PDA

View Full Version : do u guys buy that the surface of the water is were all the crud is?

brob22
06/05/2014, 09:10 AM
i have a hob skimmer that doesnt skim the surface. im alittle freaked out b cause i here claims that the surface of the water is where i should b skimming.

is there any merit to this?

thx

disc1
06/05/2014, 10:30 AM
Surface skimming has nothing to do with your skimmer. Two completely different concepts. Most of us run skimmers in stumps with submersible pumps. You couldn't get further from the water surface.

Surface skimming refers to having your overflow catching water from the surface so that if anything is floating there it gets caught.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/05/2014, 10:36 AM
The top surface of the tank water does attract organic matter just the way the air/water interface does inside a skimmer. So taking this water into a skimmer effectively increases the capability of the skimmer.

But there is lots of organic matter in the water itself, and removing that alone is very useful.

If you do not have any sort of overflow, the tank water might get a film on it that can reduce gas exchange, and it would be useful to remove it somehow.

disc1
06/05/2014, 10:59 AM
If you do not have any sort of overflow, the tank water might get a film on it that can reduce gas exchange, and it would be useful to remove it somehow.

To me this is what people are talking about when they mention "surface skimming"

brob22
06/05/2014, 11:14 AM
thanks Randy and disc1

i wasnt really refering to surface skimming. i was more worried about my skimmer not performing toits max b cause i dont have an overflow.

do u guys think i need to drill the tank or do uthink i should try a mod on the skimmer?

i have lots of surface aggitation but i just want to make the most of my skimmer.

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/05/2014, 11:24 AM
As I said, surface skimming can make the skimmer more efficient, but isn't required. If you have lots of turbulence that drives the organic surface later into the water, then that effect is not going to be especially important. :)

tmz
06/05/2014, 11:24 AM
I'd personally add an overflow or something like it to reduce surface buildup/film of hyrophobic and or amphipathic organics if that's occurring. Otherwise you may not need it with surface agitation.

do u guys buy that the surface of the water is were all the crud is?

Not all of the organics go the air water interface. Cleaning detritus and using GAC help as well as skimming .

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/05/2014, 11:28 AM
To me this is what people are talking about when they mention "surface skimming"

Yes, I agree, but I expect it can function as a precollection method for a skimmer that gets water from it. :)

brob22
06/05/2014, 11:39 AM
i see

thx

ill probbaly add an overflow

Reefvet
06/05/2014, 11:58 AM
Many people run reef tanks quite successfully with HOB skimmers alone. If the skimmer is effective the minimal effect of a surface film is negated by the gas exchange taking place in the skimmer.

I've got a 37gal tank in my kitchen with no overflow because there's no practical place to put a sump. It runs with a HOB skimmer only and even the most difficult SPS are growing beautifully.

tmz
06/05/2014, 02:08 PM
FWIW,

This device added to my canister filter intake hose takes care of surface film on a high bioload 65 gallon tank:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12703&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525413174&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530005150000091155&cadevice=c

I have used several powerheads pointed at the surface and still accumulated the film .Probably didn't push it down far enough. Some hob skimmers employ similar water uptake add ons to get the feed water for the skimmer from the surface.

hilgert
06/05/2014, 05:53 PM
I run one of these in my system: Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-comline-doc-skimmer-9004.html)

It "skims the surface" (the intake is from the surface). I *think* it's better than not skimming from the surface, but unlike most other things in my system I've not put much thought into this...I got it for free from friend who changed to a different skimmer (free=good).

I do have to say (plug to Tunze here) this thing seems to suck more snot out of my system than the "non-surface" skimmers I've tried in the past (the collection cup has a much darker, and "less wet", skimmate in it). If that is a result of "skimming the surface" I cannot say for sure.

brob22
06/05/2014, 07:52 PM
thx for the posts guys

i got a deltec mce600 on my 30 gal, maybe i can make a mod or somethin

Xavibear
06/05/2014, 07:59 PM
I use an aquamaxx hob on a 36g. One of my powerbeads is angled towards the top of the tank. No crud or oily film on the water.

brob22
06/05/2014, 10:04 PM
thx for the post

idont have an oil surface either. does ur hob keep the tank clean?

and the aquamax doesnt take the surface water, right?

Xavibear
06/05/2014, 11:15 PM
It keeps the tank very clean. It doesn't take surface water.

Scorpius
06/05/2014, 11:38 PM
Surface skimmer I use on my 25 gal nano works great. I put it on a timer to run at night since it eats fish food faster than my fish can. :lmao:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=28003

hilgert
06/06/2014, 01:45 PM
Surface skimmer I use on my 25 gal nano works great. I put it on a timer to run at night since it eats fish food faster than my fish can. :lmao:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=28003

This seems cool, but it would appear to me that this is more of a "crud grinder and redistribution system." While it "skims", you are still left with the crud in your system you might not want.

But it is cool...never seen it before.

Reefvet
06/06/2014, 05:39 PM
thx for the posts guys

i got a deltec mce600 on my 30 gal, maybe i can make a mod or somethin

AquaC makes an overflow box (http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaC_Remora_Pro_Pre_Skimmer_For_Rio%2b_1400_Powerhead_Accessories_for_Aquarium_Reef_Protein_Skimmer s-AquaC-AC3311-FIPSAC-vi.html) that you can add to do surface skimming. You could probably makes something similar pretty easily.

hunt16
06/06/2014, 08:33 PM
Id love to figure out how to get rid of the slick completely.
I have an overflow along with 2 returns and a hydor evo power head disrupting the surface and i still get a little in the corners. It's ugly.
I also have a vertex omega 150 skimmer. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Scorpius
06/07/2014, 09:25 AM
This seems cool, but it would appear to me that this is more of a "crud grinder and redistribution system." While it "skims", you are still left with the crud in your system you might not want.

But it is cool...never seen it before.

The foam filter block in the filter catches everything. It's like a pseudo filter sock.

tmz
06/07/2014, 10:43 AM
Id love to figure out how to get rid of the slick completely.
I have an overflow along with 2 returns and a hydor evo power head disrupting the surface and i still get a little in the corners. It's ugly.
I also have a vertex omega 150 skimmer. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
What is the rate of water exchange via the overflows and return pump.?Increasing it may be a helpful option.

mm949
06/07/2014, 10:52 AM
agitate the surface of the water with a power head, make sure it' strong enough to rip the entire surfice