PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Question

Tiki God
05/26/2014, 02:44 PM
Hey RC!

I was just curious, can NPS corals be in the light? Is there anything that would hurt them by light exposure?

Nemato
05/26/2014, 05:01 PM
Yes they can be on light. The only concern about it is algal growth, specially in gorgs. But if you can control this there's no problem, in fact mine are under MH 10 hours/day. Keeping a good part of the for years now.

Keep in mind that NPS require a good amount of food, so maintining water quality is more difficult and hence the more light available the more chances for algae to develop. Also some nonphoto LPS (such as tubastrea)when they first arrive from shop to the tank they tend to open without light, so they only feed at night time.

Regards

hypostatic
05/27/2014, 05:52 AM
depends.

some NPS don't really care about light, like sun corals, and will open up during the day to feed. Others like some gorgs, are actually inhibited by the light, and wont open as much to feed when there is light

Nemato
05/27/2014, 07:19 AM
depends.

some NPS don't really care about light, like sun corals, and will open up during the day to feed. Others like some gorgs, are actually inhibited by the light, and wont open as much to feed when there is light

Don't agree at all. Having 6 species now, they all have a good feeding response in daylight. But food must be present in water, if not they close to save energy.

Tiki God
05/27/2014, 04:52 PM
Cool, thanks for the responses guys!

Yes they can be on light. The only concern about it is algal growth, specially in gorgs. But if you can control this there's no problem, in fact mine are under MH 10 hours/day. Keeping a good part of the for years now.

Keep in mind that NPS require a good amount of food, so maintining water quality is more difficult and hence the more light available the more chances for algae to develop. Also some nonphoto LPS (such as tubastrea)when they first arrive from shop to the tank they tend to open without light, so they only feed at night time.

Regards

I have kept nuisance algae down for a while now, I think they would be alright in my tank :)

I forgot about feeding them, what works best, or is your guys' favorite food?

hypostatic
05/27/2014, 08:00 PM
Don't agree at all. Having 6 species now, they all have a good feeding response in daylight. But food must be present in water, if not they close to save energy.

I've read that acalycigorgia are particularly inhibited, with warmer light spectrums causing the most inhibition

Nemato
05/30/2014, 01:05 PM
I've read that acalycigorgia are particularly inhibited, with warmer light spectrums causing the most inhibition

I haven't experienced yet with this gorg since it seems one of the most difficult corals to keep alive, specially in longterm. I've in the NPS world for uears now and I still don't feel sure of taking care of an Acalycigorgia... Have seen some in shops open just under the light at all times for weeks.

But they're very tricky, been reading to prepare taking one in a few months seems that they need very high flow, clean water and tons of variated food, also to buy a very healthy specimen to start with. With that parameters too, success is not even guaranted.

Some nps such as scleros and dendronephthya react to light opening and being healthier than just in the dark, they need a photoperiod such as us.