PDA

View Full Version : Return pump advise

djbetterly
05/26/2014, 12:21 PM
So here is my setup. I have a 50gallon tank and a sump with 15 gallons in it. My return line is 1/2" and my overflow is 1". The distance from pump to outlet in DT is about 5 ft. Coming off of the return pump I have a line going to a GFO reactor and a sump return line going back into the sump.

Currently I have a Sicce Syncra 4 and I feel like its overpowering the system, its also incredibly noisy.

Any advise on other options?

intyme
05/26/2014, 01:05 PM
Have you looked into Danner mag drives? I have a 7 and it's quiet

djbetterly
05/26/2014, 01:30 PM
I was considering a waveline DC pump, I've heard good things so far. Any thoughts?

azjohnny
05/26/2014, 01:31 PM
The Sicce 4 should be quiet, install a ball valve at the pumps exit to control the flow

gcarroll
05/26/2014, 01:51 PM
The Sicce 4 should be quiet, install a ball valve at the pumps exit to control the flow

Agreed!
If the sicce syncra 4 is noisy, it may be vibrating against something. Can you post a pic showing how it's installed in the sump

djbetterly
05/26/2014, 02:04 PM
I do have a gate valve for controlling the flow. I guess one of my thoughts was that I should be using a larger diameter hose on the outlet. You have the option of using 3/4" or 1" and I'm using 3/4". When I touch the pump I don't feel any vibrations but when I touch the outlet house its like a little vibrator. So I was wondering if that hose is too small for the amount of water its pushing out. Does that make sense?

djbetterly
05/26/2014, 03:33 PM
Ok, here are a few pics.

Note that there is no plumbing actually touching the sides of the sump any where. I ended up using some zip ties to steady the plumbing with hopes of silencing the vibrations. The only thing I haven't tried yet is using all soft tubing or flex pvc. All I can say is the noise is driving me nuts.