PDA

View Full Version : Fallow DT Questions (Ich)

shesacharmer
06/08/2014, 07:33 AM
Leaving my 75 gal DT fallow for 12 weeks due to Ich outbreak. I just want to verify that the corals and inverts, including RBTA, are all fine to leave in the DT? It must simply remain fish free.

What is "normal" maintenance for the DT during these weeks regarding water changes and feeding of corals and inverts? I assume just carry on with weekly water testing and reduce the number of water changes? Feed individual corals and make sure the inverts get a little something to eat?

Can some of the experts weigh in on this aspect of TT curing of Ich? I feel the instructions are very thorough regarding the actual TT and subsequent QT but not so much how to run the fallow DT during the 12 weeks.

Sorry if I missed this information thread elsewhere on the forum.

shesacharmer
06/08/2014, 11:16 AM
Really? 20 people looked at this post and no one has any suggestions? I guess I'll just run the tank like it just finished cycling and has no fish yet.

bnumair
06/08/2014, 11:25 AM
ich need a fish host to continue its life cycle. 10 weeks is what i generally recommend but longer the better chance it dies completely. cuc/inverts are fine in the tank they wont host ich.
Feed the corals as u do normally and for cuc once a week (feeding very little /not really required). regular maintenance water changes skimmer etc remain in effect just like normal.
I am not an expert on TT but just in case you need to do cupramine or hypo here is link to 2 of my guides that may help.
Good luck
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20614751#post20614751
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2300497

Pigpen17
06/08/2014, 11:30 AM
I dropped some food for my CUC from time to time, but I was told you really don't have to. I also hand fed my cleaner shrimp a bit if clam once a week. Again, I was told I didn't have to, but me and him became great friends!

whosurcaddie
06/08/2014, 11:31 AM
Really? 20 people looked at this post and no one has any suggestions? I guess I'll just run the tank like it just finished cycling and has no fish yet.

There are a lot of newbies in this section of the forums. Which is probably why you got 20 views and no responses because they just don't know. There are a ton of knowledgeable people here that will help you.

Your CUC will sustain your bio filter during the fallow stage. 10 weeks is a good amount of time better to be safe than sorry.

Of course there's always Chloroquine phosphate.

shesacharmer
06/09/2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. If I'm feeding my shrimp and CUC sparingly and feeding my corals twice a week, and the anemone of course, do you think I need to continue to run the skimmer? Perhaps I should run it until it stops producing skimmate?

gone fishin
06/09/2014, 08:47 AM
I would continue to operate the tank normally. You may produce less skimate but you may be surprised. just my 2 cents

Pigpen17
06/09/2014, 09:54 AM
I ran everything normal. Skimmer. Water changes weekly. Except fir feeding I ran the tank as if there was a fish in it.

shesacharmer
06/09/2014, 11:28 AM
Great, that's very helpful. Thanks everybody!

Craigdillman
06/09/2014, 12:12 PM
Yea as above keep everything the same, if you have any coral food like reef roids or marine snow to supplement the corals that would be good, and like you said keep feeding them

snorvich
06/09/2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. If I'm feeding my shrimp and CUC sparingly and feeding my corals twice a week, and the anemone of course, do you think I need to continue to run the skimmer? Perhaps I should run it until it stops producing skimmate?

Best responses would have come in the fish disease forum. But the short answer is run your tank as normal just with no fish. skimmer is fine, feeding your clean up crew lightly is fine.

shesacharmer
06/15/2014, 10:41 AM
I thought that not having any fish in my tank would be boring but quite the contrary! Due to having to re-scape my tank to catch the fish I've uncovered a BUNCH of new hitchikers that I didn't know were in there...a GIANT bristleworm (very canny), at least 8 Stomatella which are now becoming very brave, a tiny patch of green bubble algae which will have to do despite disturbing my candycane coral, and a red suspect that "might" prove to be red bubble algae. Several feather dusters too. This fallow thing is not so bad but honestly, once is enough!

Pigpen17
06/15/2014, 11:09 AM
I thought that not having any fish in my tank would be boring but quite the contrary! Due to having to re-scape my tank to catch the fish I've uncovered a BUNCH of new hitchikers that I didn't know were in there...a GIANT bristleworm (very canny), at least 8 Stomatella which are now becoming very brave, a tiny patch of green bubble algae which will have to do despite disturbing my candycane coral, and a red suspect that "might" prove to be red bubble algae. Several feather dusters too. This fallow thing is not so bad but honestly, once is enough!

Yeah, it's crazy. I had a party at my house and everyone was in the office looking at my serpent star, cleaner shrimps, coral, and aquascape, equiptment. Every one was loving it. Ohhh! Ahhhh! And all with not a single fish in it!

I enjoyed my fallow time as well. Gave me lots of time to work on stuff in and on the tank and also to read, read, read. It sucks being put on hold, but in this hobby, time is your friend.