PDA

View Full Version : Getting clam off a rock

pledosophy
06/02/2014, 11:10 AM
Getting ready to move, fun right moving 400g of water :D

I have a clam that is attached to a rather larger 60lbs or so piece of rock. Wedged into a little crevice pretty good.

Any ideas on how to get him out?

The rock is far to big to move in water.

Thanks

DiscusHeckel
06/02/2014, 11:49 AM
I would get a very sharp blades (similar to surgeons use) or razor blades (the ones we use for shaving). Next, tilt the clam very gently on its side. Then, cut its byssal threads as close to the rock as possible. Finally, repeat the previous step by tilting the clam on its the other side.

I hope this helps.

droth335
06/02/2014, 07:34 PM
I would get a very sharp blades (similar to surgeons use) or razor blades (the ones we use for shaving). Next, tilt the clam very gently on its side. Then, cut its byssal threads as close to the rock as possible. Finally, repeat the previous step by tilting the clam on its the other side.

I hope this helps.

This is exactly what I've done and works great.

moliken
06/03/2014, 04:54 AM
usually the second tilt isn't needed. make sure not to pull the clam. the cut should feel right, smooth, easy

SantaMonica
06/07/2014, 07:22 PM
I always though any cuts at all are very damaging. Maybe if there is a few days lead time, you can shade the clam and he'll let go.

moliken
06/08/2014, 06:09 AM
cutting the threads is not harmful at all, like cutting fingernails. clams can release them if they want -- no damage.