PDA

View Full Version : Sump & fuge design for 222G tank

Cshabz
06/08/2014, 08:37 AM
Hey guys, Recently got my dream tank which was setup at a friends, there's a thread about it called My new wife haha..

Anyway, I'm taking some time off to better the system and first thing i was looking at was the Refugium.. take a look at how it currently is and my very poor attempt at a new design drawing.. dont laugh! haha

Let me know what you think and what I can better..

The tank is home to a variety of marine life..

The sumps dimensions are 4ft Length, 40cm H & W

Cheers

Thanks guys

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/4enu5ava.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/upyvemas.jpg

Cshabz
06/08/2014, 08:43 AM
I realise the pictures arent good, so just went and got a better one..

From the skimmer onwards, there are no baffles.. its just the skimmer and the return pump & heater..

That's why on the paper I've marker the glass that Id want to be adding in more red..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/7e2asahy.jpg

Cshabz
06/08/2014, 08:54 AM
Sorry i meant Sump.. which i want to add a refugium to :)

whosurcaddie
06/08/2014, 09:34 AM
Your layout looks great. What are Marine Pure blocks never heard of them?

whosurcaddie
06/08/2014, 09:36 AM
Are those pressure locking sump baffles in there now. I made some of those on a tank I had years ago.

Cshabz
06/08/2014, 10:43 AM
Hey whos, Ye as far as i'm aware they are.. that's also what i'm trying to get with the drawn layout.. is that what you're saying is good? thank you :)

There's meant to be 3 baffles right after the skimmer, I didn't thicken the line enough.. but the aim is to force the water from the bottom of the fuge on the left.. upwards over a baffle on the right..

Ive read in a few forums it's good to have the water flow through the fuge rather than mainly over.. am I correct in saying so?

Cshabz
06/08/2014, 08:53 PM
whats everyone think about the UV after the sump?

Ive seen a few designs with the UV over the sump, it takes some water from the drain straight into the return..

whosurcaddie
06/09/2014, 01:38 PM
Hey whos, Ye as far as i'm aware they are.. that's also what i'm trying to get with the drawn layout.. is that what you're saying is good? thank you :)

There's meant to be 3 baffles right after the skimmer, I didn't thicken the line enough.. but the aim is to force the water from the bottom of the fuge on the left.. upwards over a baffle on the right..

Ive read in a few forums it's good to have the water flow through the fuge rather than mainly over.. am I correct in saying so?

Yes the drawn layout is what I'm referring too. Looks perfect to me. I don't have any experience with UV sterilizers so I cant comment on that.

The pressure locking baffles are great IMO. I had that tank up for years and didn't have single problem with them another bonus is your sump layout isn't set in stone if you want to change something in the future your free to do so without pulling out the hammer. Good luck.

Cshabz
06/10/2014, 06:33 AM
Hey Whos,

thank you, glad to hear about the layout

I'm sorry I think I mis-understood when you said pressure lock baffles..Mine do not move, they're siliconed on..
I'm still a bit of a newb! :)

I think I might change where the UV takes and dumps the water running through it.. so it skips the skimmer and fuge.. maybe