PDA

View Full Version : Is this safe?

idisc
05/29/2014, 01:14 PM
I scored a decent deal on craigslist for a 150 Gallon tank. The only thing that makes me worry is the clam damage on the back/ corner. This glass looks to be 1/2" thick and it's not going even close to all the way through..no damage on the inside.

I hear that it won't go any further with the type of "Break" - This tank was in a wall. The other thing is the bottom trim is missing like 8" on one side. Could I use a peice of wood to match the height and it will be fine.

Previous owner said it was all fine and no leaks. I couldn't test because I do not have a stand for it yet. I was thinking about using EPOXY and filling in the clam shell damage and around it just to be on the safe side. Let me know your thoughts. More images will be attached below

idisc
05/29/2014, 01:15 PM
Here are more Images.

Pife
05/29/2014, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't risk it.

saltyair
05/29/2014, 01:24 PM
Yea that doesn't look good I wouldn't risk it IMO

Stolireef
05/29/2014, 02:05 PM
No way in heck would I set up that tank. Between the frame damage and the glass chip, you're asking to have 150 gallons of water on your floor.

AZBigJohn
05/29/2014, 02:14 PM
I have to side with everyone else and say, "Don't do it." 150 gallons of water is 1200 pounds of outward force, already missing 8" of support from the missing frame. You have no idea what sort of forces that tank was under being pulled from the wall that caused that frame to crack like that.

I know you spent money on it already, but that's a lot of water to clean up...

Donkeykong
05/29/2014, 02:27 PM
Use it for reptiles and such, not water at all!

idisc
05/29/2014, 04:08 PM
Very Disheartening... I don't have any Reps lol...But maybe I will invest in some..or sell the tank...I wish I had a stand to even attempt to set it up lol.

Stolireef
05/29/2014, 04:19 PM
In this hobby, skimping on the tank makes little sense. When I add things up, the glass was one of the less expensive parts of the setup and I went with a new rimless, reef ready Leemar 110. You will see used tanks for sale all the time that are in great condition for a small fraction of the new price. Take your time and find something worth filling.

poopy99
05/29/2014, 04:27 PM
well he bought it already, soooooo.... now what?

idisc
05/29/2014, 04:59 PM
I paid $125 for the tank, ASM G2 Skimmer, 3x Hydor 1400 Powerheads, 2x 300 watt heaters, MagDrive 18 Return, Tunze AT1 Auto Top-Off and other stuff. Either way i'm not really out money..The extra's that came with it have a higher cost than I even paid for the tank.

Just wish I didn't have to re-purpose it. I guess I will list it all on craigs or on here for sale. I guess I can take the pipes off the bottom of the overflows and stuff.

Just sucks I don't even have a stand to test it out. Any good pets (Not Snakes) that I could keep well in a tank this size?

Spiffy
05/29/2014, 05:10 PM
I would put this out by the curb. You could use it as a sump.... I don't know.

Crooked Reef
05/29/2014, 07:15 PM
Bearded dragons are cool.

08.Rolan
05/30/2014, 10:39 AM
You could strip it down & rebuild the whole tank.
Then your'll know what you're got.
That is what I did 5 years ago.
Also replaced one suspect panel of glass.
There are stacks of "how to's on YouTube.

Whistl3r
05/30/2014, 07:11 PM
Turtles! Only need the bottom third of the tank filled. Honestly you should be able to sell it easily for what you paid as a reptile tank.

SwampyBill
05/30/2014, 08:25 PM
+1 on selling as a reptile tank. No way I'd put water in it. I've seen the damage an exploded 150gal aquarium can do to a room. Thankfully no one or no pets were near when it exploded, cause huge glass shards were found embedded in the sofa & under baseboards across the room...

JMorris271
05/30/2014, 08:37 PM
I see a very wet floor in your future if you use this tank. If you must, fill it with water and run pump for about a year full of MR outside. If it has no leaks by then, you're good to go. ( I am sincerely sorry for your delima but I hope you get a new tank.)

AwwNuts
06/01/2014, 02:41 PM
You'll be fine tank won't give. I had a 150 with exact damage and had it for 3 years running without a problem. Also had trim Pices that were missing. My tank was 1/2" thick as well with no center bracing as that is how it was made.

idisc
06/01/2014, 04:07 PM
Ya that's what I was thinking...its thick glass.... I might just purchase renters insurance...like $15 a month covers $20,000 and then give it a whirl. This tank has a large euro brace also.

Where the trim is missing I was planning on just using some wood to keep the pressure off that spot if that's even needed.

AwwNuts
06/01/2014, 04:50 PM
Right. Mine had the same damage on two ends of the glass and at first I had my doubts but had it running with no issues. Then sold it as I upgraded and the new buyer which he is into reefing as well didn't worry him one bit. He still has my 150 running. Enjoy Your Tank Meanwhile u save for your next upgrade lol

Most people would tell u to toss it but they haven't had first hand experience with one of these tanks. If the tank glass thickness was less than 1/2" glass then I would prob reconsider.

MickeyDime53
06/01/2014, 04:57 PM
Put it outside to leak test it. Why would you even want to leak test it indoors?

Doesnt need to be on a stand to be full of water to test.

Sk8r
06/01/2014, 05:10 PM
At worst, it will fail on that seam, but it might go years ok. The problem is, a fail could be a catastropic fail with no slow leak warning.

Clam damage, however? That look like an impact.

RocketCityNano
06/01/2014, 06:02 PM
Don't do it! Not worth the risk...could you sleep knowing that the tank could fail at any moment?

idisc
06/04/2014, 12:29 AM
Well after some hard cleaning work I took off the overflows pipes and filled it up in the living room.....and guess what...6 hours later..no leaks...very nice looking tank.

http://images.craigslist.org/01111_cRqRYJlxeOR_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00y0y_3cVrouW3rBP_50x50c.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00i0i_gQ7CvWlwi5d_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_cAFgACtlssv_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00y0y_eoHC4H0wpR4_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00h0h_93xT0XctUAX_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_kihYynKxOpb_600x450.jpg

AwwNuts
06/04/2014, 12:33 AM
Nice off to a good start

EDJFA
06/04/2014, 09:22 AM
So after hearing 13 different people tell you don't do it, you heard one person say that it's OK to use it, decided he was right (because this is what you really wanted to hear to begin with), and are now contemplating using the tank? Ummm...OK.

I think you're missing the point. While it may not leak after 6 hours, there's no telling how long it will hold out before it does give.

What's going to happen in the future is that everytime you look at your tank, the first thing you're going to notice is that bad spot. Then you're going to worry constantly about when/if it gives out and destroys your tank, carpet, flooring, furniture, etc. You'll wish you had replaced it now, before everything was all set up. Cause it's a big pain the butt to do it later. At some point down the road you'll find a better tank with zero issues and decide to change it anyway. Or you'll upgrade to a nicer or bigger tank.

Do yourself a favor and spend the next few days cruising CL looking for a replacement tank that doesn't have any issues. I promise you it will be a good move and it will be worth the small delay in the long run.

ahmed_iAM
06/06/2014, 08:33 AM
Use it for a shrimp hatchery or grow macroalgae in it but outside your house

DSMpunk
06/09/2014, 09:51 AM
Im about as cheap as it gets in this hobby, but there is no way I would put that tank full of water in my house. Used tanks are cheap, sell it as a reptile tank and get a different one.

nemo4984
06/09/2014, 02:03 PM
Glad to hear that your having a good experience with your tank. I recently got into the same position with a tank I purchased off of craigslist. But it has been nothing but problems. :(

hilgert
06/09/2014, 02:14 PM
+1 with everyone else (but one I guess?)...don't risk it. You got a good deal on the rest of the stuff...the seller basically "gave" you the tank so he would not have to deal with it (I'm sure he was very happy to "help" you with this).

Everything else you can replace on-the-fly if you wanted (pumps, lights, heaters, etc...even a sump), but the one thing you cannot replace on-the-fly is the main tank. That's the one item (as someone else said) that I would not ever consider skimping on...get a new tank.