PDA

View Full Version : phosban reactor or not.

homegrowncichli
06/08/2014, 09:45 AM
For the past couple of years, I've been throwing 6 tablespoons of GFO into a loose filter sock and placing that into my overflow box every 6 months.
Yes it works and brought my 5 to 10ppm down to 2 ppm, but I can't get it lower than 2. So I'm wondering if forcing water through the a phosban 150 or some similar product I can DIY, will really make a difference.

OR, get another filter sock and double up on the GFO, since I'm simply not using enough.

kalgra
06/08/2014, 09:52 AM
Do you mean .5 - 1.0? If your phosphates are really 5-10ppm Id think you have some other issue and need to address the source first. Even 2 ppm is extremely high.

But to answer your question id think a reactor would work better.

homegrowncichli
06/08/2014, 10:31 AM
A few years ago, before I used GFO, I had a bubble tip anemone get sucked into a pump, which lead all my corals to detach from the skeleton. I measured and the P04 was between 5.0 and 10.0 ppm at that time. I've been using GFO ever since, just haven't worked out the dosage yet. The instructions say 1 tablespoon per 20 gallons/month and according to my test kit color chart, the water's been at 2ppm. Its never gone lower than that, but my corals seem to have recovered nicely since than.

I figure using the reactor would maximize efficiency of the media, but I wonder if simply using more GFO is a simpler solution and wondering if anyone out there was able to get PO4 down to zero without using one. In theory, one could use GFO as a gravel bed 1" to 2" deep in the sump and that should work. Or is GFO so inefficient that, I'm discarding unused GFO that's in the middle of the filter sock, unexposed to water flow.

billdogg
06/08/2014, 02:18 PM
I would think that a reactor would serve you better. You can set the flow rate where it should be to maximize the effectiveness of the GFO.

nickg
06/08/2014, 03:04 PM
BRS dual reactor works well for me

grigsy
06/11/2014, 09:21 AM
A reactor will help more. I have used the Bulk Reef Supply dual reactor and it worked great at reducing Phosphates. They have good GFO too.

Donkeykong
06/11/2014, 10:56 AM
First, yes a reactor makes the gfo much more effecient as you are ensuring that you are getting flow to all of the gfo not just the outs side of a media bag. But my bigger question is, if I understand your post, you are only change out the gfo every six months??? Most of us change that out every month and sometimes more depending on the bio-load. GFO get saturated meaning it can no longer absorb any more. If you are having elevated levels I am guessing that the gfo is saturated within the first month and then just sitting there doing nothing. If you dont get a reactor I would at least start changing out the gfo monthly and see if that helps bring down your levels down

kingdieselfish
06/11/2014, 01:30 PM
I just removed an emperor hang on filter that was being used for media and installed a Phosban reactor with carbon and Phosphate media. I can say there was a difference within days, especially with clarity. It is much more efficient, easier to change and less messy.

homegrowncichli
06/13/2014, 04:26 PM
What? every 6 months not enough? well, the PO4 levels have been at 2ppm for so long, I can't tell if the GFO is working or not. (saturated or unsaturated) I wish there was a calculator that would state how much GFO will reduce how much PO4 per gallon/time.

As for using a media bag in any standard hang on filter vs the fluidize bed filter, if you guys say its more effective, it must be so, though the only difference I can tell between the direction of water flow in the chamber being up instead of down or across, would be the anti-clogging nature of the fluidize bed when the water goes upwards.

azjohnny
06/13/2014, 04:38 PM
If your phosphate levels are bad enough the GFO could be changed out at least once a week, but I usually do it during the monthly WC

Lanthium Chloride is usually used for extreme cases
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474839

homegrowncichli
06/14/2014, 06:01 AM
hmm, when you do your weekly or monthly change, how much GFO:water volume do you use?

homegrowncichli
06/30/2014, 04:04 PM
So I've installed my BRS double reactor on the wall above the tank, but why is there air pooling inside the second chamber? Its hard to see, but the air as pooled outside the inner carbon chamber on the downward flowing side. The water line is currently at the sponge insert.
Also, instructions says I can use 2 cups of GFO inside the first chamber, so why not load it up fully and change it less frequently?

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/gallery/files/6/4/9/1/imag0366.jpg