PDA

View Full Version : Ricordea Availability in US?

KindCorals
06/11/2014, 06:43 PM
Hey guys, I'm considering moving back to the states, not sure which state yet but employment opportunities will be a big consideration. I'm just wondering what the availability is like these days for the best colored floridas and yumas. Here in Australia, as you may have read, you need to be prepared to take out a second mortgage to be considered as a buyer for the better looking Ricordeas. Floridas are illegal here and the best yumas only pop up every so often and are usually auctioned to the highest 'private' bidder.

kichimark
06/11/2014, 09:37 PM
I see Ric's at LFS all the time of both varieties although the nicer yumas go for a lot more. The Ricordia Florida's go for around 10-20 depending on color.

philosophile
06/12/2014, 09:20 AM
Florida rics are very common. Yumas are less common, and many varieties you should expect to have them melt on you unless they are tank bred, like the more common orange/orange blue and "sunset" yellow orange green variety are pretty hardy.

KindCorals
06/17/2014, 02:25 AM
How often do you guys see Ricordea colonies for sale?

philosophile how is San Jose these days? I lived there for most of my life before moving to Australia 5 years ago. I had several large colonies of R.Florida in my tank years ago but only saw a handful of R.Yuma for sale over the years.

philosophile
06/17/2014, 08:43 AM
San Jose is great! Although we're losing LFS lately. I think in the last few years the city has been slowly improving the "boring" label that it's fairly earned. Small steps, but steps forward nonetheless.

Colonies aren't really common to come by. You're going to usually need to build your own. But there are ebay auctions for lots of 5-10 floridas often enough. And they're generally cheap enough that some people have made florida carpets for their sand beds. Coral morphologic used to be a great website for floridas, but they seem to have stopped selling retail.

KindCorals
06/18/2014, 01:32 AM
San Jose is great! Although we're losing LFS lately. I think in the last few years the city has been slowly improving the "boring" label that it's fairly earned. Small steps, but steps forward nonetheless.

Colonies aren't really common to come by. You're going to usually need to build your own. But there are ebay auctions for lots of 5-10 floridas often enough. And they're generally cheap enough that some people have made florida carpets for their sand beds. Coral morphologic used to be a great website for floridas, but they seem to have stopped selling retail.

That is why I left, I got really bored there. I did visit about 2 years ago and the introduction of all the pot clubs sure surprised me! That adds some excitement to the city lol

Thats too bad about colonies not readily available but as long as I can still build my own. I really cant wait to get a R.Florida collection again but for now, I will have to enjoy the yuma!

andyman
06/20/2014, 05:14 PM
If your in san francisco I've got a huge colony of orange yumas for sale. tank bred.

organism
06/23/2014, 04:42 PM
How often do you guys see Ricordea colonies for sale?

Every day. Several online sites sell them. You know how you guys have those Aussie Acan colonies everywhere down there since they're pulled from the ocean there? Well, here we've got Florida Rics for the same reason :)

fishlee
06/24/2014, 12:30 AM
Pretty common for about reasonable price for the regular ones

accordsirh22
06/24/2014, 12:58 AM
make sure you stay away from the puerto rico ones on ebay. i ordered a 25 pack, and the colors were wrong, the sizes were wrong, there were several doa. def go with a more reputable website

Reeferz412
06/25/2014, 10:39 AM
check craigslist. I see them all time for sale.

albano
12/19/2014, 07:12 AM
It seems that many Ricordia shippers /retailers in Florida, no longer list Ricordia as an available item for purchase...similar problem with flower anemones

650-IS350
12/19/2014, 11:14 AM
They're all over the internet, heck even Ebay.

liverock
12/20/2014, 10:21 AM
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu86/liverock/P1000545-1.jpg (http://s636.photobucket.com/user/liverock/media/P1000545-1.jpg.html)

Plenty available and rics also...pretty much everybody in Florida has them as they are endemic here...

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :spin1::spin1::spin1:

albano
12/20/2014, 01:46 PM
Plenty available and rics also...pretty much everybody in Florida has them as they are endemic here...

Richard TBS

And yet...I don't see them on your web site!

liverock
12/20/2014, 02:24 PM
And yet...I don't see them on your web site!

LOL.....the pic of the flowers...is from this weeks collection efforts......a lot of things I do not list on my site.....as I am the live rock and live sand guy....which I have all the time..........but I do now have some flowers..right now......$10 each on the flowers....

most everybody in Florida stocks them....look around....

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

atteb66
01/03/2015, 01:55 PM
Why are Ricordea Florida illegal in Australia?

tonysi
01/03/2015, 09:52 PM
Why are Ricordea Florida illegal in Australia?

Probably for the same reason why caulerpa isn't sold in California...it would become an invasive species.

chinchalice
01/05/2015, 09:02 PM
rice are easy to get!!! and you can find good deals for like $10 a shroom if you buy enough