PDA

View Full Version : Pepermint shrimp hosting an anemone?

Rob6311
06/09/2014, 11:19 AM
Is it common for a pepermint shrimp to "host" an anemone? I put host in perentheses b/c idk if what my shrimp is doing is actually hosting I know some shrimp can host anemones I just don't know if pepermint shrimp are one of them. Ok so I put my BTA in my tank a while ago, after a little bit in the tank the BTA hid under a rock and then after a few days it starting to come out and then go back in after a while and all this seemed normal from everything I've read but what didn't seem normal was my pepermint shrimp would follow the BTA no matter where it went and now even when the BTA as settled the shrimp hardly ever leaves it's side, but the shrimp never goes in the anemone and doesn't even touch the tenticals and that's what makes me confused it only stays by it's side and sometimes goes under the part that the tenticals are on. Is this considers hosting?

rale2001
06/09/2014, 03:32 PM
Its seems as though my cleaner shrimp is doing the same with with my carpet

Rob6311
06/09/2014, 07:30 PM
Yeah it's really weird and confusing like I've seen the shrimp touch the tenticals of the BTA with it's antemas, idk if it got stung or what by it but all I know is it sticks around and doesn't go far from it

ptr13
06/09/2014, 07:56 PM
I have seen ghost shrimps hosting in the wild but sort of wierd since peppermint shrimps are usually hiding underneath rocks, interesting.

OrionN
06/09/2014, 09:42 PM
The anemoes are the hosts and the fish are the tenants. I released 20 peppermints into my tank slowly and two fell victim to my carpets right away.

SNAKEMANVET
06/10/2014, 05:13 AM
The peppermints I had stayed near the anemone because it could get food from the anemone.I have seen them take food from the mouth of my rbtas.

Rippinfrags
06/10/2014, 08:18 AM
The peppermints I had stayed near the anemone because it could get food from the anemone.I have seen them take food from the mouth of my rbtas.

+1, your peppermint shrimp is stealing the food your bta is catching.

Rob6311
06/10/2014, 08:33 AM
That little bastard lol. Well my BTA seems to be doing good so I guess he's not causing any damage