PDA

View Full Version : Radion Gen 2 Graph for Soft coral tank

Chainman
06/05/2014, 05:07 PM
Wondering if anyone can help me with settings and intensity for a soft coral tank? I want to be able to put soft corals all the way to the top of my rock. Tank is 93 gallon Marineland cube 36"x36"x27". Radion is about 8 inches above waterline and rock stops about 4 inches bellow water line. Have been running Jon's graph (50%)for about 8 months but intensity is too high. Leathers bleach out if more than half way up. I plan to start gradually lowering intensity but was just wondering if anyone has experience with soft only.

Thanks
Chainman

mfinn
06/07/2014, 07:51 AM
Not sure if you used the acclimation program or not, but if you didn't, you should have.

I have 3 gen 1's over my mixed/softy tank and the intensity is at 65%.
I used the acclimation program for 4 weeks starting at 40%.
I used the high growth program, but changed it a little. The first high point on the graph, I double clicked on it and changed that to a 20k color. Did the same for the other high point. Then in the middle of the 2 high points, I created another point and made that 14k.

On your tank, I might find some higher light tolerating corals like maybe some encrusting monti's or favias, or raise the light up higher by 3-4 inches and drop the height of the live rock.

Chainman
06/07/2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I acclimated my corals by starting on sand bed and moving them up approximately 2 inches every 2 weeks.
I think I will build a new hood about 4 inch higher(never like the original one I built).
Just wonder how this will effect my zoanthids on rocks sitting on the sand bed.

Chainman

mfinn
06/07/2014, 04:04 PM
If the zoanthids look like they are reaching ( stalks getting longer) then move them up a little off the sand bed.

I'd still look into re-aqua scaping a little. If you live rock is 4" from the waters surface, it doesn't leave much room for coral to grow upwards. just my 2 cents.

Chainman
06/07/2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks again. Got the aquascape down to about 6 to 7 inches.