PDA

View Full Version : Stop eating tuna

Illhaveanother
05/30/2014, 07:55 PM
I know that this is a little off topic but seince it has to do with fish and our oceans I though I would inform you all about this epidemic. Some people are oblivious to the fact that all most all tuna species are critically endangered or endangered ! For our whole planet to work right we need to have a good balance in our ocean food chains and far to many apex predators like the tuna are being overfished each year and it will lead to our planets downfall if we don't do somthing about it. My problem is not with fisherman it's with commercial fisherman that trawl and kill off sea turtles and other things like dolphins ect. And take way more from the ocean than they need! Look at Japan !
I also have a problem with the fact that tuna are mostly caught in the Gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean Sea there 2 know breeding grounds before they are even allowed to breed leaving less and less tuna! Tuna also are one of the only predators of jellyfish . Seince there are so few tuna to eat jellyfish the Mediterranean Sea runs rampant with pest jellyfish that can sting HARD . It is ruing there tourism industry . I wrote this to get the Ideas flowing in people heads and if your intrested you can look more info up on the Internet . So next time you order that 5$ tuna sandwich at the local store don't think about how much it just cost you ,think about how much it's costing all of us!

muttley000
05/31/2014, 04:25 PM
Another terribly misspelled rant with no backup. Is English your second language?
Certainly the out of control environmental regulation agencies would have outlawed fishing for them long ago if this were true. Certainly I wouldn't be able to buy a can for .99 at Walmart if they weren't plentiful. I have read of density of the largest individuals declining, and a possible effect on future breeding stock, but hardly see anything to convince me they are critically endangered.

Illhaveanother
05/31/2014, 05:23 PM
Both the world wildlife federation and national geographic 2 very reputable organizations have recognized the tuna as endangered . Many others also recognize it as such . It is sti possible because it is very hard to regulate the catch limits. Tuna trawlers this last year couldn't even catch enough tuna to reach there minimum quota. If you ever want to eat tuna agian you'll stop eating it now. Even the national aquarium recognizes the tuna as endangerd. This is our choice . Do we want to have a healthy ocean that will help Procter our planet or a empty sick ocean that serves no service to us. It out choice and as long as we keep eating tuna and supporting the catching of it they'll catch it till its all out !

Bent
05/31/2014, 05:39 PM
If I had a video of me eating the belly out of a live tuna, this is where I would post it.

Da Maui life
05/31/2014, 06:41 PM
I can see why they are over fished. Panko Crusted Ahi Roll, yummy! Now I got Sansei Sushi Bar on my mind.

dirtycontour
05/31/2014, 06:49 PM
Tuna is good for you. Eat all the tuna!

ReefPharmer
05/31/2014, 07:05 PM
. If you ever want to eat tuna agian you'll stop eating it now.!

I dont know about the rest of your post but this one seems to make sense... right? anyone?

Fish Biscuit
05/31/2014, 07:16 PM
Why eat tuna when Chilean sea bass tastes so much better?!

Da Maui life
05/31/2014, 07:27 PM
I think the agenda is more about “ruing there tourism industry.” I’m sure the numbers bounce around but about 65% of the global tuna catch comes from the Pacific Ocean, 26% percent from the Indian Ocean, and the remaining 9 % from the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea and a lot of what is taken from Japan ends-up on yours and our markets frozen or fresh.

cunningham
05/31/2014, 07:52 PM
Why eat tuna when Chilean sea bass tastes so much better?!

You gotta try bald eagle buffalo wings!

Illhaveanother
05/31/2014, 07:56 PM
Why dosent anyone seem to care about this topic? Arnt we supposed to be a group of people who come togther and care about the oceans and how we can make them better. We insult commercial overfishing as a major part of reef destruction saying that we arnt supporting that we are supporting sustainable ornemantal fish collection. And then we turn around and betray our own beliefs. Look at the cold hard facts people not the logic this time the facts tuna are in real trouble and the more we eat them and ignore the problem the worse it will get! Sure fish is good for you but having a stable ocean ecosystems is better for ALL of us .because without the oceans we would all die! If you must eat fish just eat like aquacultured talapia or catfish or Pearch. Salmon is ok somtimes but not ALOT . Cod is bad to eat to cuz it's rare. I know fish is tasty I've ate it before
But do your part In helping all of us and practice some self control in how much you eat and what kind you eat .

Thank you

Illhaveanother
05/31/2014, 08:04 PM
Tuna is a very important fish because its circum tropical. (Migrates from tropical sea to tropical sea.) not only would we be destroying a key apex predator , but we would be killing off an apex predator that is at the top of the chain in every tropical ocean in the world! Those ecosystems will run amuck and who knows how that will affect our precious ornamental fish? The end of the tuna could be the end to ALOT of things ! It is the base of the food chain that holds the rest up if the bottom falls out the rest of the chain falls with it!

KafudaFish
05/31/2014, 08:25 PM
I believe that you are confused with the whole apex and base concept of your food chain and you need to flip it over.

The phytoplankton would be the base and the tuna would be at the top (apex).

Illhaveanother
05/31/2014, 08:30 PM
Ya your right I got those confused for a second . That still dosent weaken the message though.

mbingha
05/31/2014, 08:32 PM
Just because of this thread, I think I'm going to get a large tuna steak and sear it on the grill tomorrow. Rare with sesame seed crust. Yumm. Can't wait, thanks for the idea!

ReefingWerewolf
05/31/2014, 08:32 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but that tuna sushi 2 good though!

metro6775
05/31/2014, 08:34 PM
I haven't eaten a tuna sandwich in a few years so obviously I'm doing my part.

voyager68
05/31/2014, 08:37 PM
I know that this is a little off topic but seince it has to do with fish and our oceans I though I would inform you all about this epidemic. Some people are oblivious to the fact that all most all tuna species are critically endangered or endangered ! For our whole planet to work right we need to have a good balance in our ocean food chains and far to many apex predators like the tuna are being overfished each year and it will lead to our planets downfall if we don't do somthing about it. My problem is not with fisherman it's with commercial fisherman that trawl and kill off sea turtles and other things like dolphins ect. And take way more from the ocean than they need! Look at Japan !
I also have a problem with the fact that tuna are mostly caught in the Gulf of Mexico and the Mediterranean Sea there 2 know breeding grounds before they are even allowed to breed leaving less and less tuna! Tuna also are one of the only predators of jellyfish . Seince there are so few tuna to eat jellyfish the Mediterranean Sea runs rampant with pest jellyfish that can sting HARD . It is ruing there tourism industry . I wrote this to get the Ideas flowing in people heads and if your intrested you can look more info up on the Internet . So next time you order that 5$ tuna sandwich at the local store don't think about how much it just cost you ,think about how much it's costing all of us!

here a link for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster

Illhaveanother
05/31/2014, 08:46 PM
Just like I said before it won't be "to good to not eat " when you can't eat it because its all gone and all of are tropical ocean ecosystems have crashed. Please be serious here!

johnike
06/01/2014, 04:55 AM
So Filet-O-Fish sammich is OK then?

Fishmommy
06/01/2014, 04:57 AM
I put down my dolphin nose sammich long enough to LOL

johnike
06/01/2014, 05:08 AM
Those fit on big hot dog buns perfectly.

Fishmommy
06/01/2014, 05:09 AM
'xactly

Nina51
06/01/2014, 06:20 AM
Just like I said before it won't be "to good to not eat " when you can't eat it because its all gone

this ^ made my head spin.

don't make me push your red triangle.

i think you should change your username to ivehadtoomany.

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 06:34 AM
You know it taste soo good that if you didn't eat it you would be "crazy".

It's not my fault if you can't figure out simple English.

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 06:37 AM
Don't any of you take this seriously? And if not , why don't you?

Paul B
06/01/2014, 06:52 AM
Why dosent anyone seem to care about this topic? Arnt we supposed to be a group of people who come togther and care about the oceans and how we can make them better.

I do. Yes the spelling and grammar are not the greatest, but "I also don't do good righting". This is not a grammar or punctuation class.,$!.;?
Yes we are supposed to be a group of fair minder, intelligent people who exchange ideas so we can all learn. (some of us just come here to belittle or argue) National Geographic just did a large section of their issue speaking about the decline of tuna. Yes, there are publications that you can still learn something from without having to Google it or learn it from Lady GaGa. They are made out of paper which is the same stuff we make trees out of. Tuna are way over fished, that is a fact. There are no more large tuna, that is also a fact.
I love tuna and still eat it, especially Sushi, but I am aware of the problem.
We eat tuna because it tastes so good either fresh or canned. You can't buy canned lionfish and that is a shame because they also taste good and we have to many of them.
There is a movement to try to get people to eat more of the other types of fish that we have an abundance of along with krill. Krill are all over the place especially now that the whales are so few compared to 200 years ago when everyone hunted them. I myself practically live on seafood and have never ordered a steak in a restaurant in my life. But there are so many species that we consider trash fish mainly because they are widly scattered all over the place so it is not profitable to just catch those species. They are commonly just thrown away after being removed from the nets of tuna, flounder, cod or swordfish as there is no market for them. The stuff you are eating at fast food restaurants is pollock. It is a decent fish but not something they usually sell fresh as people don't know what to do with them. But when they deep fry it, you don't really know, or care what it is. I don't eat anything deep fried but I am glad a lot of people eat that stuff so it leaves the good food for me.
My family was in the seafood business and sometimes my Dad would bring home some sort of fish no one had seen before. Almost everything fom the sea is edible, just some people don't know how to cook. :bum:

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 07:25 AM
I agree with you almost entirely paul b. at least you don't ignore the problem at hand. I don't even mind if people eat a tiny amount of tuna as a special accasion once a year or so. my problem is people conseintitly eating it and not knowing the consquences. I also have a problem with the commercial trawl fisherman which are by no means sustainable.there are also different kinds of tuna and tuna like fish that are not in as much trouble as others that could be caught and eaten without so much ecological impact. also as long as not to much is taken. I don't mind people pole fishing as lo0ng as they don't take to much ethier.

johnike
06/01/2014, 07:41 AM
Whew, I'm good then.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/john_eichwedel/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/007-29.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/john_eichwedel/media/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/007-29.jpg.html)

mbingha
06/01/2014, 07:56 AM

Pot, meet kettle. ;)

billsreef
06/01/2014, 08:18 AM

The problem people are having with your "simple English" is that it tends to be somewhat disjointed and often with plenty of misspellings that do make it troublesome for many to decipher your meanings...even those of us that aren't the grammar police.

There is a movement to try to get people to eat more of the other types of fish that we have an abundance of along with krill.

Problem with the krill "movement" is palatablity. Absolute worst smelling thing I've come across is fresh krill on the deck. If you think that freeze dried stuff at the LFS smells bad, fresh is a hundred times worse. Though despite the stench, lots of cool things can be found while sorting through the krill.

there are also different kinds of tuna and tuna like fish that are not in as much trouble as others that could be caught and eaten without so much ecological impact.

For discussions like this it pays to be very specific about what species and what stocks your talking about. The Tuna found in a can on the shelf of the grocery store in the US is not Bluefin, it's albacore which is a better managed fishery and also considered "dolphin" safe.

johnike
06/01/2014, 08:22 AM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn315/VisualArtStar/tuna4.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/VisualArtStar/media/tuna4.jpg.html)

Nina51
06/01/2014, 08:38 AM
Whew, I'm good then.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/john_eichwedel/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/007-29.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/john_eichwedel/media/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/007-29.jpg.html)

i shall assume you have that bad boy and many others in your freezer awaiting a trip to MA??

SeedlessOne
06/01/2014, 08:42 AM

Now this is funny...

Your "simple English" is completely butchered. And I' m far from the grammar police.

johnike
06/01/2014, 08:43 AM
i shall assume you have that bad boy and many others in your freezer awaiting a trip to MA??

As usual.
:wave:

sc50964
06/01/2014, 09:00 AM
Despite the grammar and spelling errors, illhaveanother does have a point. Let's put all the joking aside and applaud his effort.

johnike
06/01/2014, 09:43 AM
Despite the grammar and spelling errors, illhaveanother does have a point.

And if he keeps his hat on, nobody will see it.
:bdaysmile:

SeedlessOne
06/01/2014, 10:42 AM
Despite the grammar and spelling errors, illhaveanother does have a point. Let's put all the joking aside and applaud his effort.

Ive yet to see any hard facts presented.

Paul B
06/01/2014, 11:00 AM
John, whats that? Bait!

Bill, I didn't say I was going to eat it. But I do take krill oil pills every day and I think that is why I am afraid of whales and penguins.
I wonder what amphipods taste like?

billsreef
06/01/2014, 11:14 AM
I wonder what amphipods taste like?

You'll have to let us know :D

sniceley
06/01/2014, 11:14 AM
Sorry no hard facts for you. Honestly don't have the time to find them and put them up, have enough on my plate with my own PhD research at the moment.

I have however read a few scientific publications on the issue. As stated earlier canned tuna is typically not blue or yellow fin, it is albacore or another smaller species. These tend to have a faster life cycle and reproduce at younger ages and smaller sizes. Much more sustainable currently. The big species (yellow and blue fin) are relatively long lived fish which take 5 years or more to begin reproducing. As with most fish the larger they get the more offspring they produce per season, so one large mature female may produce as many eggs as 3 or more smaller females. For a species that lives 50 years or more taking small reproductive fish out of the population takes away a lot of breeding potential for the species.

At the current fishing pressures and decreasing sizes of caught fish we are getting dangerously close to harvesting fish prior to breeding sizes for these two species. Since both species migrate and live in international waters most of their lives this is a difficult fisher to manage. Farming efforts are now underway but this opens up a whole other list of environmental issues, most importantly the over harvesting of sardines and anchovies to feed the caged tuna. They dump much more in to the cage than the tuna would ever find on their own, which grows the tuna faster and makes them fattier (worth more) but also much of the food fish are wasted as they fall through the cages uneaten.

Swordfish and marlins are in the same boat as well unfortunately, no pun intended. All of these macro predators are getting to the point of over harvesting if they are not already well beyond it.

I have enjoy fish as much as the next person. Do I eat tuna at times, yes. Sushi and tuna steaks are something I enjoy from time to time, but not as a staple to my diet. My staple seafoods are highly sustainable invertebrates like shrimp and crabs as well as farmed fish like tilapia, catfish, and salmon.

Unlike the OP I will not say that we need to stop eating them all together. But I do agree that those in this hobby should be mass aware of the issues that some fish are facing. We may ultimately make the same decisions when purchasing our food or our fish's food, but at least we will make informed decisions.

sc50964
06/01/2014, 11:26 AM
Ive yet to see any hard facts presented.

Don't know what hard facts you are looking for. Are you looking for exact numbers? In any case, there are plenty of info online that argues both ways. I'm sure you can find it. IMO, I would rather error on the safe side on this particular topic and eat less bluefin tuna, since there are plenty of other food fish to eat.

Bent
06/01/2014, 11:32 AM
there are plenty of info online that argues both ways.

Numbers can't go both ways unless one set is false.

sc50964
06/01/2014, 11:37 AM
Numbers can't go both ways unless one set is false.

Do you know which one is right? I doubt it.

Paul B
06/01/2014, 11:44 AM
You'll have to let us know

It is so hard to get those dam amphipods on the skewer.
I eat a lot of these. Self sustaining oysters and they grow and harvest plenty of them right near my home (and where Bill used to live) They just seesed New York Harbor with millions of oysters to try to clean up the water. They used to be so common in New York Harbor that at low tide they would look like Islands. They won't eat the oysters from there because that would be just nasty. I wish we had tuna there, but unfortunately the largest fish population there are eels. Eels taste pretty good but almost no one eats them because they don't look like tuna. So if they could genetically engineer eels to look like tuna, they would have something. Then again if they could genitically engineer eels to look like tuna, they could engineer me to look like Tom Sellick.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/2012-01-07010855_zpsc6e33849.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2012-01-07010855_zpsc6e33849.jpg.html)

gone fishin
06/01/2014, 11:45 AM
Upon much consideration and reflection I have decided to continue to eat tuna steaks, swordfish steaks, sea bass, king crab legs, shrimp and lobsters.

Maybe if there was not so many people, but alas the UA prevents me from discussing any further.

snorvich
06/01/2014, 12:16 PM
IMO, I would rather error on the safe side on this particular topic and eat less bluefin tuna, since there are plenty of other food fish to eat.

When did you last eat bluefin tuna? Where?

sc50964
06/01/2014, 12:25 PM
When did you last eat bluefin tuna? Where?

Why is question relevant to the thread? Seems pointless to me.

johnike
06/01/2014, 12:28 PM
John, whats that? Bait?

Zis better?
:wavehand:
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/john_eichwedel/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/bigbass.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/john_eichwedel/media/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/bigbass.jpg.html)

DgenR8
06/01/2014, 12:41 PM
Zis better?
:wavehand:
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/john_eichwedel/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/bigbass.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/john_eichwedel/media/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/bigbass.jpg.html)

You're not gonna eat that thing, are you??? It's all dirty, and do you know what fish do in the water that came out of??

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 12:43 PM
What do you mean if I keep my hat on?

Bent
06/01/2014, 12:44 PM
Do you know which one is right? I doubt it.

Only opinion and subjection can go both ways sir. Numbers are evidence.

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 12:47 PM
Thank you snicely I agree with you and agree with most of the info you posted . I will put up links when I get a chance.

johnike
06/01/2014, 12:48 PM
What do you mean if I keep my hat on?

Sorry, my humor tends to go over peoples' heads on occasion.

johnike
06/01/2014, 12:49 PM
I crack myself up sometimes.

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 12:54 PM
Nice fish you caught there . If that's clean water you ought to eat that bass.

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 12:57 PM
So those of you who think its ok to eat fish like tuna , why do you think it's ok?

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 12:58 PM
Is it just my bad speeling?

Lol I did that one on purpose.

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 12:58 PM
But for real now let me know why you think it's ok . You can learn somthing from everybody so ......

Illhaveanother
06/01/2014, 01:00 PM
Also wanted to let you know I do ALOT of posting from my iPhone 4 so it's hard to spell right and respond fast and everything but eventually ill make an effort to get better with the grammar.

johnike
06/01/2014, 01:03 PM
Nice fish you caught there . If that's clean water you ought to eat that bass.

Water is pristine.
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p361/john_eichwedel/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/010-4.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/john_eichwedel/media/Hunting%20fishing%20shooting/010-4.jpg.html)
We throw big Bass like that back after kissing them and telling them to get bigger.

johnike
06/01/2014, 01:04 PM
And quit looking at my sister in that picture.

snorvich
06/01/2014, 01:16 PM
Why is question relevant to the thread? Seems pointless to me.

Well the OP was posting about BlueFin tuna and you said you would eat less of it. So it does seem to be on point as other types of tuna are not in the same boat (could not help myself here)

snorvich
06/01/2014, 01:17 PM
And quit looking at my sister in that picture.

Why?

syrinx
06/01/2014, 01:19 PM
I think it is okay to eat tuna- because we are the apex predator. I have no issue with evolution, or the eventual changes in the earth that cause the extinction of man. Once the tuna are gone, something else will fill its place. The same is true of corals- if ocean becomes more acid and some species of coral die off- then other organisms will thrive in the new parameters. That just the way the world turns. The earth has done fine without dinosaurs, it will do fine without tuna, and it will do fine without man.

snorvich
06/01/2014, 01:22 PM
I think it is okay to eat tuna- because we are the apex predator. I have no issue with evolution, or the eventual changes in the earth that cause the extinction of man. Once the tuna are gone, something else will fill its place. The same is true of corals- if ocean becomes more acid and some species of coral die off- then other organisms will thrive in the new parameters. That just the way the world turns. The earth has done fine without dinosaurs, it will do fine without tuna, and it will do fine without man.

Well . . . of course we could clone them. :beer:

johnike
06/01/2014, 01:25 PM
Why?

You can look, Steve.
:beer:

sc50964
06/01/2014, 01:34 PM
Well the OP was posting about BlueFin tuna and you said you would eat less of it. So it does seem to be on point as other types of tuna are not in the same boat (could not help myself here)

What are you talking about? The OP's post is about all species of tuna. My point and posting was specific to only bluefin tuna. Where and when I last ate bluefin is irrelevant to this thread and none of your biz.

snorvich
06/01/2014, 01:41 PM
What are you talking about? The OP's post is about all species of tuna. My point and posting was specific to only bluefin tuna. Where and when I last ate bluefin is irrelevant to this thread and none of your biz.

If the original poster was posting about all species of tuna, then he was factually wrong. I asked you since you said you were going to decrease eating it where you had it since it is not readily available here.

ReefingWerewolf
06/01/2014, 01:49 PM
This thread has become totally ridiculous...

P.S. if you cant spell well there is this thing called spell check :)

snorvich
06/01/2014, 01:51 PM

But it is something to do on a Sunday Afternoon with no hockey.

johnike
06/01/2014, 02:00 PM
But it is something to do on a Sunday Afternoon with no hockey.

Hockey starts shortly, GO HAWKS!!

snorvich
06/01/2014, 02:12 PM
Hockey starts shortly, GO HAWKS!!

right. 7PM. At which point I will stop looking at your sister.

Paul B
06/01/2014, 02:19 PM
Zis better?
I am not used to freshwater fish except goldfish like I have in my pond.
What is that a large mouth Bass?
We catch mostly fluke, stripped bass and bluefish here in New York. I think stripped bass have to be 36" or something like that and I am not sure about fluke, Maybe 22" but I could be wrong. The last freshwater fish I caught was a bass. I ate it but I wasn't crazy about it.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/Montauk009.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/Montauk009.jpg.html)

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/IMG_0584.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/IMG_0584.jpg.html)

sc50964
06/01/2014, 02:22 PM

Too bad I think you are right. There are too many ppl posting coz they got nothing better to do and have nothing to contribute to the posting. Worse yet, some of them don't even read the original posting.

ReefingWerewolf
06/01/2014, 02:26 PM
Too bad I think you are right. There are too many ppl posting coz they got nothing better to do and have nothing to contribute to the posting. Worse yet, some of them don't even read the original posting.

Lol, I cant say im above them, I am currently laying on my bed in the middle of the day with my blinds closed looking through everything on the new posts section cuz I got nothing better to do (homework will have to wait.)

johnike
06/01/2014, 04:21 PM
Yes Paul, that is a Largemouth Bass. We send most of those back as like you say, they just don't have much taste. They're more of a fighting catch and release fish. I prefer Crappies and Bluegills, you can cook them without deep frying, you'd enjoy them. I could send you a batch of delicious frozen panfish fillets if you'd like.

Sk8r
06/01/2014, 04:40 PM
While we do love fish and value ecology, this is the lounge. Please go a little more slowly and accept that we do care, but this is not a place for stirring up passions about issues on which we may have varying and fairly well-based opinions.