PDA

View Full Version : Glass tank storage

kenghmoob
06/02/2014, 12:33 PM
Currently, I have a 180 Gallon tank that will be offline for 5-6 months. Can I leave the tank outside in the elements? I live in Central California where summers can exceed 100 degrees and I just want to make sure that the heat will not excessively dry the silicon to the point of jeopardizing the integrity of it. I am aware that all tanks sit dry for a while before being filled with water so I'm assuming that it'll be okay. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

DrBoxedWine
06/02/2014, 03:04 PM
I'm curious to see replies here. I would not be comfortable with that, especially with such a large and probably pricey tank. I'd also be concerned about temperature fluctuations.

I bought a 75g that had sat in a guy's garage for a year or 2. Granted there are million variables, but it broke after about a year. After that, I won't even consider a tank that's been sitting out of the house for an extended period of time. I should mention here that I live in Denver, and over the course of a year we'll see temps dip down to the -10 range and all the way up to 103 or so at the hottest. So that tank was exposed to the extremes, and probably 30 degree swings on a daily basis.

However, I don't really know what i'm talking about here, so i look forward to other's replies.

billsreef
06/02/2014, 05:37 PM
Outside in the elements will degrade the silicone seals. Weathering isn't good for anything left sitting outside ;)

Gorgok
06/02/2014, 07:17 PM
I had a small tank sitting outside... Then it rained a bit (creek rose into the yard). Pane facing the sky broke from the water hitting it. Granted it was only a 10g, but i thought i was pretty amazing.

billdogg
06/04/2014, 03:05 PM
If you can put it under some sort of cover it should be fine. I stored my 150 for about 7 years in the garage, on end, using it as a storage container for all my garden tools. In the summer, temps easily hit 120 in the closed garage, in the winter they can get down to about 0. When it was time to put it back in service, I washed it out, did a leak test, and filled it up. It was ~10 years old when it went into storage, and has been running for ab out 6 now without issue.

kenghmoob
06/05/2014, 12:08 AM
Thx for all the replies. It will be under an awning so it will be in the shade. Anyone else want to share?!

codyreed29
06/13/2014, 08:28 PM
I think a couple tubes of silicone is only 20 bucks max. I got a 100 gallon free off craigslist.com I have it sitting in storage has been there a while in a garage I am going to resilicone the whole thing. I think you should do so after ten years or so.

andrewkw
06/13/2014, 09:36 PM
Miracles is having a scratch and dent sale. While I didn't check it out, I did hear all the tanks they are selling were left outside over the winter. I'm assuming the winter would be worse then the summer.

ucdcrew
06/13/2014, 11:27 PM
Are you going to be there and its just offline? Or are you going elsewhere?

kenghmoob
06/20/2014, 09:32 AM
Right now, I'm getting a house built. Ended up selling the current house so I had to break down my tank. Currently, it is at my brother's house under an awning with no direct sun contact.

ca1ore
06/21/2014, 02:12 PM
The one thing to avoid, above all else, is allowing a tank to fill partly with water and the freeze. That will blow out a panel in no time.

LeslieP
06/26/2014, 10:02 AM
I bought a never used 55 from a guy at work. It had been sitting empty in his living room for several years. I put my first gallon of water in it, and it immediately seeped out the bottom. I would be very careful about checking for leaks when you decide to fill it back up.

andex23
07/03/2014, 02:13 PM
agree that the silicone is not designed for sunlight. yellowing and degradation have been my results.