PDA

View Full Version : When to start vinegar

Mules1
05/29/2014, 06:23 PM
I am starting a new tank. In my current tank I have battled high nutrients and ultimately have lost the battle. Good news is that there is a big upgrade!

My question is: I would like to dose vinegar on this system. When do I start?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/30/2014, 05:29 AM
On the new tank? I'd start when or shortly after I began to add fish foods. :)

Mules1
05/30/2014, 05:33 AM
Do you think it would be a good idea to ghost feed and dose to build the bacteria before livestock transfer?

Mules1
05/30/2014, 11:29 AM
Or should I just start pellets and let them do their thing as time progresses?

Mules1
05/31/2014, 04:26 PM
Will this work?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/31/2014, 05:53 PM
I'd pick vinegar over pellets, but both can work. I'd start as soon as you are feeding fish. :)

Mules1
05/31/2014, 07:27 PM
That's what I will do. Thanks Randy!

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/01/2014, 05:51 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck! :)

DiscusHeckel
06/01/2014, 06:21 AM
Historically, all my tanks had very low measurable nitrates (typically less than 0.2 ppm- Salifert) despite heavy feeding and heavy fish load.

In my present tank (250 lt net), I decided to experiment with white vinegar (5%) dosing after reading tmz's thread here on RC and Randy's article.

When I started the dosing I had some cyano on the rocks (I have a BB tank). While dosing I also continued to use Salifert Amino acid supplement once a week at the maximum suggested dose. Shortly after starting to dose 12 ml per day, the cyano disappeared, but most of my acroporas started STN from their base. I stopped vinegar dosing immediately and started to use Rowa Phos instead to deal with phosphates. After stopping vinegar dosing, STN stopped too. I do not know whether the problem was due to vinegar or using Amino acids in conjunction with vinegar.

What I have concluded from this experience is that unless measurable nitrates are high and start to cause problems, there is not any need for vinegar dosing (or any other organic carbon dosing).

Is this a reasonable conclusion?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/01/2014, 03:03 PM
IMO, there are benefits to organic carbon dosing that go beyond nutrient control. Having bacteria in the water to feed organisms such as sponges, for example.

But I think a reasonable conclusion is that it wasn't desirable in your situation. :)