PDA

View Full Version : Excessive microbubble production or standard break in? (Cadlights PLS-50)

SonRK
06/04/2014, 04:39 PM
Hey guys,

I posted this on nano-reef but I wanted to ask your opinion on this forum as well.

Installed a Cad Lights PLS-50 in a Innovative Marine 30L tank two days ago and I have all these microbubbles in my display now.

http://i.imgur.com/LJDiMnQ.jpg

Just wanted to know if this is, for the most part, what people experience before their skimmers break in.

I know you can add some filter so they don't go in anymore if you wanted to minimize the ugliness. I'm okay with not wasting filter floss if I don't have to, and just waiting for it to naturally go away :P

Additionally, since I have a quarantine tank, would it be possible to set it up there and break that in with Display Tank water, etc. so I don't have to do it through the Display tank?

SonRK
06/08/2014, 03:21 PM
A Bump,

I showed the same picture to Cad Lights and they said:

"The break-in period of the skimmer is generally about 14 running days,
after that the skimmer calms down. New pumps often need a length of time
before they run smoothly, this is pretty much the case."

So it's been up for 6 days and still pretty much the same, hopefully it calms down soon. The skimming has been pretty decent though it seems.

Is it inadvisable to put filter floss in that chamber so it stops going into the return pump for now, or should I just continue waiting it out?

SonRK
06/20/2014, 11:47 PM
Almost 2 week bump.

The micro bubbles are stil there... Lots

The skimmer skims nice darker stuff now, but these bubbles haven't gone away, despite tons of reviews and comments on people saying this skimmer has worked for them flawlessly.... Even out of the box!!

I don't know what to do. I have tried different heights and disassembling and reassembling. Short of asking for CAD to look at it, or buy something else, does anyone have an idea of what to do ?

ycnibrc
06/29/2014, 06:41 PM
if you put it next to the return pump you will get micro bubble in your tank. May be try to put some foam where the water exit and diffuse the bubble.

FranktheTankTx
06/29/2014, 07:04 PM
^^^ What he said

TexMedic
01/05/2015, 04:06 AM
I am facing the same issue. I have a PLS-50 Elite in my Mini 8g and it is producing a lot of microbubbles. Too much, in my opinion to be good for the tank.
It's only been going for 3-4 days now, but it's still noisy and dumping bubbles in to my tank, while at the same time skimming nothing from the tank.

The noise that it makes causes me to think that I received a defective pump. I have emailed CAD Lights but those guys never seem to respond to questions.
Which sucks considering they also seem to feel that including instructions with anything they sell is too much to ask for.

I've searched the internet then tried every position and adjustment I found recommended for the PLS-50 and still have too many bubbles, and too much noise.
If placing a filter back there is the only suggestion you guys got to get rid of the microbubbles then I'm going to return it and look for something else. I'd rather just have something that works. Any suggestions?