PDA

View Full Version : Return pump sizing?

starionesir
05/30/2014, 06:50 AM
My mag drive pump is 7 years old and getting very noisy. I'm looking for a new return pump and also thinking about running some other things off it like a bio pellet reactor or something similar. The tank is approx 100 gallons with a 40 gallon sump.

Currently running half inch pvc which is a little small for what I probably need but the tank is drilled in the back to accept a half inch bulk head fitting. I can try and use a dremel tool to open the hole up larger to go to 3/4 but hate to do that unless I really have to.

Was looking at the sicce silent pumps and heard alot of good things about them and was also thinking of going dc for the adjustability. I've heard good and bad about dc pumps. The adjustability is nice and I've heard the dc pumps are not only more energy efficient but dead silent running. I'd appreciate anyones input or opinions on whats the best pump and gph I need to run. I just don't want to buy something too small and not be able to run different things I may want to run in the future.

Wazzel
05/30/2014, 06:55 AM
If it were my tank I would get a PanWorld 100PX-MD40R. It is rated for 790 GPH. Not sure if it is "the best" but they have been reliable to me.

If you want to stay submerged, I do not have a suggestion. I have not used a submerged return pump in over 10 years, and when I did it was a mag 7 on a 110.

myram
05/30/2014, 07:00 AM
The DC return pumps are still pretty new, so the longevity of them is still up in the air.

If I was doing an internal return pump, with not a lot of head, I would go with a DC pump for sure. Probably the DC12000 and then you can turn it down a bit if needed.

starionesir
05/30/2014, 07:28 AM
The sump is directly below the DT so wouldn't be running alot of head pressure. The longevity is what I was worried about with the dc pumps being they are still very new.

pmrossetti
05/30/2014, 07:34 AM
The Mag or Sicce are good choices imho.

myram
05/30/2014, 07:49 AM
The sump is directly below the DT so wouldn't be running alot of head pressure. The longevity is what I was worried about with the dc pumps being they are still very new.

In that case, go with a DC pump. Low power usage, low heat, and silent.
Do some research for a brand that is getting great reviews, and go for it.

starionesir
05/30/2014, 08:13 AM
I've been looking around and seen pretty good reviews on the jebao and waveline pumps. Right now trying to find a retailer for them. BRS used to sell the speedline dc pumps but I don't see them listed on there site anymore.