PDA

View Full Version : Spider web like stuff?

mfaso24
06/03/2014, 10:49 AM
Hey everyone, so I'm in the nitrite spike portion of my cycle. My tank is pretty much covered in diatoms at this point. Recently I noticed one spot on the sand bed where, when viewed from a low angle, looks almost like a spider web swaying in the current. What on earth is this? Is this cyano or something? I would upload a picture but you won't even be able to see it regardless.

intyme
06/03/2014, 11:54 AM
Possibly a feather duster?

whosurcaddie
06/03/2014, 12:17 PM
Could be vermetid snails. They spin a web like substance.

mfaso24
06/03/2014, 12:27 PM
Could be vermetid snails. They spin a web like substance.

What is that? I've never heard of those. Something to be worried about?

CleverD
06/03/2014, 12:35 PM
Could be worms in the sand. I know I went to my lfs and bought rock and they had these tube worms on them and they made a web.

bobpiker
06/03/2014, 01:02 PM
If you could find where they begin you'll likely see a hard, wormlike structure. I believe its likely vermatid. I've got a couple of these in my tank. They don't hurt anything and help to "net" particles floating in your water column.

mfaso24
06/03/2014, 01:14 PM
If you could find where they begin you'll likely see a hard, wormlike structure. I believe its likely vermatid. I've got a couple of these in my tank. They don't hurt anything and help to "net" particles floating in your water column.

Well at least there not harmful. I've read that they can become a pest if/when they reproduce like crazy. Anyways, I haven't seen tubes or worm sticking out from anywhere. Matter of fact, I haven't seen a single hitchhiker from my live rock yet!