PDA

View Full Version : Changing the color of LEDs

jessejames213
06/07/2014, 02:51 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to change the color of a led without actually changing the actual led itself .im talking about the type of led fixtures that have LEDs with optic lenses over the LEDs . Is there a special type of colored sticky film or transparent sticker you can put on the optic lens of a white led to make it blue,red, green ect....

sean-820
06/09/2014, 06:15 PM
You should change out the LED if you want it for anything more then pure aesthetics. A blue film in front of a white led is not the same as a blue LED for example.

NavyBlueSea
06/09/2014, 06:36 PM
It will change the visible color to the eye but dampen the output of the led as sean-820 pointed out you should change the color/wavelength of the diode itself.

jessejames213
06/15/2014, 09:29 PM
I want it more for aesthetics I just have a led fixture where the ratio is to much whit to blue

jessejames213
06/15/2014, 09:30 PM
Will the film at least give the corals better color ?

Kolognekoral
06/16/2014, 10:09 AM
Jessie,

how long have you been using this fixture? Colouring-up your corals will take time and the lighting is only part of the equation. Water chemistry and movement actually play stronger roles. Most corals will adapt one way or the other, given a chance.

If you want more blue and want to help your corals, then add another fixture with the desired blue part of the spectrum. Covering a white LED will do little for the aesthetic one way or the other and may actually be a hazard.

To be honest, if the corals are growing well, then reducing the light (covering the white) will only bring negative results. If they are not growing, i would look at other parameters before changing/augmenting the lighting, even though this may be the final solution.

J.