PDA

View Full Version : Rock Question

NYR
05/23/2014, 08:02 PM
Hey all, upon researching for my first tank I'm currently planning which type of rock to get (dry vs live) and where to get it. Which did you go with and why?

Hentz
05/23/2014, 10:47 PM
Usually it's better to get live, it honestly just kind of quickens the cycle and is already ready to go really.

Dry rock you've got to seed and cycle completely, though it assures you'll get no pests lol.

Usually you'd wanna build the tank up with rock and then not add anymore once you're done setting it up.

To save money you can do half and half, let the live rock seed the dry rock.
Or even just go all dry rock and put some bacteria in it along with live sand.

Tons of options, all up to you!

With both, you wanna test and wait for cycles to go through and finish.

Remember, this hobby is about patience. It will benefit the most!

NanoReefWanabe
05/24/2014, 06:54 AM
dry rock also gives you more bang for your buck…10 pounds of dry will be close to 15 pounds once it is wet and live. also dry rock makes it a lot easier to mount and fix the rocks anyway you like, since cement, and epoxy stick much better to dry rocks then wet ones..(use a dab of crazy glue on each side of the epoxy to make it work even better)

my vote is for about 85% dry and a couple rocks to seed with that you can clearly see are pest free.

terrypercula
05/24/2014, 07:01 AM
I'm a HUGE dry rock fan. No pests, no unwanted algaes, no surprises. There's ways to seed dry rock with what you want in your tank. It's much cheaper than live rock as well. If you have patience it's the way to go. HOWEVER if you do not dip your coral before addition you can throw all the benefits of dry rock away. Live rock isn't all bad, there's plenty of positives but it's not for me.

Fishy 1
05/24/2014, 07:17 AM
Well I have to say it depends on what you what to achieve. If you want no pests then go dry and if you want a quick cycle the live is the go. When I set my 67 gallon up i used live because I wanted a quick cycle and when i set my nano up I used dry because I wanted no pests. But like Dave says if you don't dip corals then going dry is nearly pointless.

NYR
05/24/2014, 08:33 AM
I was looking into the BRS reef saver rock. If I went 100% with that I heard all you have to do is clean it, throw it in the tank and start the cycle.