PDA

View Full Version : diy plywood stand question

saintsnsinners
06/07/2014, 12:20 AM
I've built plenty of stand out of 3/4" birch, was wondering if 1/2" is sufficient for a 40b size? I notice all of the cheapie stands at petco are only 1/2", even the larger ones.

StaghornE
06/07/2014, 03:58 AM
Just make sure that you have all your pieces running the full length of each other at right angles to minimize bending and attach the pieces to each other with a 1x1 cleat so your nails or staples hold. Honestly it's only a few buck more for 3/4 which will won't bend as easily and be easier to fasten. Good luck either way

Indymann99
06/07/2014, 05:45 AM
+1 above, I am sure the strength would be fine (if properly constructed) but the 3/4 will be easier to get good joints.

sleepydoc
06/07/2014, 08:58 AM
The stand for my 120 is made from ½" furniture board which is weaker than actual plywood. You should be just fine, assuming it's designed properly

asudavew
06/07/2014, 09:07 AM
The stand for my 120 is made from ½" furniture board which is weaker than actual plywood. You should be just fine, assuming it's designed properly

+1
:fish1:

Frostslasher
06/07/2014, 03:41 PM
Agreed. I think all too often DIY stands are way overbuilt. That is of course because they provide peace at mind, but structurally are overkill.

muttley000
06/07/2014, 06:30 PM

Agree also, you could make it out of paper and hold it up, not that I would recommend that. Also there are several glue joints you could use that are stronger than the plywood if executed properly.

StaghornE
06/11/2014, 09:47 PM
Here again being that this is DIY and assuming you don't have a shop full of tools using 3/4 plywood is going to make it easier to assemble. You can also make your doors out of 3/4 ply. Whereas a piece of 1/2" WILL warp unless you attach another piece of wood to the back to keep them strait. A 3/4 glue joint and finish nails will be sufficient to assemble it. If you want to use screws drill pilot holes to keep the plywood from splitting. Use #8 all purpose coarse thread screws (available at any hardware store) which will give you allot more holding power than wood screws. Good luck