PDA

View Full Version : Kalk stirrer

blink
06/06/2014, 01:39 PM
Are people still using kalk with top off water?

ca1ore
06/06/2014, 02:05 PM
I do, but I'm old ....

garyinco
06/06/2014, 03:25 PM
Yes. And I'm an old coot too.

Donkeykong
06/06/2014, 03:59 PM
I do, that with frequent water changes keeps my calcium up, but I have a mixed reef with only a medium load on my calcium. SPS dominated tanks and things like clams can be a huge drain which will cause you to take further actions to maintain your water levels such as 2 part dosing or calcium reactor

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/06/2014, 05:30 PM
I do, but from a settled reservoir, not with a reactor. I prefer the reservoir method. :)

supra400hptt
06/07/2014, 11:12 AM
I have a dosing pump that pulls water from top off container and sends it through an avast kalk reactor. I also dose 2 part. Tried mixing kalk in my gravity fed ato but it would clog the float valve over time.

firemountain
06/07/2014, 03:16 PM
I have a dosing pump that pulls water from top off container and sends it through an avast kalk reactor. I also dose 2 part. Tried mixing kalk in my gravity fed ato but it would clog the float valve over time.

Do you happen to have the Avast ATO with the peristaltic pump as well...if so how do you like the setup? Getting ready to buy their ATO in the upcoming weeks, and just want some feedback.

supra400hptt
06/07/2014, 07:59 PM
I have the avast peristaltic pump feeding the kalk reactor run by an apex. When I first got it, it was making a clicking noise when running. Sounded like two plastic parts hitting one another. Was going to return it but got busy with other things. Over a few months it seems to have quieted and I've not noticed any noise lately. I would buy again. I considered going with with the BRS higher flow peristaltic since I have three of the low flows, but it has a lot of bad reviews. Went with the avast.

firemountain
06/07/2014, 09:20 PM
Ok...cool. I heard they just redid their peristalic for 2014 and are quieter than the previous version. I spoke with Justin from Avast last week, and he was very helpful and informative. Definitely going to buy their setup...thanks.

ca1ore
06/07/2014, 10:10 PM
FWIW, I just bought one of the Avast diaphragm pumps for my ATO and so far very happy with it.

firemountain
06/08/2014, 04:56 AM
FWIW, I just bought one of the Avast diaphragm pumps for my ATO and so far very happy with it.

Good to know....thanks. I have decided to put my ATO in the basement and need the peristaltic pump for the headroom. Plus I like that it can be mounted above/below the water surface and not have to worry about back siphoning.

snowboard1
06/09/2014, 04:48 PM
I am, with a aqua medic stirrer. Keeps my PH up where it should be...

chema
06/10/2014, 11:36 AM
I use Kalk with a Aqua Medic stirrer and it's great to keep the pH in place. The best trick I have found is to feed the stirrer by means of a peristaltic pump. When I used a regular pump the high flow and some air sent by the pump disrupted the kalk at the bottom of the stirrer, sending a cloud to the exit and making the addition pretty unstable.

Timber77
06/12/2014, 06:43 PM
I have used calk reactor and calcium reactor for about 20 years, have not seen any reason to modify.