PDA

View Full Version : No plywood or foam under tank for DIY stand? 180 marineland

andrewkw
06/09/2014, 07:26 AM
I picked up a 180 marineland reef ready tank on the weekend for all of $250 plus 25$ to rent a big van from home depot. Also got wood and followed RocketEngineer's DIY stand guide. I have built a couple of stands using this template but never one this big.

The thread is hundreds of pages long and I do see people saying you don't have to use either. Some say it will hinder, others say it will help.

I'm actually only setting up the tank short term. Moving my existing reef tank into this tank then eventually moving to a new house. Either way it likely won't fail in this time. The stand is pretty square and level within the center part of the level and with the addition of some shims I can probably make it even better. That said I already have the foam and the plywood. If it's going to hinder I will not use it, but if its going to help it will. Again this is a marineland 180 with trim on the bottom. I'm well aware marineland say not to use foam, but they also say only use their cheapo particle board stands that eventually become water soaked and unstable.

Hoping to get the tank on the stand as soon as I get some help getting it down to the basement.. My lifelong dream of starting a thread in the large tank forum is coming soon :)

jonwright
06/09/2014, 08:18 AM
they like the particle board because it's dead flat and cheap. Durability doesn't necessarily factor in - like most products today.

Using the ply on the top supports wouldn't hurt - the main deal is just that it's flat. Personally I wouldn't shim the aquarium itself - is that what you were saying?

Are you checking flatness with a straight edge? even if you put ply down it will form to the top so if the top isn't flat (not the same as level) you'll likely wind up with more of what you already have.

andrewkw
06/09/2014, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't shim the aquarium but the stand. I don't have the tank on the stand yet.

The stand sits level but not perfectly level. Its in the center of the level but not dead center. A few shims under the stand should do the trick.

If it's not going to help I won't bother and just use the plywood around the back and the sides of the stand.

Pife
06/09/2014, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't use foam on a rimmed aquarium.

callsign4223
06/09/2014, 08:25 PM
I went no plywood, no foam on my custom stand for my 110 gallon. I dry fit the top with 3/4 plywood and it didn't seem to make any difference and since the bottom rim was totally supported by the 2x6 frame I didn't see a benefit to the plywood.

SGT_York
06/10/2014, 10:11 AM
no foam on a glass rimmed tank, just add the foam or plywood on an acrylic or other type of tank that will require bottom support.

The standard glass tanks only need support on the plastic frame. The glass will support the weight by itself.

andrewkw
06/10/2014, 08:10 PM
thank you for the replies. Glad I made this thread.

ca1ore
06/11/2014, 07:14 AM
I'm well aware marineland say not to use foam, but they also say only use their cheapo particle board stands that eventually become water soaked and unstable.

Then you have your answer! ML say to use their stands because that is the only way they can guarantee that is it coplanar and thus offer a warranty on the tank.

Of course, knowing all that, I did build my own stand, had the tank drilled with extra holes after-market, and I do put foam under all my tanks. I figure if I'm going to void the warranty I'm going to REALLY void the warranty :lol:

asudavew
06/11/2014, 07:19 AM
Foam not required. A flat surface is. I feel better using plywood on the top of my stands. 2x4s are strong but aren't designed to build furniture.

NanoReefWanabe
06/11/2014, 07:43 AM
Then you have your answer! ML say to use their stands because that is the only way they can guarantee that is it coplanar and thus offer a warranty on the tank.

Of course, knowing all that, I did build my own stand, had the tank drilled with extra holes after-market, and I do put foam under all my tanks. I figure if I'm going to void the warranty I'm going to REALLY void the warranty :lol:

you also risk lifting the bottom of the tank out when you use foam under a rimmed tank…your home owners insurance likely won't cover damages from a improperly set tank…or any tank for that matter…but why risk it none-the-less…foam is not to be used under a rimmed tank it serves no useful purpose.

ca1ore
06/11/2014, 07:57 AM
Not if you use a rigid foam. I sat a 180 on foam for 10 years - so apparently any problems must set in beyond the first decade :) However, it is correct that on a properly installed stand, foam is not necessary; I just wonder how many DiY stands actually meet this standard. Anyhow, its an old debate .....

andrewkw
06/11/2014, 08:44 AM
This is the worst part of the stand as far as how level it is

http://andrewastro.smugmug.com/Other/180-gallon-reef-build/i-GCBv4qt/0/L/othersideslightlylesslevel-L.jpg

http://andrewastro.smugmug.com/Other/180-gallon-reef-build/i-388h6Zp/0/L/180standframe-L.jpg

I plan on using shims to correct it.

uncleof6
06/11/2014, 08:27 PM
Don't bother fixing (shimming) anything. It is hardly worth it in this case. I would be more concerned on whether there is a hump or twist in the stand, other than that minute amount of "out of level."

Ca1ore: you like to live dangerously. One of the few things the manufacturers actually get right is: NO FOAM (that includes rigid foam) under a rimmed tank. It voids the warranty on most any new tank, and there is absolutely no point to it. It does nothing but destabilize the support for the tank.

Foam is used to protect glass from point loading, due to surface imperfections in a solid top, depending on the design of the rimless tank. With a rimmed tank, there is no glass in contact with the stand top, and in fact a stand top is not necessary. The tank is supported by the rim, not the glass. The stand is not going to hurt the rim in anyway, unless the stand is out of whack, (in which case the tank self destructs) and foam will not correct an out of whack stand.

Consider yourself very lucky. :)

This is one of those things that has been tore up from the floor up by word of mouth... ;) Foam under an acrylic tank is also false. Though in this case it won't hurt anything, but it does absolutely nothing.

ca1ore
06/11/2014, 08:36 PM
Consider yourself very lucky. :)

I have 'foamed' all my rimmed tanks, close to 10 of them, over the course of almost 25 years. While I'd be willing to accept that 'fortune favours the foolish' I'm also inclined to think the risk is overblown; however, I do accept the logic of it not accomplishing anything and would probably not do it next time around.

sleepydoc
06/12/2014, 10:34 AM
If it's done right it won't harm the tank, but the problem is that it doesn't help it either and has the potential to cause problems => (potential) risk with no benefit.

The problem comes when the foam compresses enough that it places upward pressure on the botom of the tank inside the rim and/or the rim 'slips' over the edge of the foam so the foam is supporting the tank by its bottom and not the frame.

The fact that your tanks have done fine for 10 years says that you did it right!

woodnaquanut
06/12/2014, 01:52 PM
I have 'foamed' all my rimmed tanks, close to 10 of them, over the course of almost 25 years. While I'd be willing to accept that 'fortune favours the foolish' I'm also inclined to think the risk is overblown; however, I do accept the logic of it not accomplishing anything and would probably not do it next time around.

I have also put foam under rimmed tanks. Going on 50 years now. The first were stainless steel, aka meta frame.

The new generation of rigid foam doesn't compress much and there seems to be no way the foam could actually come in contact with the tank bottom.