PDA

View Full Version : I know blennies are quirky, but...

novadan67
06/05/2014, 09:57 AM
I've had a tailspot blenny in quarantine for almost 2 weeks. He/she seems to be doing very good, eating a lot and not seeming too stressed. This morning when I fed it, I saw something that scared me. The fish was swimming very strange. It would take a bite to eat and then roll over, like a dog! It did this 2 or 3 times and then seemed to go back to it's usual swimming motion. To me, if I EVER see a fish upside down, it just looks bad. Is this something to be concerned about? Do blennies occasionally "roll over"? This is my first time keeping a blenny, I've searched and searched and cannot find anything about this behavior.

Xavibear
06/05/2014, 10:00 AM
There is a reason that escenius blennies are also called comical blennies.

Scott07
06/05/2014, 12:18 PM
oddly, I also have a tailspot blenny in QT at the moment. While I've never seen him "roll over"... I have seen him engage in some very comical behavior. I've witnessed him almost bend himself in half, touch his tail w/ his face real quick... and then go back about with his business as though nothing happened lol. Never had a fish do that before haha.

Sk8r
06/05/2014, 12:19 PM
Marine fish swim at all sorts of funny angles.

novadan67
06/05/2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks, so you guys are saying nothing to worry about? Just seeing a fish belly up (if even for an instant) kicks in my "that's not right" instincts. I'll just keep observing the little guy.

My daughter says the blenny reminds her of a dog because of the way it curls up and sleeps and interacts with us when we feed it. This rolling over trick takes it to another level!

Fish Biscuit
06/05/2014, 03:41 PM
Keep an eye on him, just sounds like the usual silly blenny behavior but I've never seen one roll over lol. They are very dog like in their behavior. I used to have a tailspot that would sit on the mag float & watch me work along with kissing the glass right at me on occasion.

novadan67
06/06/2014, 08:35 AM
I watched him a little more last night. The fish seems totally fine, it eats and swims normally except when doing this "roll over" trick. It almost seems like some kind of territorial (or mating) behavior as it only does this when it's really close to my Yasha goby. They've been in the QT for about 2 weeks and I've never seen any aggression, but the blenny often swims right next to the goby and now it's doing this strange tip on it's side and roll over motion.