PDA

View Full Version : Feedback from AI Nano Sol on Biocube 29g owners

Joboo
05/24/2014, 12:42 PM
Hi folks,

I'm looking for feedback from AI Nano Sol owners who run the fixture on Biocube 29g tanks. Any issues keeping corals or inverts? If you have any pics you can share I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Joboo
05/30/2014, 01:44 PM
No one is running an AI Sol Nano on a Biocube 29g?

limpert
06/01/2014, 10:15 AM
tagging along

Joboo
06/02/2014, 06:46 PM
FYI.. I emailed AI and they stated that the Nano Sol is enough light to maintain soft/LPS/SPS including Clams in a BC29g.

kalgra
06/02/2014, 06:59 PM
I had the AI nano over a JBJ 28g. I personally never liked that light. Nothing ever seemed to grow well under it.

Perhaps I just never found its sweet spot.

Anemone12
06/02/2014, 07:24 PM
What lights do you have now?

kalgra
06/02/2014, 08:29 PM
What lights do you have now?

I don't have that tank anymore but I had switched to a gen 1 Radion and was very happy with that light by comparison.

awdjosh
06/03/2014, 11:42 PM
I'm using a AI Vega over my Nuvo16 and have great growth, its a SPS dominant tank. IIonly run it about 50% as it can throw out lots of PAR/PUR. I wouldn't recommend the AI Nano at all, its not enough even over a tank like mine.

awdjosh
06/03/2014, 11:43 PM
Idk why my text is so damn big lol

kalgra
06/04/2014, 07:31 AM
You know the weird thing about the AI nano is that is that it did seem to be bright enough for my 28g aside front he spread part that was not sufficient for the outer edges just my opinion. But even directly under the light where par was around 300 I still struggled to grow and color some corals. I always assumed it was either some problem with the spectrum or just the way I had the different channels tuned. I know plenty of folks that have pretty successful tanks using the full size AI sol so you would think the results would be similar.

When I went on a hunt long ago to find someone who was having real success with the AI nano so I could reference how they had theirs tuned I came up with nothing which is odd because people usually jump at the chance to brag about their tank.

Roger30
06/04/2014, 11:08 PM
I have an ai nano on a jbj 30 rimless. I have zoa's and torches at the bottom 1/3 of the tank. In the middle I have a Duncan and cloves. Everything has been growing great. I even had xenas on the top 1/3 of my tank. However, I did place a monti on the top 1/3 of the tank and it's not doing that good, it's growing but slowly. Also I'm running my nano only at 60% intensity. Overall pretty happy with it! However you do have less light on the sides of the tank and may not be the best if you want to do sps. Not sure how much smaller a cube is then mine.

Joboo
06/06/2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to start with a few softies and go from there. Ill post my results.

I have an ai nano on a jbj 30 rimless. I have zoa's and torches at the bottom 1/3 of the tank. In the middle I have a Duncan and cloves. Everything has been growing great. I even had xenas on the top 1/3 of my tank. However, I did place a monti on the top 1/3 of the tank and it's not doing that good, it's growing but slowly. Also I'm running my nano only at 60% intensity. Overall pretty happy with it! However you do have less light on the sides of the tank and may not be the best if you want to do sps. Not sure how much smaller a cube is then mine.

Roger, is there a particular reason why you have not bumped up the intensity past 60%? When I run it at 60 it seems a little dim.

Roger30
06/06/2014, 09:40 PM
Anything I place on the highest rock does bad until I move it down! Everything has been growing fine so I figure why push it. I was planning on pushing up the intensity since my monti is not doing as good as I like

kalgra
06/07/2014, 09:11 AM
Anything I place on the highest rock does bad until I move it down! Everything has been growing fine so I figure why push it. I was planning on pushing up the intensity since my monti is not doing as good as I like

I experienced something very similar. At about 8" above the surface If I turned up the intensity to get better growth around the edges id burn anything directly under it that was high up on the rock. Maybe it was the lenses idk.

I ended up raising the light really high about 22"-24" above the tank and cranking it all the way up and did have better results. I want killing anything but I wasn't growing very much. This was a long time ago when this light was very first released so Im having trouble finding very helpful time accurate pictures. This was taken about a month or two before I decided to switch. with the light raised high and turned way up.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/kalgra/Reefing/P1020661.jpg (http://s831.photobucket.com/user/kalgra/media/Reefing/P1020661.jpg.html)

kalgra
06/07/2014, 09:30 AM
For comparison. I want to say this pic came 6-7 months after switching to a Gen1 Radion but im not sure. I know it was less than 9 months because thats when our house sitter accidentally dumped hand lotion in the tank and nuked everything. Not the greatest pic but its all I have.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/kalgra/Reefing/null_zps3dcff3c8.jpg (http://s831.photobucket.com/user/kalgra/media/Reefing/null_zps3dcff3c8.jpg.html)