PDA

View Full Version : New blue-green chromis bullying chalk bass

mjs61290
05/26/2014, 12:53 PM
Hey all.

Two days ago, I purchased a blue-green chromis for my 75G. Other inhabitants include an ocellaris, a royal gramma, a Kole tang, a yellowtail damsel and a chalk bass.

Well, the chromis has taken to chasing my chalk bass and forcing him into his hiding spot under the rocks.

I have the lights off, but that hasn't really stopped the chromis from doing his thing.

He tried going at my damsel, but the damsel had none of it and fought him off.

So, what are some ways I can solve this problem? I'm thinking either:

a.) take the chromis to a LFS nearby (the place I bought him isn't close, so I'm hoping maybe a local store could take him off my hands as a last resort)

b.) add more chromis

c.) add more chalk bass

I know chromis can shoal, but I've also heard you're taking a chance of there being some aggression between them.

I've also heard chalk bass can shoal without much of a problem.

Any advice here?

Betta132
05/26/2014, 05:20 PM
Couple of things to try:
Rearrange rockwork to make it look new in there
Give the chromis a mirror and see if he attacks it

And I really hope you're rehoming the Kole. Those get BIG. Minimum size is almost three times the size of yours, I believe.

mjs61290
05/26/2014, 05:21 PM
Couple of things to try:
Rearrange rockwork to make it look new in there
Give the chromis a mirror and see if he attacks it

And I really hope you're rehoming the Kole. Those get BIG. Minimum size is almost three times the size of yours, I believe.
Koles stay small, man. One of the smaller tangs.

Dmorty217
05/27/2014, 02:05 PM
75g can work for a Kole if he is one of a few fish. If it were me I would catch the chromis and take him to a LFS or try and sell him or rehome him to a local reefer. Chromis are hardly worth your time or trouble, just get rid of him

Triggerfish
05/29/2014, 05:46 PM
if it were me i would catch the chromis and take him to a lfs or try and sell him or rehome him to a local reefer. Chromis are hardly worth your time or trouble, just get rid of him

+1

snorvich
05/29/2014, 06:11 PM
+1

+2