PDA

View Full Version : Haddoni tank

Allmost
06/04/2014, 09:38 AM
Hello all,

Need advice on lighting for a anemone tank.

there will be haddoni's on the sand bed, tank is 2x2x2.

right now there are some BTA and soft corals in there, with 3 T5s.

what LED lighting do you guys recommend to supplement the 3 T5s ?

secondly, what dept sand bed ? right now there is 1" crushed corals there as sand ... can I place a PVC tube with sand in it for the anemone ?

need opinions here on how to convert it to a haddoni tank ... so if anyone has pics or info to share I would be grateful.

Kaman8
06/04/2014, 11:17 AM
Is it not a little small for haddoni , bta and soft corals 2x2x2 :confused:

I think you wrote the dimension wrong :hmm2:

Allmost
06/04/2014, 11:18 AM
no its not, its connected to a 200 G as well ...

thanks for the great help though ... your comment was very useful for me and anyone else reading these threads lol

Yuri Barros
06/05/2014, 04:19 AM
350 micromols of PAR reading...........just above the substrate is good........

The saturation point starts at 400 micromols..........and this is better to be avoided...........

Less than 350...............such 200 or 100 micromols..........seems to be insuficient..........

The Light source doesn´t matter..............if it is T5.........LED......or MH.......

The most important is the PAR reading............

You can choose a good Light set up.............and tunning it at right PAR......

Daniel62
06/05/2014, 05:04 PM
I use Maxspec razors on my tank. I run a DS 6". I am not a fan of the sand filled pipe. My reason for this is, that unless you get really lucky and put the pipe in exactly the right place, the nem will have to choose between the right flow/light spot and where the sand is. I have seen people keep them in as little a 1" beds, but most would probably say 3" min.
I have had to move mine, and believe me that foot was attached to the glass 6" down. I wonder just how far they would go to plant their column? Also, from time to time, mine will pull all the way into the sand, I am not sure why they do this, but I think that with only a 1" bed this would not be an option for them. maybe they need a really deep sand bed to spawn, I would really like to see that happen in my tank. They also like really light flow.

Big time fish eaters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, these are my Fav. nems:)

Allmost
06/06/2014, 10:17 AM
350 micromols of PAR reading...........just above the substrate is good........

The saturation point starts at 400 micromols..........and this is better to be avoided...........

Less than 350...............such 200 or 100 micromols..........seems to be insuficient..........

The Light source doesn´t matter..............if it is T5.........LED......or MH.......

The most important is the PAR reading............

You can choose a good Light set up.............and tunning it at right PAR......

thank you, thats really helpful, I get about 150with current set up. think adding some LEDs would be good option.

Irishdolphin
06/06/2014, 11:05 AM
Guys,

Does this mean that without a PAR meter it's just speculation on whether your lighting is enough and you can't say with any real certainty that X number of T5's is sufficient for a 2 foot deep tank, for example?

DasCamel
06/06/2014, 11:11 AM
Guys,

Does this mean that without a PAR meter it's just speculation on whether your lighting is enough and you can't say with any real certainty that X number of T5's is sufficient for a 2 foot deep tank, for example?

Million dollar question. You can make a reasonable estimation based on the equipment, but in some cases it will be very wrong. Factors like setup, angle, depth, overlap, water clarity, rock work setup, age of bulbs, all introduce margin of error.

That being said, a good PAR meter is fairly expensive. Ideal case, borrow one?

Allmost
06/06/2014, 11:15 AM
in regular tanks, you put low light demanding corals at the bottom and high light on top.

since this anemone lives on the sand, and can not move onto rocks to get closer to the lights, I am trying to make sure it has its optimal lighting at the sand bed level. to not burn it or give it low light, for it to get stressed and start moving around.

Reefahholic
06/06/2014, 07:55 PM
If my Nems look happy...then my lights are sufficient. :-)

clorox
06/06/2014, 08:08 PM
if my nems look happy...then my lights are sufficient. :-)

+1