PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer or Refugium

oseymour
06/07/2014, 06:50 AM
I have a 37 gallon display tank with a small 11 gallon sump. I have 8 fish and some soft corals.

I test and most of my parameters are good, Magnesium, Calcium, Phosphates are close to zero my nitrates are about 20ppm. It was closer to 40 and not waiting until my filter socks were overflowing before changing them cut the nitrates in half.

The tank is in my living room and I would really hate to have a HOB skimmer. It messes up the elegance of the tank.

My second chamber is a refugium where Chaeto grows like crazy with miracle mud and the sump substrate. Should I take out the chaeto and put a skimmer in the middle chamber. The fit is tight but I think I can find one to fit there.
I tried the Tunze 9002 in the third chamber but it was too weak to pull anything.

sean-820
06/07/2014, 07:03 AM
If your tank is running fine as it is i'd just continue running a refuge until a point where your bioload exceeds its ability. Perhaps just up the water changes to remove the nitrates.

oseymour
06/07/2014, 07:53 AM
Does it matter if I put the skimmer in the same chamber as the return pump? Maybe I can find a HOB to hang on sump.

I've been doing 5 to 10 gallons a week. I was using the API tap walter filter which basically is DI. (we have good water here in NYC) and it used to come out 0 TDS. I recently upgraded to a 4 stage RODI system.

rick12
06/07/2014, 08:02 AM
I go skimmerless on a 50g with a ten gal sump and I do similar water changes. System is successful.
I also have two larger systems and the skimmers are in the same compartment as the return and no issues. They pull gunk just fine.

oseymour
06/07/2014, 09:04 AM
I go skimmerless on a 50g with a ten gal sump and I do similar water changes. System is successful.
I also have two larger systems and the skimmers are in the same compartment as the return and no issues. They pull gunk just fine.

Thanks for this answer this really helps. I'll give it a few more weeks with the RODI water and regularly changing filter socks. I was able to bring it down by half with just the filter socks. I just ordered another pair so now I'll have 3 pairs to rotate.

oseymour
06/07/2014, 10:19 AM
Just like to add that I have a small reactor somewhere.....would running some kind of media in that help to reduce and control nitrates?

I already read about Chemi-pure and some other nitrate reducing pads?