PDA

View Full Version : is my bta already dead

rooskie
05/26/2014, 11:32 PM
my green bta started looking like this bout 5-6 days ago. it still eats and still comes out but not sure if its dying and if so what should i do bout it.

ph-8.2
ammonia-0.25
nitrite-0
nitrate-20

did water change last week,wednesday

also had brown cyno for bout 3 weeks and its now clearing up

100g tank with overflow box running into sump with skimmer in sump, overflow box does 150g per hour

DasCamel
05/27/2014, 12:29 AM
my green bta started looking like this bout 5-6 days ago. it still eats and still comes out but not sure if its dying and if so what should i do bout it.

ph-8.2
ammonia-0.25
nitrite-0
nitrate-20

did water change last week,wednesday

also had brown cyno for bout 3 weeks and its now clearing up

100g tank with overflow box running into sump with skimmer in sump, overflow box does 150g per hour

You want pristine and stable water quality. Not sure about the nitrates, but why do you have ammonia? I would start with a 25% water change and look into water quality. Water changes every day or two until you get the ammonia to zero.

How old is the tank and how's the bio load, more details please.

SwampyBill
05/27/2014, 01:07 AM
+1 ^^^...That anemone is severely bleached, but it's a good sign that it's still eating. Get your water parameters in check, then weekly small feedings should help the BTA gain more zooxanthellae. You'll have a long road ahead getting the nem healthy, but it can be done...Good luck!!

How old is your tank & what's the lighting over it?

rooskie
05/27/2014, 05:37 AM
tank has had fish in it since march and i also have a couple of frag pieces.

lights are t5ho,2 actinic, and 2 10k bulbs and yes i know i need new bulbs just haven't had the cash right now

i have 2 green chromis,1 blue damsel, foxface, 2 wrasse, dwarf lionfish, and maroon clown

SwampyBill
05/27/2014, 11:47 AM
You'll need to get stronger lighting for that nem to survive & gain it's zooxlanthellae back. Feeding it will help, but it needs good lighting too. Fish don't care what type lighting they're under, but most anemones & corals do.

Ronic
05/27/2014, 01:36 PM
new bulbs and a new fixture to use the 4 new bulbs that you have....:)

gixxerman
05/27/2014, 06:52 PM
Not sure on your tank dimension's, 4 T5HO bulbs should be good. I only run 4 in a 90g and have no problem keeping RBTA'S....

Makena95GT
05/27/2014, 07:48 PM
We should def focus on the fact that the tank isnt cycled before the lights

Mynx
05/28/2014, 01:17 AM
We should def focus on the fact that the tank isnt cycled before the lights

I'm all for jumping the gun on some things, but a sensitive animal such as an anemone would do best in a stable long cycled tank. Lighting can always be rigged easily, I started with 1 T8, moved up to Dual T5's and then got an LED Support strip, the support strip is amazing for nems I've found.

Since you already have him, waterchanges, find yourself an LED support strip at the least until you can fund bigger and better lighting system and feed him. He'll pull through this if you can really work at it.