PDA

View Full Version : butterfly fish tank choice?

Daniel62
05/24/2014, 09:00 PM
So here is the question. Which tank would be better size/shape wise. A standard 180 or I have a chance at a 200 gallon hex tank 48" at the widest flat sides and 36 inches deep. Would the fish rather swim back and forth or round and round. LOL so give me your opinions please.

Thanks
Daniel

NEK-ap24
05/25/2014, 08:11 AM
I have been through many tanks now...For me, in either FOWLR or Reef tanks the front to back dimension provides more usable space than height for anything but a sea horse breeding tank.

That being said, this is still a tough choice (maybe) because length is a big player too. I try to go a long as possible first, then as deep front to back as possible and never go "taller" then 27" top to bottom.

So I don't know which dimension you refer to as "deep"...if it is front to back 36" or 36" tall (top to bottom)

If it were 36" tall from top to bottom, I would go with the standard 180 without hesitation. I think you will get very frustrated with the 36" depth, unless you are an NBA star center and have arms for days!

If it were dimensions of app. 48"x36"x27" tall...then it is a more difficult choice. I think that extra foot of front to back space is great and allows some really beautiful aquascaping, and though I am no butterfly expert, I think many butterflies would do just fine in a large tank with those dimensions.

This is assuming that both are glass :) if the hex is an acrylic tank....then again I would go for the glass 180. But that is a whole other debate...the butterflies probably wouldn't care about that.

So those are my opinions! not based on any scientific or special expertise other then some of my trial and error and error and error.

Good luck, and post pictures of whatever you choose!

MrTuskfish
05/25/2014, 08:57 AM
Length is almost always better that depth. IMO, hex (and cube) tanks are a huge waste of space, the upper portions of the tank are rarely used and the fish have very limited swimming space. Also, the bigger footprint of long tanks provides for much better gas exchange, leading to more oxygen and more fish capacity.

Daniel62
05/25/2014, 12:03 PM
Thanks guy. longer it is:)