PDA

View Full Version : Reef Savvy with Hybrid Overflow. How to Plumb it?

powder_blue
05/26/2014, 09:07 AM
So I finally took the plunge and got a Reef Savvy 60x24x18 and it has the hybrid over flow. It has a 1.5" drain and 1" return hole. I am used to my standard AGA mega flow where it had a durso drain that all I had to do was adjust the height of the drain to taste. I am not sure how to set the height and also what style of drain (ie. just open pvc pipe, durso, etc). I don't have enough room inside the overflow to do anything other than a straight pipe and I want to make sure this thing is quiet. Any input is greatly appreciated.

drew2007
05/26/2014, 09:16 AM
I would set it up herbie style and have the return come up and over the back of the tank.

powder_blue
05/26/2014, 09:52 AM
I would do that but the hybrid overflow has a cover and after spending that much money on a tank it's gotta be super clean. I don't see a need for an emergency drain when nothing can get into the overflow but I may be missing something. :beer:

Zacktosterone
05/26/2014, 10:41 AM
the emergency drain isn't there to protect things from getting in there.... it's to protect from flow. if anything happens like slime buildup, pump performance deterioration or something that blocks the teeth and hinders flow... the drain and the siphon will come out of syncronization and you'll be in trouble without the emergency drain

GatorAlum05
07/14/2014, 05:05 AM
Always do emergency drain. Always.