PDA

View Full Version : Fish in a 55Gal

clarkjtiger
06/11/2014, 09:05 AM
OK sorry for the newbie question. I have a 55gal reef tank, with 20gal sump W/refugium, 125gal skimmer, UV sterilizer, 1200gph return pump and 60lbs of LR.

I have 2 False P Clown fish, 1yellow foxface, 1 Lawnmower Blenny and 6 Blue Chromis. Inverts; 8 big hermits, 2 Emerald crabs, 10 Turbo snails and 1 BTA Anemone.

I wanted to add 1 powder blue tang and 1 yellow tang at a later date. Is this to many fish for a 55gal? Will the Biological support this? Any input is greatly appreciated!

MacWilliams
06/11/2014, 09:08 AM
Both the tangs need a far larger tank. Your Chromis will more than likely become 1 over time as they tend to fight among each other. How long has your tank been set up? You should look on Liveaquaria.com for fish and tank sizes for them.

Xavibear
06/11/2014, 09:20 AM
8 big hermits will eat you snails.

clarkjtiger
06/11/2014, 09:20 AM
The tank has been set up for over two months. I recently added the Chromis because a sale on Saltwaterfish.com, impulse buy my mistake. I have read that the Chromis are the less aggressive out of the Damsel family. I'm going to start adding more corals before any more fish. I really like the tangs for their color.

clarkjtiger
06/11/2014, 09:22 AM
Xavibear
I have found that out, I had 13 snails. The Hermits did make a big impact on the algae! Possibly another one of my mistakes. BTW this is my first Saltwater tank as well.

thegrun
06/11/2014, 09:29 AM
If you plan on this being full mixed reef with SPS corals I would say you are already maxed out as far as fish. I run a 50 gallon mixed reef tank and I try to limit the fish population in that tank to 7-8 small fish. As stated above the tangs are a no-go for your 55 gallon tank, it is way too small. You may get lucky with the Chromis, but usually in a smaller tank they will kill each other off until one is left; on the positive side they don't typically harass any of the other fish. In the future try to avoid impulse purchases, do your homework and have a plan.

clarkjtiger
06/11/2014, 10:31 AM
Ok I guess Tangs are off the list. This is off the subject but I have chaetomorpha in my fuge. It's not growing and seems to be dying off (at a very slow pace). Any Ideas

thegrun
06/11/2014, 10:53 AM
Ok I guess Tangs are off the list. This is off the subject but I have chaetomorpha in my fuge. It's not growing and seems to be dying off (at a very slow pace). Any Ideas

Lack of light or nutrients are the two usual problems. What are you using for light? Do you have the chaeto up high in the water, if it is too deep it will not get enough light and needs to be propped up on rock or an egg crate stand so it is near the surface. Also if you are running a low nutrient tank you may not be able to sustain it due to a lack of nutrients.

clarkjtiger
06/11/2014, 01:02 PM
Im using a 5500K light and fixture from Home Depot. I have heard of people letting it tumble? Anyone had any luck with that? Thanks for your responses thegrun.

thegrun
06/11/2014, 02:18 PM
You can let it tumble or if your refugium is tight like mine flip it over manually twice a week.