long term, its probably a great idea.

I offered just about everything with the exception of live black worms when I tried these fish last year.

I think it comes down to ensuring these fish are comfortable and not stressed once they are through acclimation.

sc50964
05/29/2014, 08:59 AM
When all things fail, give it live corals as the last measure.

Squared
05/29/2014, 09:06 AM
+1 to cutting the meds, I treated my venustus with prazi, and would not eat anything for the first few days. After he only took to nibbling nutramar ova. I would try some if that, good picky eater food.

albano
05/29/2014, 09:12 AM
When all things fail, give it live corals as the last measure.

You've done this?

sc50964
05/29/2014, 09:18 AM
You've done this?

Yes, I gave a browned out piece of SPS to the only venustus that I've had. It loved it.

skiprr
05/29/2014, 12:13 PM
I have had my trio of Venustus angels for close to a year now. Now having said this I have had them in the past (Another Trio at one point) and have lost them for one reason or another. All three eat anything I place in the tank and seem to get along. I also have a multibar angel for almost a year as well and has been doing really well. Also eating everything I feed the tank. Once you get them eating, they are just as hardy in my opinion as any other angel out there...

caribfan
05/29/2014, 02:22 PM
I have had my trio of Venustus angels for close to a year now. Now having said this I have had them in the past (Another Trio at one point) and have lost them for one reason or another. All three eat anything I place in the tank and seem to get along. I also have a multibar angel for almost a year as well and has been doing really well. Also eating everything I feed the tank. Once you get them eating, they are just as hardy in my opinion as any other angel out there...

So what did you do to get them to eat...

skiprr
05/29/2014, 03:10 PM
I was fortunate. I bought all three at the same time and they were all between 2 - 2.5 inches big. After a couple of days in the quarantine tank they all started eating enriched brine shrimp and then mysis. After that they started eating flakes then pellets..

aquaph8
05/29/2014, 06:51 PM
Appreciate everyone's tips.

Update: he seems even more and more comfortable everyday. He's actually picking at the rocks now and even tried a little brine though I think most got spit back out. I'm just happy he's swimming up to the food and checking out, that's a good start. The way I see it I can find something he likes if he won't try anything.

As far as the meds go, his scratching and head shaking was enough for me to feel it was more important than food at this time. I agree and hate to medicate a fish that's not eating but I honestly don't feel he was comfortable enough to eat at that state anyways. He does seem better now but I'm not sure if he's 100% yet.

Crimson
05/29/2014, 09:08 PM
Been there before.. you have to make the call since you're making the observations. Sometimes it's a catch 22. On one hand if the fish is being attacked so much he won't eat because of the ailment or if the meds hinder his appetite so much he doesn't feel like eating. Either way sometime you just feel like a passenger.

Sounds like he's doing better! Hope he does good. Mine would eat this:

http://www.oceannutrition.com/?post=pygmy-angel-formula

aquaph8
05/29/2014, 09:12 PM
Yeah I'm still not positive the prazi is helping, I really don't want to treat with anything else at this point though.

Awesome I have some of that stuff from a group buy coming, I just gotta go pick it up.

rompininphx
05/31/2014, 02:09 PM
I ordered a Venustus as well from NYaquatics. I got mine in on 5/28, and haven't noticed any scratching or twitching and he's been eating and looks very healthy. I also got a small yellow tail tamarin.

Heres a video of mine:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="225" data="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-US&photo_secret=0000000001&photo_id=14334951673"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-US&photo_secret=0000000001&photo_id=14334951673" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

sc50964
05/31/2014, 04:43 PM
I ordered a Venustus as well from NYaquatics. I got mine in on 5/28, and haven't noticed any scratching or twitching and he's been eating and looks very healthy. I also got a small yellow tail tamarin.

Heres a video of mine:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="225" data="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-US&photo_secret=0000000001&photo_id=14334951673"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-US&photo_secret=0000000001&photo_id=14334951673" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

Video didn't come thru.

rompininphx
05/31/2014, 05:00 PM
Heres a link to it:

https://flic.kr/p/nQJnHc

aquaph8
05/31/2014, 09:27 PM
Nice Rompin! I havent seen any scratching today, so maybe the prazi is taking care of the scratching. I noticed he picks pods out of the same little patch of hair algae on top of a powerhead so I stuffed a pinch of small NLS pellets in the algae and he seems to be picking them out. He is trying some frozen but spitting it out still. I have pretty good feelings about him but only time will tell.

ReefingWerewolf
05/31/2014, 09:32 PM
Venustus my favorite Dwarf Angel. Just so pretty!

aquaph8
05/31/2014, 09:38 PM
Venustus my favorite Dwarf Angel. Just so pretty!

I agree, Ive always wanted one and these are the first Ive actually seen in person

rompininphx
05/31/2014, 11:45 PM
Thanks! Good luck with yours, I can't wait to get mine in the DT

aquaph8
05/31/2014, 11:56 PM
You too bud, appreciate it

breederforlife
06/04/2014, 04:10 AM
Awesome fish these venustus

But look at what i came accross at my LFS a week ago!!!!!

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/chassaingalex/DSC_0080_zpsb560c210.jpg (http://s826.photobucket.com/user/chassaingalex/media/DSC_0080_zpsb560c210.jpg.html)

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/chassaingalex/DSC_0075_zps0831a6c3.jpg (http://s826.photobucket.com/user/chassaingalex/media/DSC_0075_zps0831a6c3.jpg.html)

They eat everything you give them, pellet, frozen...
They also got adults but they haven't touched food for two weeks now.

Squared
06/04/2014, 09:08 AM
Wow that's cute!

What LFS us that?

breederforlife
06/04/2014, 06:31 PM
Sorry but thats not in the US. I live in Taiwan

aquaph8
06/04/2014, 07:04 PM
Thank for sharing the pics, they look great. My little guy is doing pretty well. He has a bit of lympho but nothing too bad. He's still not eating frozen really well but loves fauna marin pellets now. Hopefully the taste for frozen foods will come in time.

aquaph8
06/09/2014, 05:39 PM
Little guy is doing great, eating fauna marin pellets like a champ! I turned the light on for the first time today and he's not bothered by the bright lights at all.

sc50964
06/09/2014, 06:16 PM
Little guy is doing great, eating fauna marin pellets like a champ! I turned the light on for the first time today and he's not bothered by the bright lights at all.

Pic Pls

aquaph8
06/09/2014, 08:52 PM
Best I can do for now

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu128/Aquaph8/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9275a329.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/Aquaph8/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps9275a329.jpg.html)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu128/Aquaph8/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb66dbd74.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/Aquaph8/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsb66dbd74.jpg.html)

Rea17
06/09/2014, 09:09 PM
Gorgeous, thanks for the pictures!

aquaph8
06/09/2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks Ami, I had my heart set on a pair but I'm really happy at least one is doing well. Takes a lot of stress off seeing him eat pellets well.

caribfan
06/09/2014, 09:57 PM
So happy for you, great looking fish! I'm anxious to try my hand at these again.

HPark
06/10/2014, 12:21 AM
Great job! Happy the one worked out for you. Really thinking about trying a pair myself. So, smaller the better with these fish, correct, like 2-3" range? Also, I generally TT but I assume I would want to put that off until after they've been established in QT, if at all?

jjk_reef00
06/10/2014, 06:56 PM
Amazing Brett, glad you got him to eat for you.

aquaph8
06/10/2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys, I'm hoping I can get him to eat some frozen soon. I'm still worried about feeding him with my DT group, he likes to eat pellets off the floor and pellets don't make it to the floor in the display.

aquaph8
07/10/2014, 08:48 PM
Second shot at a pair coming soon...... The single one continues to do great.

hogfanreefer
07/11/2014, 09:04 AM
Second shot at a pair coming soon...... The single one continues to do great.

Can't wait to see them! I'm really jealous. Are these going in a reef tank? What corals are at risk with Venustus?

aquaph8
07/11/2014, 11:18 AM
Yes they are, all SPS. I'd imagine they're at risk somewhat as with all angels but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Ambition
07/11/2014, 12:24 PM
When you say another shot at a pair, do you mean you are getting a single one for the guy you have or another pair coming? Are they going to come from NYA again, or somewhere else?

Glad that the one you have now is doing well for you! My multibars won't graze from the bottom or decorations in QT, only eatin from the surface and water column.

o2manyfish
07/11/2014, 12:38 PM
I picked up a pair of Mature Venustus about 3 weeks ago. I was so excited they spend the first 4 days in the Display tank staying within a foot of each other and out in the back right corner of the tank in full visibility. During those 4-5 days they were both non-chalantly picking at food in the area they were in. One of them was interested in frozen brine, and inspected other foods but both were more interested in picking on the rock.

After about 4-5 days of hanging out in one area of the tank, they went exploring and dissappeared into the left side of the tank.

My aquascaping on the left side of the tank is about a 5' long rock pile. But I built the rock pile on top of Fiberglass grating. So without rock the left side looks like it has a perforated fiberglass steps. So the rock on the left side of the tank is just 1 layer deep, although it sits as high as 18" from the bottom of the tank. So under the rock is the equivalent of about an open 140g space.

I have lots of fish that find that area under the rocks and make it their home and only come out for occassional feeding.

The pair of Venustus ventured to the left side and into the rock they went. For the past couple of weeks I have occassionally seen them venturing along the rock wall, which is the back wall of the thank. But with lights on I barely get a glance at them.

The other night I was so excited one was coming out of the rock work when I was feeding, but couldn't catch a glimpse of the second one.

Last night the Venustus came out to feed again when I put some Arctipods in the tank. To my delight the Venustus on the first night had a big chunk missing out of it's tail. And last nights fish had a full tail.

So I am confident that my 2 Venustus are feeding and doing well at this point. My local fish store just got a Juvenile 1.5" Venustus in on Weds. If it isn't bought and does well I will try adding it in 2 weeks.

Dave B

aquaph8
07/11/2014, 06:46 PM
Kyle, just one more to add to the one I already have. Yes, it's coming from NYA. The one I have now is slowly starting to eat frozen but loves fauna marin pellets.

Dave, glad they're doing well for you, I'm really nervous about adding mine in with my regal! hopefully it goes smoothly. I almost ordered two instead of one, a trio would be pretty amazing to see. Post some pics here if you get them.

o2manyfish
07/11/2014, 08:37 PM
Brett,

Here are some photos from the first couple of days when they were hanging out in open view.

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/June/Venustus/Venustus_3.jpg

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/June/Venustus/Venustus_4.jpg

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/June/Venustus/Venustus_5.jpg

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/June/Venustus/Venustus_6.jpg

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/June/Venustus/Venustus_7.jpg

Dave B

aquaph8
07/11/2014, 10:22 PM
Love it Dave! great pics! Venustus gotta be one of the prettiest fish.

aquaph8
07/12/2014, 01:53 PM
new guy came in and is a little bigger than the other, seems pretty healthy except for a little pop eye. I havent dealt with too much pop eye all these years, any advice on whether I should leave it be or treat it would be appreciated.

o2manyfish
07/13/2014, 01:40 AM
Clean water will usually clear popeye pretty quickly and easily. I'm also pro Ozone, which will help clean the water even more.

Get the fish comfortable, eating in good clean water and the popeye should cure itself pretty quickly.

Dave B

aquaph8
07/13/2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks Dave but I'm afraid he's not gonna make it.

o2manyfish
07/14/2014, 03:06 PM
Brett,

Sorry to hear about this. This is not an easy fish to keep. My opinion is this fish really needs to be able to hide and hunt to be comfortable. So from the time it's collected, held, shipped, tanked at the wholesaler, sold, bagged, shipped to fish store, tanked, chosen, bagged, and finally brought home - These fish are just entirely unhappy. They live deep and like the darkness and shelter of caves.

So everything that happens from the time they are caught is just opposite of what they prefer, and they aren't adapting quickly or easily. I think these along with Multi-bar and Colini really need to get into a tank that provides natural hunting and feeding and darkness as soon as possible.

Losing a fish like this after it's in your care for only a couple of days should not be taken as a failure on your end.

Fortunately I hear they have been available in pretty good quantities for the past month or so, so perhaps another opportunity awaits you.

On a different note, while feeding my tank on Sunday evening both Venustus popped out at the same time to check out some Formula Pellets. A little pecking but no voracious eating. But both fish looked good and are eating. Neither is skinny, but neither is overly round.

It's amazing that in a 8' long tank with almost 20"+ of rock height that both Venustus appear to be living in the far left corner of the tank. The rock openings that they appear of out are on 2 sides of large (16"+) rock. And they share the openings with a juvenile multicolor angel. So when I am watching the tank I see a yellow face appear out of the darkness and don't know who it is :)

I hope you can find a healthy replacement quickly, so we can get this thread moving in a positive direction again!

Dave B

aquaph8
07/14/2014, 04:50 PM
Thanks Dave, he was don't for on day one. I will try again but I'm just gonna focus on the one I still have for now and worry about his buddies later. I will continue this thread when I do for sure though.

Glad yours are doing well, keep the pics coming as they get more comfortable.

Ambition
07/14/2014, 10:51 PM
Sorry the new one isn't going as planned for you, Brett. I understand your frustration as I'm only 2 for 5 with the multibars. IME, after the 6 week mark, you are pretty safe as far as the fish making it longer term with you. That is with a bare QT with one piece of LR and some PVC.

aquaph8
07/15/2014, 05:24 AM
Thanks Kyle, I don't want to turn this thread back into a bashing thread but the fish was said to be eating and healthy and came to me with that pinched in head look like it hadn't eaten in weeks. I don't think I ever had a chance. I'm gonna find a new place.

jnc914
07/15/2014, 07:38 AM
Thanks Kyle, I don't want to turn this thread back into a bashing thread but the fish was said to be eating and healthy and came to me with that pinched in head look like it hadn't eaten in weeks. I don't think I ever had a chance. I'm gonna find a new place.

:debi:

NYA....enough said.

Sorry for the loss of the Venustus. I have only tried this fish on 2 occasions and both only lasted 6-9 months and slowly wasted away and disappeared in the display. Neither fish would eat from the water column, but would pick at pellets from the bottom of the tank and live rock. It is unfortunate that there is not more vendors that offer them on a consistent basis. I always thought it was a collection issue, however I was told by a wholesaler that they are commonly collected; however, a majority are shipped from the Philippines.
I know this fish is difficult in general, but getting one that is at least moderately healthy to begin with, at least gives you some sort of a chance.
BTW, the one you have now looks great, continued luck with it.

aquaph8
07/15/2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks man, you pretty much described the one I have now. He eats pellets really well but not much out of the water column.

Squared
07/15/2014, 01:59 PM
i've never bought from them, but bluezoo usually has some venustus in stock (like now). expensive though, but at least you get free shipping.

ca1ore
07/15/2014, 02:36 PM
I've been itching to give one of these a shot but may main display is both too crowded and too aggressive. I'm noodling over setting up a 90 gal for some of my Leopard Wrasses that are not doing all that well in the main display, so maybe a Venustus is in my future after all. Spectacular fish!

aquaph8
07/15/2014, 06:38 PM
Well, I hoped for a replacement but I don't think it's gonna happen. He's still trying to figure out how it's my fault it died. I'm moving on though, there's better places to buy fish.

My plan is to tend to everything in QT at the moment and work on getting them to the DT. I'm not gonna risk these guys any further, hopefully they will all do well. Later this year I'll try a couple more from a good vendor and hopefully make a trio assuming the one I have does well.

aandfsoccr04
07/15/2014, 10:04 PM
Brett,

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/June/Venustus/Venustus_7.jpg

Dave B

What's that orange dwarf angel top right? flameback angelfish?

Ambition
07/15/2014, 10:51 PM
What's that orange dwarf angel top right? flameback angelfish?

Yep. There are actually two flamebacks in that picture. The one you are speaking of and the middle left portion of the picture.

That's a bummer, Brett. Sorry you have to go through that when it was out of your control.

aquaph8
07/15/2014, 10:56 PM
He offered to replace it on my next order but there won't be one :)

sandwi54
07/15/2014, 11:15 PM
After losing ALL four fish from NYA, two of which were said to be eating healthy and fat but came in with pinched-in head and stomach, I would never order from them again.

aquaph8
07/15/2014, 11:18 PM
It was 3 and I still have one

jnc914
07/16/2014, 09:37 AM
I learned the hard way not to use NYA, despite certain RC members constantly promoting them. A good lesson that was learned in dealing with them is you should always take time and date stamped photos of new arrivals. After a particularly heated back and forth of e-mails, where I pointed out I was continually being sent sick and visibly parasite infested fish; I offered to send him pics of all the "healthy" fish he sent me, right from me removing them from the box after arrival, and then removing the fish from their the bags, etc. That seemed to end Mr. Stern's accusations that I was "killing off healthy fish" and didn't know how to properly handle and QT his fish. He even offered to give me money back on whichever fish died first. I wound up completely walking away from the store credit and money back I was offered. It just wasn't worth the headache. It is a shame because NYA does get in rare fish at decent prices.

Good luck with your search for more Venustus, I know that Diver's Den may have some coming up shortly. Keep us posted.

Rea17
07/16/2014, 09:55 AM
It was 3 and I still have one

I think he meant that was his experience.

Sorry to hear about venustus. The pictures of the first one look great! Hope he starts eating from the water column more for you.

c.declivisowner
07/16/2014, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Venustus. I'd highly recommend if you do try again to get one through LA DD. I got mine from there over 2 years ago and my Venustus is still doing great to this day. It will cost more but I think its worth it for such a delicate Angel.

Ambition
07/16/2014, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Venustus. I'd highly recommend if you do try again to get one through LA DD. I got mine from there over 2 years ago and my Venustus is still doing great to this day. It will cost more but I think its worth it for such a delicate Angel.

Kevin is currently working with a pair, and so far they are eating really well for him. I think they will be listed in the next couple of weeks if all stays well.

Rea17
07/16/2014, 02:28 PM
Kevin is currently working with a pair, and so far they are eating really well for him. I think they will be listed in the next couple of weeks if all stays well.

Good to know! I've been holding out for a pair.

aquaph8
07/16/2014, 04:48 PM
Sorry Sandwi, completely misread your post:)

Jnc , pretty much had the exact same experience, his loss though.

I completely agree with you guys on the LADD thing, I'm just not fast enough, haha. I'd buy all my fish from them if I could, better to pay a little more for fish that live, right?

o2manyfish
07/17/2014, 12:21 AM
Brett,

I didn't want to post the other day when you lost your little one. But the day you lost yours, one of mine came out during feeding and aggressively went after some pellets. I came home from work on Tuesday afternoon and fed some flake, and once again the Venustus with the bite in it's tail is coming out to eat flake food.

Last night I had a late night at work and didn't get home till about midnight. I'm walking past the tank and I watch my pair of flamebacks spawn and then my Anthias have a feeding frency with the cloud they produced.

I came down around 2am and the LED's were dimmed down finishing the lighting cycle and there on the back wall of the tank were both Venustus and all 3 Multibar hunting the wall in the dim light. The back wall of my tank is covered in slab rock, and the rock work on the right side of the tank is out in the middle of the tank like an island. So there is about a 4.5' expanse of rock along the back wall of the tank.

Tonight I throw in the some flake when I get home, and both Venustus come out and eat the flake food. I am so relieved. I know they have been surviving by hunting the tank, but to see them both come out and take flake food means they are comfortable and at ease.

If I come across another small juvenile, I might be tempted to add it to the mix. But for the moment I am very happy to see my two come out to eat.

I hope you resolve your issue with your last one and you have a healthier one joining your collection soon.

Dave B

aquaph8
07/17/2014, 05:00 PM
That's great news Dave, I've decided not to risk exposing the one I have to anything else and get him into the display before trying anymore. I talked to Scott from Unique about getting a couple later, such a great guy with an awesome philosophy on business. I really hope he continues to grow his fish side of the company.

o2manyfish
07/17/2014, 07:42 PM
Brett,

Scott's working hard to do things a little bit different.

I came home a little early this afternoon. My lights don't start getting bright till 5pm because I am on a rate of use electrical plan. I have my in tank circulation pumps turn off while the lights ramp up. During that period today both Venustus were out and about all over the tank. And they spent some time hanging out together. With the afternoon sun coming in through all the windows getting some decent shots was tough....

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/July/Venusutus Out 1 - July 17, 2014.jpg

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/July/Venusutus Out 2 - July 17, 2014.jpg

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/July/Venusutus Out 3 - July 17, 2014.jpg

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/July/Venusutus Out 4 - July 17, 2014.jpg

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/July/Venusutus Out 5 - July 17, 2014.jpg

sc50964
07/17/2014, 08:06 PM
Wow o2many fish, your tank is amazing. Does any of your angels nip corals?

ca1ore
[http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/June/Venustus/Venustus_7.jpg

What, you couldn't clean the glass :lol:?

Absolutely stunning photo - best I've seen in along time. Would love to get my hands on a Venustus.

aquaph8
Great tank Dave, do I see a Marjorie wrasse in there? I'm sure the size plays a role here but any tips to adding new dwarfs to your tank? Any chance of a fish list?

o2manyfish
07/17/2014, 09:33 PM
sc50964, I have a Golden Angel for about 5 years, who comes out of hiding on a very rare occassion and picks at an SPS here or there, but never does any damage.

Brett, Not a Majorie but a pair of Naoko wrasses and a pair of Lubbocks.

Partial Fish list... Hard to keep track of them when you can't see them all the time :)

Tangs 13
8 Yellow
1 Purple
1 Chevron
2 Blue
1 Achilles

Angels 13
1 Flame
1 Regal
1 Golden
2 Flame back
1 Multi color
1 Goldflake
3 Multibar
1 Bellus
2 Venustus

Goby 11
1 pink Spot Watchman
2 Mandarin
4 Mexican Red Cap
1 Pink stripe shrimp
2 Fireifsh
1 Hi Fin

Blenny 7
3 Tailspot
1 Barnacle
2 Lawnmower
1 Bicolor
2 Red Scooter

Pseudo Chromis 15
1 Flaviritex
3 Springeri
2 Indigo
1 Strawberry
1 Bicolor
1 Skunk
1 Royal Gramma
1 Sankeye
4 Yellow Assesors

2 Dragon Faced Pipe
1 Jans Pipe
2 Blue Line Pipefish

6 Dispar Anthias

8 Bangai Cardinal

Wrasse 5
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
2 Lubbock Wrasse
2 Naoko Wrasse

Damsels 24
1 Blue Damsel
6 Kupang Damsel
6 Springeri
2 Stegassi
6 Sky Blue
2 Traceys Damsel
1 Starki

Clowns 8
3 Percula
2 Midnight
2 Black Perc
1 Black Ice

aquaph8
07/17/2014, 10:19 PM
Ah, it's your female Lubbocks. That's quite a list man, you make me want to have a bigger tank. I'm getting close to having to cut myself off in my current tank.

sc50964
07/17/2014, 11:20 PM
O2manyfish, that's a big list for a 400 gallon, and an impressive list of angels. Is the trick to keep them from feasting on corals simply keeping them well fed?

HPark
07/17/2014, 11:33 PM
o2manyfish:

Beautiful tank!

o2manyfish
07/18/2014, 12:23 AM
Sc50964, I think it's important to have a well balanced reef. For decades I kept angels in my reef with little damage, and I didn't feed my reef tank. I kept angels, mandarins and tangs for years while only feeding live brine shrimp a couple of times a year.

I have always had heavily rocked tanks which produce lots of food to support a well stocked reef. It's only in the past few years that I started wanting to keep a heavily populated tank, and started adding additional feedings. And when I decided to try keeping Anthias I added an auto feeder. So now the tank is fed 5 times a day plus whatever I decide to add.

Occassionally I will lose a patch of zoas to a goldflake angel, or I will lose a cluster of acans or blastos to one of the pygmy. But for my corals, the most destructive has been keeping those cute little clown gobies when they decide to pair up and tear all the tissue out of the center of an acro.

HPark, Thank you !

evolved
07/18/2014, 10:04 AM
Ah, it's your female Lubbocks.
Male of another region, rather. :)

That's all I contribute to this angel discussion.

Impressive/stunning tank!

Back to wrasseland. :p

aquaph8
07/18/2014, 11:19 AM
Male of another region, rather. :)

That's all I contribute to this angel discussion.

Impressive/stunning tank!

Back to wrasseland. :p

I think we talked about that once before, bad memory.
We know you can't help but like the angels.

SteelMastiff
07/21/2014, 09:34 AM
Picked up this little guy a couple of weeks ago, it has been eating mysis and brine pretty well for a week now. Moved all 3 of them from a 40g qt into a 20 for tank transfer. Its a curious little fellow, always checking me out whenever I enter the room, seems pretty spunky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vG1nFdoEE0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sc50964
07/21/2014, 09:38 AM
Picked up this little guy a couple of weeks ago, it has been eating mysis and brine pretty well for a week now. Moved all 3 of them from a 40g qt into a 20 for tank transfer. Its a curious little fellow, always checking me out whenever I enter the room, seems pretty spunky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vG1nFdoEE0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

From NYA?

SteelMastiff
07/21/2014, 10:42 AM
From NYA?

Nope, picked all 3 up at a LFS in Michigan 3 hrs from my house; drove down 4th of July weekend and picked them up. I was hoping for a pair, but he only had one available. Hoping it continues to eat well for me, the first week was nerve racking to say the least, but I'm hoping its over the hump at this point.

Its been through 3 tank transfers already, and will eat almost immediately after being transfered.

aquaph8
07/21/2014, 02:06 PM
My remaining one now has what I assume is ich and is in hypo, hopefully I diagnosed it right. I guess we'll know soon enough.

aquaph8
07/26/2014, 05:46 PM
All 3 fish in QT are doing well now after being in hypo a week. What a relief too cause they were pretty bad looking when I started lowering salinity. Everybody is eating well and LRF seems to be a big hit. The little venustus is even looking kinda chubby which is awesome considering he doesn't have any live rock to graze on.

aquaph8
09/21/2014, 03:25 PM
After all most 4 months in QT the fat little venustus has made his way to the display! Disease free and eating really well I finally felt comfortable making the transfer. He was added to the acclimation box for a couple days then released. To my amazement the regal showed no interest and my lavender immediately hated him. Luckily the little angel is a lot faster and smarter and has no fear of the tang. Just wanted to update, things seem great so far. The Attenuatus and Eightline flashers are now in the box ready to go as well. I'm worried about the Marjorie but I think ill trap him and give him a time out upon introduction. Next up in QT is a Chelmon muelleri, my absolute favorite fish :)

caribfan
09/21/2014, 06:07 PM
So glad to hear it. Do you have pictures of your tank anywhere? Muelleri is a big favorite of mine too, I think i'll be adding one before i'm done.

aquaph8
09/21/2014, 06:28 PM
My build is here http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2025229, an update is needed bad though.

pktech
09/21/2014, 06:58 PM
Got a pair of Venustus angels coming tomorrow, please share any experience you have so I might be more successful.

I got one from divers den & I have to say it was awesome - a perfect specimen - acclimated, psychologically adjusted, & confident. Ate immediately an overall good girl. I want a pair. If anyone owns /Ed one, did you know it's origin?

aquaph8
09/21/2014, 07:19 PM
I would have loved to start with a DD specimen but they go really fast. Mine came from NYA, no idea on the location.

ca1ore
09/21/2014, 07:43 PM
I bought a decent sized Venustus from my LFS. It has been in QT for about three weeks (maybe four), eats Mysis with enthusiasm, and has seemingly shaken off a slight case of lympho. Still very twitchy though, so I'm imagining the better part of 3-4 months as well.

pktech
09/21/2014, 07:43 PM
I was refreshing my screen a lot, lol. I had a proud...

o2manyfish
10/16/2014, 11:26 PM
Checking in on everyone elses Venustus. My pair are doing well. One is usually out and about the other is shy. They both look good and have nice fat bellys. One of them will hang out when the Nori is on the clip. The other shows no interest.

My 2 are very independent fish. Sometimes they hang out in the same area. But no following of each other. And no chasing of each other.

3 weeks ago a friend showed up with a surprise, a tiny little 1.75" Venustus. It was in a triple bag, so I really couldn't see the fish. I knew the source of the fish, and have bought fish from the vendor plenty of times. I would normally put a small angel like this in an acclimation box to watch and feed and see how the bigger angels react.

Unfortunately going through some family drama for the past month and I didn't have time to do things correctly. So i drip acclimated the fish and put him into the display tank.

I watched for 1/2 an hour and the fish was out and about and fearless. Nobody paid any attention to him. And at one point the 3 venustus were out in front of the tank checking each other out - Lots of slow patient circling of the 3 fish, but no nipping or chasing.

The next day the tiny Venustus was gone...

I looked for the next 3 days and did not spot him. You've seen photos of my tank - it's packed with rock and corals and for a 1.5" fish to hide and not be seen is easy.

When the weekend came I got out the ladder to get some corals that had fallen, and when I got ontop of the ladder, sitting in a rock alcove on the back wall of the tank behind the rock structure they little angel was cruising in and out of a little cave.

I was excited. I put some food back there but he darted away from it.

Two days later he was gone from that spot.

For the past 2 weeks I looked all over and didn't spot him. I added all kinds of fish and nothing. Last Friday night I added a bag of live brine and no sign.

Tuesday evening I was sitting in front of the tank and HOT DAMN the little guy comes out of the rock work in front of me, does a quick spin and then shoots back into the rock work.

Tonight when I came home from work, the little one was out on the end of the tank going back and forth for several minutes. He looks good. His body is thin to the edges, but the center of his body where the organs are, and the stomach area are both filled out and very round. He was out for a few minutes. and then vanished.

A few minutes later the shy larger Venustus came out to pick at some food, and just as casually as the adult came out to hunt the little one came out of the same rock, and slowly followed the exact same path through the rocks looking for food at the same spots.

And then he vanished for the rest of the evening.

So I feel confident saying now that it has been a month, that I have a Trio of Venustus that seem to be doing nicely together.

Tony Vargas posted photos of some Colini angels this past week. Thats what I would like to get next to add to my collection.

Hope everyone else is having good luck with theirs.

Dave B

caribfan
10/17/2014, 09:42 AM
My three are rocking and rolling. the two bigger ones seem to stay closer together, but there is little to no aggression between any of them.

Unfortunatley, I haven't' seen anything in the way of courting/circling or the like. They tend to stay out with the rest of my fish, which is really cool because I had always hear than they generally hide a lot.

o2manyfish
10/17/2014, 11:26 AM
It's Interesting about the shyness of this fish. Going back 15+ years ago I had 2 venustus, 1 in my reef and 1 in my Fish only. And both were very shy fish. Not as hidden as my Golden Angels, or Marine Betta, but seldom seem. In the current 400g I had tried one about 8 years back that was a hidden fish.

The one I had last year before my crash was invisible for a couple of months and then out and about all the time.

Now with the two adults its a treat to see both of them out. But one is usually within sight.

I'm starting to form an opinion that a larger fish population can have a real change in typical characteristics of fish when kept in smaller populations.

Now the challenge for both of us is to get a photo of all 3 out angels out and about together :) ---- Now thats a good challenge to have in this hobby !

Dave B

humaguy
10/17/2014, 12:12 PM
Checking in on everyone elses Venustus. My pair are doing well. One is usually out and about the other is shy. They both look good and have nice fat bellys. One of them will hang out when the Nori is on the clip. The other shows no interest.

My 2 are very independent fish. Sometimes they hang out in the same area. But no following of each other. And no chasing of each other.

3 weeks ago a friend showed up with a surprise, a tiny little 1.75" Venustus. It was in a triple bag, so I really couldn't see the fish. I knew the source of the fish, and have bought fish from the vendor plenty of times. I would normally put a small angel like this in an acclimation box to watch and feed and see how the bigger angels react.

Unfortunately going through some family drama for the past month and I didn't have time to do things correctly. So i drip acclimated the fish and put him into the display tank.

I watched for 1/2 an hour and the fish was out and about and fearless. Nobody paid any attention to him. And at one point the 3 venustus were out in front of the tank checking each other out - Lots of slow patient circling of the 3 fish, but no nipping or chasing.

The next day the tiny Venustus was gone...

I looked for the next 3 days and did not spot him. You've seen photos of my tank - it's packed with rock and corals and for a 1.5" fish to hide and not be seen is easy.

When the weekend came I got out the ladder to get some corals that had fallen, and when I got ontop of the ladder, sitting in a rock alcove on the back wall of the tank behind the rock structure they little angel was cruising in and out of a little cave.

I was excited. I put some food back there but he darted away from it.

Two days later he was gone from that spot.

For the past 2 weeks I looked all over and didn't spot him. I added all kinds of fish and nothing. Last Friday night I added a bag of live brine and no sign.

Tuesday evening I was sitting in front of the tank and HOT DAMN the little guy comes out of the rock work in front of me, does a quick spin and then shoots back into the rock work.

Tonight when I came home from work, the little one was out on the end of the tank going back and forth for several minutes. He looks good. His body is thin to the edges, but the center of his body where the organs are, and the stomach area are both filled out and very round. He was out for a few minutes. and then vanished.

A few minutes later the shy larger Venustus came out to pick at some food, and just as casually as the adult came out to hunt the little one came out of the same rock, and slowly followed the exact same path through the rocks looking for food at the same spots.

And then he vanished for the rest of the evening.

So I feel confident saying now that it has been a month, that I have a Trio of Venustus that seem to be doing nicely together.

Tony Vargas posted photos of some Colini angels this past week. Thats what I would like to get next to add to my collection.

Hope everyone else is having good luck with theirs.

Dave B

Love when this happens and the lil ones really do know where to seek peace...
Mine are all doing well too!

aquaph8
10/17/2014, 07:38 PM
Mines doing awesome, very hardy fish and fit in great with the whole group after a day of running from the tangs. Never did get a pair like I hoped but I'm happy with the single.

cFloor
10/17/2014, 08:46 PM
I've had two in quarantine for a few weeks now. One is doing great and eats anything I put in the tank. Unfortunately the other doesn't seem to eat much. There is no aggression between the two and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they both make it. They're such beautiful fish and l love seeing them together.

o2manyfish
10/17/2014, 11:39 PM
I had the camera out tonight, and the baby venustus popped out. I caught 1 shot. So I grabbed the flash and caught a couple of more....

This was the first shot - No Flash. He doesn't look too skinny.
http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/Oct/Venustus_Baby1.jpg

Greg R was over tonight shooting video for Chefzilla's Chowdown food. We fed the tank 3-4 times but this guy stayed out of sight. But his stomach looks a little filled out.

Hard to get perspective but this guy is about 2"
http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/Oct/VenustusBaby2.jpg

I have to share this shot. Not a full shot of the Venustus. But a capture shot of my Golden Angel. I had a pair of these last year before a tank crash. (Which was a year ago this past month). So in the past year I have had 2 brief glimpses of the golden in the back of the tank. But always just a glimpse. With so many fish in the tank I was 100% sure I was seeing the golden. But sure enough tonight it photo bombed the photo. I was shooting with a flash, so when I shot the photo I didn't even see the Golden in the shot. I have had this one for a little over 5 years.
http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/Oct/VenustusBaby3.jpg

Here is the more outgoing of my 2 adult Venustus
http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/Oct/Venustus.jpg

And in case anybody was worried about mine not being a good eater.
http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2014/Oct/Venustus2.jpg

Dave B

SteelMastiff
10/18/2014, 12:38 AM
It's great to hear everyone's is doing well, unfortunately my little Venustus decided to beach itself on top of my overflow cover. It just makes me sick, he was a keeper from the word go, very outgoing, and was really thriving for the short time I had him. I will have another one, perhaps a pair, again at some point...