PDA

View Full Version : Cyclop-eeze (freeze dried) alternatives??

Yodeling
06/11/2014, 10:29 PM
Apparently my beloved cyclop-eeze is no longer available anywhere. I use the freeze-dried kind from Argent and it makes up a significant portion the fish diet, especially some of my more finicky anthias. Are there alternatives?

hobbzz
06/11/2014, 10:51 PM
Tagging along. Didn't know the freeze dried was no longer available.

Reef Frog
06/11/2014, 11:22 PM
Can you find frozen Cycloo-eeze locally? PE mysis shrimp are sold together with cyclops-eeze in blister packs. IMO the frozen is much better as you don't have the problem if getting it to sink. It's also sold in the long Popsicle bar which is easy to use. Did they stop selling the freeze dried? I thought I just saw it in a Marine Depot catalog.

If you can't find it and dont want to use frozen, there are plenty of freeze dried zooplankton foods available, but they may contwin different sizes so you would have to know what size plankton is needed for anthias. Cyclops-eeze has plenty of cartanoids (so?) which is a valuable nutrient and said to help with coloration.

lhm nole
06/11/2014, 11:25 PM
Can you find frozen Cycloo-eeze locally? PE mysis shrimp are sold together with cyclops-eeze in blister packs. IMO the frozen is much better as you don't have the problem if getting it to sink. It's also sold in the long Popsicle bar which is easy to use. Did they stop selling the freeze dried? I thought I just saw it in a Marine Depot catalog.only way you get it is in the pe mysis twin pack all others unless they are old stock are no longer available

Yodeling
06/12/2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the responses. Let me clarify. Rumors are that ALL cyclop-eeze is gone due to low salinity of the salt lake where they are harvested. However, I'm only concerned with the freeze-dried variety since it's a staple food for the fish.

Sinking is not a problem. Several times a day, my feeder drops it in my sump where it hydrates and sinks and return pump shoots it into the tank. Fish chase it and eat it. This has worked very well for me. It gives the fish something to do around the clock, has great nutritional value, zero pollution, and is completely hands off. I also feed other foods of course.

I need a substitute for the above. What are the alternatives with similar properties to freeze-dried cyclops?

hobbzz
06/12/2014, 05:04 PM
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/freeze-dried-cyclops.html

Never used them before.

zoomonster
06/12/2014, 06:10 PM
That sucks... I was wondering why cyclop-eeze was "out of stock" pretty much everywhere when I was food shopping. Hopefully that will turn around near future.

lhm nole
06/12/2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the responses. Let me clarify. Rumors are that ALL cyclop-eeze is gone due to low salinity of the salt lake where they are harvested. However, I'm only concerned with the freeze-dried variety since it's a staple food for the fish.

Sinking is not a problem. Several times a day, my feeder drops it in my sump where it hydrates and sinks and return pump shoots it into the tank. Fish chase it and eat it. This has worked very well for me. It gives the fish something to do around the clock, has great nutritional value, zero pollution, and is completely hands off. I also feed other foods of course.

I need a substitute for the above. What are the alternatives with similar properties to freeze-dried cyclops?
From what I heard not sure if true its Argent is under new ownership something happened to old owner and they do not have proper collection permits and are trying to obtain them..And all old stock was sold to pristine

HumbleFish
06/13/2014, 08:20 AM
I've seen this available sometimes at Petsmart: http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean-Cyclop-Eeze-Supplement-Soft/dp/B002WYI96O

Spyderturbo007
06/13/2014, 11:47 AM
I wish I would have know this yesterday. I was at the LFS (about an hour away) and would have picked some up.

GreshamH
06/13/2014, 03:43 PM
From what I heard not sure if true its Argent is under new ownership something happened to old owner and they do not have proper collection permits and are trying to obtain them..And all old stock was sold to pristine

Both actually. They have not harvested in two years, this being the 3rd. Argent is a new company now as well, but that was after the no harvest issue.

skimjim
01/12/2015, 10:16 AM
It's my understanding that the guy who owned the lake and land where cyclop-eeze was harvested and processed, died.

The entire lake, land, processing and cyclop product is in a tied-up legal battle among the remaining sons and daughters disputing who owns what. Hense no product is being produced until a long legal battle is completed.