PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keeping Sebaes?

pbft_90
05/27/2014, 06:56 PM
I see tons of threads on gigs mags BTA and Lta but not a lot on sebae, anyone keeping these with any luck?

M Woodhill
05/27/2014, 06:59 PM
Mine is still unanchored. Have already put it in an acclimating box and will trade it

DasCamel
05/27/2014, 07:04 PM
I've got one anchored and eating. Getting a nice tan also. Only had it for around 6-8 weeks though.

rhdoug
05/27/2014, 07:23 PM
12 years and counting...

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh610/rhdoug/Studio%20Reef%20Tank%202012/FTS3-6-2012A.jpg

pbft_90
05/27/2014, 07:37 PM
Wow randy heck of a tank/anem.... Anything special you do? Target feed? Do your clowns host in it ? Looking good.

rhdoug
05/27/2014, 07:45 PM
The occellaris clowns in the pic have been in it for 8.5 years, and spawn under the edge of it as well. Previous tenants were a pair of spawning gold bar maroons that I lost when a heater broke in my sump and killed all the fish. They were in it for about 4 years. I target feed it with the frozen mix of mysis etc every day or so. Just a squirt with the turkey baster.

Mynx
05/27/2014, 11:38 PM
I have a Sebae. Anchored, eating huge amounts (He'll eat anything, and has yet to spit anything out... Oddly enough this includes rocks, chunks of fallen coral, and anything that drifts to him.) Rocking the tan color, though not all in yet. :3

Oooh forgot he's in my avatar, he's changed color since that pic, and gotten bigger. Hosting a 4" Saddleback and her Ocellaris Mate.

Reefahholic
05/27/2014, 11:54 PM
Nice tank Randy!!

I had a white Sebae and kept him quite a while. I really liked his color, but dear God...He had the worse smell when you touched him. It wouldn't come off my hands for days.

Kinda like a Texas stink bug but worse.

He seemed to want to anchor into the edge of the reef or in the rocks completely. He ate and would open fully when enjoying himself.

If he didn't like his location, he would inflate and ball up like a RBTA and blow around the tank and usually get behind my reef where I couldn't see him and deep in the rocks. Started to get annoying. He ended up getting sick with 4 of my other Nems and died pretty rapidly. By the time I realized how bad he was, It was too late. I started tx with no luck. I don't really miss him because he didn't really move or sway that well in the flow.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/JaredJHarms/Mobile%20Uploads/DAB51EC5-EA87-4ED9-861E-00C89298DB3E.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/user/JaredJHarms/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DAB51EC5-EA87-4ED9-861E-00C89298DB3E.jpg.html)

Mynx
05/28/2014, 01:26 AM
I had a white Sebae and kept him quite a while. I really liked his color, but dear God...He had the worse smell when you touched him. It wouldn't come off my hands for days.

Mine doesn't stink, I've touched him a few times, and once accidentally punched him in the mouth (He's okay, honest, he didn't even get hurt, just deflated and re-inflated 15 mins later) No smell, mine also didn't stay white, even though the LFS that sold it to me told me he would "never ever change color!"

rhdoug
05/28/2014, 07:24 AM
A white sebae is a bleached sebae which needs to be fed and acclimated to bright lighting in order to survive. The only stinky ones I've smelled were dead or dying, but I guess some of 'em could be normally stinky. If healthy and in the correct environment(bright light, moderate to occasionally strong current) they seem to be pretty easy to keep IME. The one in my pic wandered into a powerhead shortly after I got him and was shredded in half all the way through the mouth. In a few of months he looked completely normal. I have seen him (he is a male) spawn twice - one time was the day after the heater event. I think that was a "stress-induced spawn" - when the animal tries to reproduce when it thinks death is knocking.