PDA

View Full Version : zoa pox - furan-2 treatment for entire tank?

neuro
06/10/2014, 07:47 PM
has anyone used or heard of people using furan-2 on their entire tank?

i have a mixed reef tank, and it looks like zoa pox appeared all of a sudden one day. there is on easy way to get the zoas off to treat them separately.

A. Grandis
06/10/2014, 09:45 PM
One of the descriptions found online says:

"Furan 2 Anti-Bacterial Fish Medication contains two furan compounds to combat a wide variety of gram-positive & gram-negative bacterial diseases, including bacterial gill disease, open red sores (Aeromonas spp.), body slime & eye cloud, black molly disease (Flavobacterium columnaris) and fin & tail rot. For use in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. This medication will not harm the biological filter. Contains 10 powder packets. Use 1 packet per 10 gallons of water. Shipping weight: 1/6 lb."

If that was in my tank I wouldn't do it! Specially if the system was mature and with corals/fishes.
We know that gram-negtive bacteria are part of the biological filtration.

I would remove the rocks, frag the healthy zoas, glue them on plugs, clean the rocks and return the rocks to the system. Then I would treat the frags with Furan2 for zoa pox, independent of showing zoa pox or not, and return them to the system after a 2 week minimum quarantine. If the frags still had zoa pox after that, would be easy to threat, dipping them.

But I'm kinda crazy with treatments like that, so...
I just prefer to eradicate the problem at once, if I couldn't prevent the introduction of the pathogen.
Good luck!

Grandis.

neuro
06/11/2014, 11:35 AM
ack, gotcha. my rockwork is not something i'm privy to moving. i have no idea how i could even possibly do it without some major re-aquascaping that i don't have the capacity to do.

thanks for the advice!

650-IS350
06/11/2014, 12:04 PM
SUP BUD,

Do not use that in the main tank, you'll probably end up crashing the whole thing.

Furan 2 is used mainly as a dip or for a hospital tank. Separate treatment.

I've done small rock sections with dips but not large sections to continue to have the biological aspect alive in the main rock work. So that in case the small rocks im dipping die off, I have the main rocks to seed the small rock sections. But I also wont' immediately place the small rock work in the main tank, I leave it in small hospital tank then keep rinsing it with water from main tank that I take out from WC.

Just call me if you have question man.

neuro
06/11/2014, 05:01 PM
SUP BUD,

Do not use that in the main tank, you'll probably end up crashing the whole thing.

Furan 2 is used mainly as a dip or for a hospital tank. Separate treatment.

I've done small rock sections with dips but not large sections to continue to have the biological aspect alive in the main rock work. So that in case the small rocks im dipping die off, I have the main rocks to seed the small rock sections. But I also wont' immediately place the small rock work in the main tank, I leave it in small hospital tank then keep rinsing it with water from main tank that I take out from WC.

Just call me if you have question man.

yo thanks man, good to hear from you. I'll employ your strategy. Though, I don't have a QT tank right now, it's not going to be easy to get one setup either.

my pox isn't a huge problem right now, since it's no where near as bad as some of the pics I've seen. i had to really look at them super close to see it.

i just ordered furan and will be dipping anything i can frag off. I'll call you if I have any more questions!

still have no idea how i got it since i didn't put anything new into the tank in the last few months.

650-IS350
06/12/2014, 01:08 PM
Sometimes could be due to stress or tank temps.. who knows with Z's and P's.

I had some just appear out of the blue without adding any new polyps in the tank for months. To think of it I don't remember the last time I bought coral.

A. Grandis
06/12/2014, 11:33 PM
Long time no see, 650-IS350!
Great to have you here!

Grandis.

650-IS350
06/13/2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks, only pop in once in a while now.

A. Grandis
06/14/2014, 02:46 AM
:thumbsup:

neuro
07/05/2014, 05:13 PM
For those that are curious, furan 2 didn't do a thing for me. I isolated most of the infected zoas by cutting them off the base rock and did the treatments.

i'm thinking it may not have been zoa pox at all, as I was skeptical at first since the pictures didn't really match the pictures I saw online.

In any case, a small chunk of zoas died off, but i'm not too bummed about it. The event actually cleared some space that I wanted to prune. It only effected a 3"-5" area.

At the moment, the tank looks extremely healthy, and none of my zoas are experiencing stress or issues. knock on wood.

650-IS350
07/06/2014, 12:51 AM
nice news bud.

as long as the parameters are steady and good polyps should be good and easily replace the ones that died.

neuro
07/06/2014, 09:45 AM
I lost my sunny d's, but they're replaceable!

Thanks for the tips 650!