PDA

View Full Version : Unrest in a newly ULNS

jharding08
06/07/2014, 12:54 PM
I moved in January 2014 and had to reestablish my tank. New sand, live rock from old tank that was kept in containers with powerhead and heat, new water.

I have had cyano or rust colored film algae attached to my rock and sand bed since the tank came back up, so called "New Tank Syndrome".

I have had chaeto in the sump with the rocks, but not enough room for it to tumble, it just sits there. Also, it gets the opposite photoperiod of the tank. I put GFO online when my phosphates reached .30 about a month ago. I started with 1/4 of a TLF150 reactor, low tumble.

I am currently experiencing alot of invertebrate die off. Trochus snails, nassarius snails, even my serpent star has lost all of its legs.

I tested my params today and they read SG 1.026 (Milwakee Digital Refractometer), P04 0.0-0.03 (Hanna Checker, 2 tests), NO3 0 (Salifert).

Why would the algae be there and the inverts dying? All of my coral's polyps are retracted too (hammer, torch, milli). My green slimer has base tissue necrosis as well.

Fun times :rolleye1:. I do water changes once a week (15 gallons), change out filter socks 1-2x week (three of them), empty out skimmer once a week.

Any ideas? Did I drop PO4 too fast? Is the chaeto dying off with no nutrients to consume?

ALH
06/07/2014, 02:17 PM
Ulns?

Xavibear
06/07/2014, 02:24 PM
Algae will bind up NO3 & PO4 so that it doesn't show up on tests.

You should also test for copper, alk, KH & mag especially if you are having problems with inverts.

ReeferBill
06/07/2014, 02:40 PM
I think you had a mini cycle , I would try boosting my biological filter with some Fritzyme 9 or some other good enzyme product to help with your recycle! Follow directions on label and good luck. I always had good results with it.