PDA

View Full Version : BeanAnimal Overflow Help

chase888
06/02/2014, 11:45 AM
Hello All,

I have a external overflow box (35"Lx6"Wx13"T) with 3 - 2" bulkheads. I like to setup a BeanAnimal overflow.

Few questions:
1. Should I keep the standpipes at 2" or reduce it to 1.5"?
2. How tall should each of the standpipe be?
3. Could I feed all 3 standpipe to a single pipe before it enter into sump?

Thanks!

uncleof6
06/02/2014, 11:56 AM
Hello All,

I have a external overflow box (35"Lx6"Wx13"T) with 3 - 2" bulkheads. I like to setup a BeanAnimal overflow.

Few questions:
1. Should I keep the standpipes at 2" or reduce it to 1.5"?
2. How tall should each of the standpipe be?
3. Could I feed all 3 standpipe to a single pipe before it enter into sump?

Thanks!

1) If you are planning 3500 gph - 5000 gph + then yes keep them at 2"; if planning 1500 gph - 3500 gph, reduce them to 1.5"; < 1500 gph, reduce to 1".

2) Top of the elbows should be 1" below the top of the overflow, or the edge where the water enters the overflow. Use measuring devices to figure it out.

3) No. This will defeat the purpose of the system and turn it into a large durso standpipe.

chase888
07/09/2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks Uncleof6!

One more follow up question.

>2) Top of the elbows should be 1" below the top of the overflow, or the edge where >the water enters the overflow. Use measuring devices to figure it out.

Could the top of the elbows be 2 to 3 inches below the edge where the water enters the overflow? What is the optimal height?

Thanks!

uncleof6
07/10/2014, 12:48 AM
Thanks Uncleof6!

>2) Top of the elbows should be 1" below the top of the overflow, or the edge where >the water enters the overflow. Use measuring devices to figure it out.

Could the top of the elbows be 2 to 3 inches below the edge where the water enters the overflow? What is the optimal height?

Thanks!

Can be as far down as you wish. However, the further the drop into the overflow, the louder it will become... Assuming a flat weir (no teeth) 1" down is optimal. Less would crowd the upper end towards floodville...with teeth, 1" down from the bottom of the channels between the teeth (effective height of the weir.) Don't recommend using teeth, they accomplish nothing, and make the overflow louder due to water channeling, and reduce the effective length of the overflow by 1/2 - 2/3...reducing the surface skimming efficiency...

woodnaquanut
07/10/2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks Uncleof6!

Thanks!

The possible issues with a longer drop is noise and introduction of more bubbles which also means more noise.

The one inch drop gives enough head room for a siphon to start but is not so far to introduce more bubbles/noise.