PDA

View Full Version : Local vendor E-mail about Magnifica's.

Reefahholic
06/07/2014, 12:27 PM
Trying to find a local vendor that will contact me or keep in contact with me and sell me Mag's with color when they hit their store or stock list. Very difficult to get cheap mag's with nice color. Here is his reply:

Jared, the anemones are not kept where we are located. Nearly all vendors (and local stores) are using the same US Importer so something like what you want is almost never available to the Internet sellers. On early Monday mornings (most inventory comes in Sun night/Monday morning) the local store owners descend on this supplier like locust and immediately snap up anything rare and unusual. We can make requests and they might try to "save" something for us, but in most cases it is first come, first served. By the time they send us an updated inventory list/count, the "locust" have already finished their eating. Back when I owned a pet store I would order marine fish on Monday night and receive my order Tuesday night and I was lucky if 60% of my order was shipped, the rest was sold out before they packed my order. I was in the same town as the wholesaler on vacation once and went by on a Monday morning and store owners were literally pushing each other out of the way and chasing the same fish with nets. It was total chaos. I watch one dealer buy all the unusual fish that were never available for me to buy and actually got in my car and followed him to his pet store to see just where he was putting all these fish. I will admit it was a pretty impressive display but the tanks were filled. I remember he had 10 FuManchu Lionfish and I could only rarely get one for my store. I guess the motto is, if you see something unusual you really want, better bite the bullet and pay the price, it might not come back around for a long time.
Sorry to be such a downer.

Pinkskunk
06/07/2014, 01:17 PM
thanks for sharing. it is the same here in a LFS when the order comes in. most reefers will snatch up the bag with the item right out of the shipping box. i can imagine what a wholeseller scene look like

some online retails now skip the wholeseller and go straight to the source from oversea, basically skip the middle-man and ship direct.

Reefahholic
06/07/2014, 02:18 PM
thanks for sharing. it is the same here in a LFS when the order comes in. most reefers will snatch up the bag with the item right out of the shipping box. i can imagine what a wholeseller scene look like

some online retails now skip the wholeseller and go straight to the source from oversea, basically skip the middle-man and ship direct.

I'm fixing to fly out to the Maldives and skip em all. I'm gonna go dive and get exactly what colors I want. Come back and frag them. Distribute among friends and fellow reefers, and if that beautiful blue dies, I'll be able to go back to his clones.

Seriously, you can get the license to go dive and bring back a few to the US.

I think it would be an awesome trip. Imma grab a few Gig too! :-) lol

D-Nak
06/07/2014, 08:18 PM
As pink skunk mentioned, it's my understanding as well that many LFS are augmenting their wholesale orders with transshipped orders from collection sites.

Keep in mind that magnifica are like BTAs... They are very common because most are colonial, but rare color morphs are rare for a reason... They typically don't fare well to forced propagation.

Reefahholic
06/07/2014, 11:25 PM
As pink skunk mentioned, it's my understanding as well that many LFS are augmenting their wholesale orders with transshipped orders from collection sites.

Keep in mind that magnifica are like BTAs... They are very common because most are colonial, but rare color morphs are rare for a reason... They typically don't fare well to forced propagation.

Yeah, too bad we don't live in Hong Kong!

Kaman8
06/08/2014, 08:47 AM
Yeah, too bad we don't live in Hong Kong!

That is the same as us here. You guys want Indo species and we want Caribbean species. I want a sunburst bta and it is not possible to get it here.

Reefahholic
06/09/2014, 04:42 PM
Jared, I have no way to see what comes in, they are in California and I am in Ohio. All of our freshwater fish and live plants are here in my building, so those things would be a non issue but unfortunately that is not what you are after. The colored specimens you are referring to will never make the inventory list our system is tied to at the wholesaler. 99% will be brown or tan, or on occasion might have some pink. Those colored specimens you are looking for would be either cherry picked by local shops who go into the wholesaler in person during the day, or they will end up making it to countries in the Asian markets before they even come into the United States. Many of the higher end fish for example, end up in Japan, where they are willing to pay 3x what American keepers are. If any of the local California shops pick them up, they will charge 4x the normal going rate for a Ritteri even though they have paid the same price as if it were tan.

I'm sorry I don't have better news, but with the way we are set up, I don't have a way to see what arrives in the dozens of shipments per week our wholesaler receives.

M Woodhill
06/09/2014, 05:01 PM

i work in intl trade and things aint as simple. when its coming to trade and business, its about regulation, lobbying and profitable operation

steventaylor702
06/09/2014, 05:22 PM
Here in Vegas one of the shops out here have a green with pink tips the looks good

M Woodhill
06/09/2014, 08:14 PM
Here in Vegas one of the shops out here have a green with pink tips the looks good

good stuff sure in vegas, :bounce2:

Reefahholic
06/09/2014, 08:16 PM
Seems like California has a lot of selection too.

M Woodhill
06/09/2014, 09:05 PM
Seems like California has a lot of selection too.

yup, LA is the major hub and drs. froster and smith is a major importer so they're very accessible to good things

Reefahholic
06/09/2014, 09:19 PM
yup, LA is the major hub and drs. froster and smith is a major importer so they're very accessible to good things

There are a ton of reefers in Cali and NY