PDA

View Full Version : DIY help

DJ_Kelley
06/03/2014, 05:16 PM
I'm trying to make an overflow box for the corners of a tank. I always see these ones that is in this one:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2151887&highlight=nano+reef&page=2

Anyone have any help for me on this one?

Stbobo
06/03/2014, 07:27 PM
Acrylic, silicone and a router.

Without a router you're going to be drilling a lot of holes and cutting/sanding to get the same look. Essentially just drawing out your shape on a piece of thick acrylic and then drilling a similar sized hole over and over to get the majority of the material out. Then cutting and sanding to smooth it out and remove the remainder.

DJ_Kelley
06/04/2014, 04:40 PM
I'll give it a shot. What do i do for the black acrylic?

Stbobo
06/04/2014, 05:39 PM
Was looking online for "plans" but have had a hard time finding any. Essentially map out the space you want to have as your overflow with the space for exit and return bulkheads. Once you have the measurements (length and height of the individual pieces), you need to get some acrylic. Black acrylic seems to be a favorite. You can buy this online. I would use something around 1/4 an inch thick.

Once receiving, you need to cut the acrylic down to size into rectangles that would fit together to form the dimensions you were looking for. Draw out the fins along the top, more or less, the water flow will differ. Most fins tend to be roughly less than 1/4 an inch. drill out holes roughly this size and then sand/cut out the rest.

Silicone together and in place. Just a warning, after making my own sump, acrylic does not bond well to glass. You have to use quite a bit of silicone. Might not look pristine, but it does work.

Stbobo
06/04/2014, 05:53 PM
Here is a link specified to helping people with acrylic fabrication. Im sure they would have a little more of an informative answer!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056956

Bent
06/04/2014, 05:54 PM
Are u doing acrylic to glass?

DJ_Kelley
06/05/2014, 02:03 AM
The tank is going to be glass, but i'm going to use acrylic for the overflow

shifty51008
06/05/2014, 08:00 AM
you can order black acrylic off ebay, you will want some weld-on 16 or 4 to glue the acrylic box then use silicon to attach it to the glass tank.