PDA

View Full Version : Faux Sand Bed

Rokiman
05/30/2014, 04:49 PM
Hey guys!

So I've been looking around and have been trying to do some research on how to do a Faux Sandbed for a 34 gallon Solana cube. Wanted to do an All Acro tank, love the look of sand but hate that it gets pushed around and not to mention the detritus but not entirely a fan of the BB either. BB looks realllyy good if it's really clean however I'm not always on top of things so my last resort is Faux Sand Bed. I've been looking for Famowood Epoxy everywhere but can't get it here in town! Saw several other reefers post about using Bondo. Was wondering if there are any tips, comments or concerns about using Bondo to make the FSB? Here's a pic of it. I have everything ready just scared to do it without confirmation haha

karimwassef
05/30/2014, 04:54 PM
What are you scared of?

Rokiman
05/30/2014, 06:30 PM
What are you scared of?

just wanting to make sure it's the correct bottle lol last thing i want is to mess up the tank

zachts
05/30/2014, 07:28 PM
I've seen a few done, only problem is eventually the solid "sand bed" grows coraline algea or just plain algea and no longer lookds like a sand bed but a piece of live rock..........

Why not just use a thin layer of more course sand that will not blow around?

karimwassef
05/30/2014, 09:03 PM
Why not use a flat piece of acrylic and cover that. If you need to redo the tank, just pull it out.

uncleof6
05/30/2014, 09:29 PM
Oolitic sand keeps detritus out of the sand bed, and is what should be used. Diffuse flow, the type of flow required in an aquarium does not move the sand around. The circulation should be sufficient in magnatude to keep detritus from falling out. You can also add a very thin layer of coarser material (a shell mixture) on top of the oolitic, and that will keep it in place as well. The coarser material gives "builders" something to build with. Seems like a huge waste of "workload" to do an unatural sandbed that won't quite look like a sandbed, and certainly won't work as one. (Though I do know you are not intending a dsb.) From 30 something years of running sand beds.

Yodeling
05/30/2014, 09:57 PM
I've seen a few done, only problem is eventually the solid "sand bed" grows coraline algea or just plain algea and no longer lookds like a sand bed but a piece of live rock..........

^ This.

Rokiman
06/01/2014, 01:56 PM
thanks guys! after having some thought about it, i realized it was point-less if it no longer looked like sand after algae coveres it. I decided to go BB instead.

Bent
06/01/2014, 02:58 PM
Want my opinion?

Go on eBay and grab some sand looking vinyl wrap from eBay and wrap the outside bottom.

shelby28
06/01/2014, 06:53 PM
^^^ that sounds like a good idea. If it dosnt work just go another rout and no one will know

whosurcaddie
06/01/2014, 08:35 PM
Take a look at this I've seen a tank with this cut to exact dimensions and it looked amazing. http://www.designsbynature.net/products-page/deluxe-3d-bgs/rocky-sheet/

I know it says its a background but this guy used it for his sand bed.

http://www.designsbynature.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/rocky4.gif

Here it is installed. looks like sand to me.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230454&d=1367871207