PDA

View Full Version : Swimming fish

ttam
06/01/2014, 03:11 PM
Looking for a swimming fish for my 45 gallon mixed reef already have clown pair and a pink margin fairy wrasse. Thinks of some kind of anthias or something along those lines

DavidinGA
06/01/2014, 03:15 PM
Tiny little blue hippo is what I would add.

rompininphx
06/01/2014, 06:08 PM
Blue hippo shouldn't be in a tank that size even if its tiny

DavidinGA
06/01/2014, 06:10 PM

You can get 1in hippos that would be fine in that tank for a couple years...

rompininphx
06/01/2014, 06:10 PM
Id add a dwarf angel personally. Flames or coral beauty's are 2 of my favs but can be hit or miss with nipping on corals

Dmorty217
06/01/2014, 06:40 PM

+1 bad idea on the hippo or any tang or large angel for starters, and a 1 inch tang quickly becomes a large tang 8inches+ Anyone saying otherwise had a hippo with worms that was never treated or one that was stressed in a tank which equals slow to no growth. Look into wrasse, fairy and flashers but make sure you have a tight fitting lid or screen top

campos
06/01/2014, 10:55 PM
Tiny little blue hippo is what I would add.

Horrible suggestion. That fish needs a large tank 150 gallon plus

accordsirh22
06/02/2014, 12:41 AM
You can get 1in hippos that would be fine in that tank for a couple years...

you are what's wrong with this hobby

DavidinGA
06/02/2014, 06:57 PM

Wow you managed to beat a million others to the egg and wound up here huh? Aren't we all fortunate...

AuburnTiger1
06/09/2014, 10:04 AM
what about a couple of green chromis or a dwarf angel?

igot2gats
06/09/2014, 10:31 AM
+1 for not adding a Blue Hippo. I don't see a purpose in adding a fish that you'll eventually need to remove.

My vote is a Longnose Hawkfish, or a Midas Blenny.

mets17127
06/09/2014, 10:36 AM
Foxface?

AuburnTiger1
06/09/2014, 10:50 AM
A couple of fire fish would be pretty cool too

Bent
06/09/2014, 11:00 AM
I would vote against the fox face. Most can probably get too big for that size tank.
I might also disagree with the long nose hawk. They are cool fish, but I dunno if I would label them active swimmers. At least not the ones I saw.

If I would weigh in on this I would say:
Damsels are great active fish if you can get past the attitude.
Black cap basslets, and most basslets in general are active fish.
There are some specific species of box fish that are small enough to live in a 45 and usually boxies are active.
Fuzzy dwarf lions are full of personality.
Puffers are always fun. Saddle Valentinis are small enough for a 45g. As well as a few others.

ttam
06/09/2014, 12:30 PM
I would vote against the fox face. Most can probably get too big for that size tank.
I might also disagree with the long nose hawk. They are cool fish, but I dunno if I would label them active swimmers. At least not the ones I saw.

If I would weigh in on this I would say:
Damsels are great active fish if you can get past the attitude.
Black cap basslets, and most basslets in general are active fish.
There are some specific species of box fish that are small enough to live in a 45 and usually boxies are active.
Fuzzy dwarf lions are full of personality.
Puffers are always fun. Saddle Valentinis are small enough for a 45g. As well as a few others.

What box fish could fit? All I know of grow to 10".

ttam
06/09/2014, 03:59 PM
How would a trio of anthias fare?

small alien
06/09/2014, 04:51 PM
What are the dimensions of the tank? If it's a cube, then that's a small tank. Not so much in terms of bioload, but swimming space. I don't think any kind or number of anthias would be appropriate. Bent had some interesting ideas. I'd skip the box. And the puffer would add a lot of bioload but would be cool. I'd consider a yellowtail damsel.

Bent
06/09/2014, 06:05 PM
What box fish could fit? All I know of grow to 10".

I can't remember the species. But I know for a fact there is a box that only gets about 6"

Edit:
I THINK the common name is the reticulate box fish. Trying to find the actual name.

Edit 2:
Found him:
http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=1&cid=13&pid=424

Edit 3:
The Whitley's box fish was actually who I was thinking of. 6" max size.
ostracion whitleyi

nothingfishy
06/09/2014, 06:15 PM

False. If that is the case, that why is it okay for an lfs, even a reputable one, to put several small hippos in 15 gallon display tank?

I know of a few places who took advantage of push sales, and have had small hippos in 15 gallon display tanks for nearly a year. Double standard, eh?

To me, yes it is not wise to stick a potentially large fish in a small tank. However, there is such a difference when one understands, that once the fish starts to put on size, they need to be moved asap to appropriate tank. To me, that is a better plan, to say get a hippo in a marginally acceptable tank, such as a 125, for good.

I often will buy small tangs, which are too small for my 150, raise them in my 60, and then transfer them over. Much better that was than to throw a small fish in with some big wolves. just my two cents.

ttam
06/10/2014, 10:04 AM
What about an Atlantic longnose butterfly fish on LA it's says a maximum size of 4"

Keoki18
06/10/2014, 10:22 AM
The problem with suggesting a hippo for this tank is that I am assuming this is the last tank it will be in. This was the proposed question, and anyone answering that it is a bad idea in adding one is correct.

Add a flame angel or fairy warsse. Anthias are nice too, but understand that they need to eat a fair amount of food everyday to stay healthy. Some species can grow too large as well.

footballdude2k3
06/10/2014, 02:07 PM
I would put in a flame hawkfish, maybe two, tons of personality. Be careful if you have shrimp though.

Dmorty217
06/10/2014, 04:04 PM
False. If that is the case, that why is it okay for an lfs, even a reputable one, to put several small hippos in 15 gallon display tank?

I know of a few places who took advantage of push sales, and have had small hippos in 15 gallon display tanks for nearly a year. Double standard, eh

What LFS are you talking about? No reputable place would do this period and I have never seen this, not even in the really poor LFS that are near where I live.
LFS are in the business of selling fish not housing them long term, and most except for the stores that have knowledgable staff and care about fish will try and push any fish regardless of mature max size and tank size. The person who suggested the tiny hippo for a 75g is not someone I would take suggestions from, since he clearly is misinformed. Not everyone has several tanks up and running to grow tangs out in and transfer to a bigger tank. Hence why it isn't a good practice to preach to the average aquarist

Dmorty217
06/10/2014, 04:06 PM
What about an Atlantic longnose butterfly fish on LA it's says a maximum size of 4"

These are much like copper banded butterflies and can be difficult transitioning to prepared foods. They are easier than he CBB but none the less can still be difficult

ttam
06/10/2014, 04:59 PM
These are much like copper banded butterflies and can be difficult transitioning to prepared foods. They are easier than he CBB but none the less can still be difficult

Would he a be concern in a mixed reef with lps and sps?

Dmorty217
06/10/2014, 08:05 PM
Would he a be concern in a mixed reef with lps and sps?

This isn't easily answered, I could get one and you get one and yours will be reef safe and mine won't be. With that said, the size of their mouth will make it difficult for it to destroy a LPS in a short amount of time and I think your SPS will be fine

Triggerfish
06/12/2014, 09:44 AM
Looking for a swimming fish for my 45 gallon mixed reef

yellow coris, leopard wrasse.

nothingfishy
06/13/2014, 03:20 PM
What LFS are you talking about? No reputable place would do this period and I have never seen this, not even in the really poor LFS that are near where I live.
LFS are in the business of selling fish not housing them long term, and most except for the stores that have knowledgable staff and care about fish will try and push any fish regardless of mature max size and tank size. The person who suggested the tiny hippo for a 75g is not someone I would take suggestions from, since he clearly is misinformed. Not everyone has several tanks up and running to grow tangs out in and transfer to a bigger tank. Hence why it isn't a good practice to preach to the average aquarist

I am not going to name drop anybody, especially on a public forum. I live in new jersey, about a half hour west of Manhattan, and I can find a handful of stores, who keep tangs in small tanks. Yes they are in the business of of moving fish, but some of these stores date the fishes arrival on the tank, and sometimes it is a year before they sell.

I understand that if this is the last tank the fish will be in, the answer should be no. However, most people in this hobby, upgrade, to a larger tank. At least the people I have dealt with.

My gf right now put a 1 inch chevron in her 29 biocube. Once it attains a size of 3 inches, it is going into my 150. I like to believe people are generally good, and will look out for their animals. I can not tell you have many people I have seen, put yellow tangs in a 20 gallon tank, with no backup plan or upgrade. To me, the more responsible people we have that do this, and upgrade, the less fish fall into the hands of people who have no intentions of getting something bigger.

Dmorty217
06/13/2014, 04:11 PM
I am not going to name drop anybody, especially on a public forum. I live in new jersey, about a half hour west of Manhattan, and I can find a handful of stores, who keep tangs in small tanks. Yes they are in the business of of moving fish, but some of these stores date the fishes arrival on the tank, and sometimes it is a year before they sell.

I understand that if this is the last tank the fish will be in, the answer should be no. However, most people in this hobby, upgrade, to a larger tank. At least the people I have dealt with.

My gf right now put a 1 inch chevron in her 29 biocube. Once it attains a size of 3 inches, it is going into my 150. I like to believe people are generally good, and will look out for their animals. I can not tell you have many people I have seen, put yellow tangs in a 20 gallon tank, with no backup plan or upgrade. To me, the more responsible people we have that do this, and upgrade, the less fish fall into the hands of people who have no intentions of getting something bigger.

The problem is you generally believe people are good, unfortunately this isn't the case. Overall I agree with what you are saying and YOU are doing the right thing, but most others get on here start and tank and then loose interest. When a hobby is measured in months and yrs and not days and wks you can see were this becomes a problem:)